• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GUNS & AMMO

Reassembled the SKS

7a4fe365.jpg

Reassembled the SKS

Dutch, whats with the strange pattern and color there for camouflage???

Funny story. We were at Dick sports tonight and they had a "Hot Pink" bolt action rifle, my wife, without me saying anything............said; "What kind of color is that for, why would you take that into the woods? You will only be camouflaged in a Maybeline isle at Macy's, maybe?" ........... pretty funny at the time.

Its the same green I've been using on my Jeeps and parts for years now and a red/brown color they had on the shelf near it. Originally I had painted it the brownish-red and then wrapped it up in some 5-50 cord prior to painting the green. The lines didn't turn out as well as I wanted so I just randomly sprayed some lines of the brownish-red. The thin lines you see are from the cord. I'm thinking of spraying the entire thing green and then using pin-stripe masking tape on it. The proposed end result being that it'll be mostly brown/red with lines or veins of the green. I actually like the red/brown color a lot. It seems very commie to me.

I just got tired of the plain black but with the stock being the majority of the weapon I didn't want it all just 1 solid color. I figured a quasi-camo would break it up a bit.

What do you guys use for ammo storage/range bags? I've come to the conclusion that my ammo deserves better than a cardboard box. I've done a little looking around at surplus ammo cans and the newer modular plastic ones.

Seems the surplus cans are way stronger but seem to lack a good way to lock them. The plastic ones offer great locking but fall by short in strength.

So basically, I'm looking for a bag/box to serve dual purpose as storage and transport. Any suggestions?

Edit: It's common for me to take at least 3 different calibers of ammo to the range, so a bag designed for a single style (rifle bag) would be less than ideal.

Last edited:
It's easy to modify a military ammo can to be lockable. I'll post pics tomorrow.

pelican case. I've got one thats about 15x12x10 or so. It works great. The best part is I can throw it on my roof rack, strap it down good and know everything is protected. With a wife, two kids a 130Lb dog and a large ARB fridge in my jeep at all times, space is very limited.

Those cheaperthandirt locks are no longer available....... But do provide good home brew ideas. :thumbup:

Repaired the SKS over the last 2 nights. I decided I wanted the red/brown to be more dominant. I might change it up later and add in a 3rd color. Then I'll probably try to replicate a soviet camo pattern. This works for now though.

b9db361a.jpg

Looks like a Van Halen guitar..........

Last edited:
Repaired the SKS over the last 2 nights. I decided I wanted the red/brown to be more dominant. I might change it up later and add in a 3rd color. Then I'll probably try to replicate a soviet camo pattern. This works for now though.

b9db361a.jpg

That red looks nice. I like the German spotty camo pattern myself but the pattern you have on there looks nice and will look even better with another color to break it up.

Any of you guys need a box of colt 45? realized I had a box (20rds) mixed in with some other ammo. Its winchester 225 grain.

Back