• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GUNS & AMMO

Skully, are you a doomsdayer? :D

Whats your guys' take on a good all around long range rifle. Something bolt action for hunting/target shooting with a common and not too expensive round. Again, I'm all about simple, reliable, and durable. If it has a military background then even better.

Last edited:
Mossberg MVP, bolt action rifle that uses AR magazines. I think thats pretty cool. 5.56 chambered and seems to be in the 600$ price range. Now if only they made a 7.62 version. :D

s27710_mvpscopebipod_profile.jpg

Mossberg MVP, bolt action rifle that uses AR magazines. I think thats pretty cool. 5.56 chambered and seems to be in the 600$ price range. Now if only they made a 7.62 version. :D

This is hopefully my next future gun, really really want it. The whole Scout Rifle concept finally packaged in a non-custom retail version ready to go in 7.62x51(.308) 10 round magazine. Sounds like what you just described there Dutch. Suggested places $650-$700 smacks the only problem is finding one in stock....................... RUGER Gunsite SCOUT RIFLE

6803.jpg

This is hopefully my next future gun, really really want it. The whole Scout Rifle concept finally packaged in a non-custom retail version ready to go in 7.62x51(.308) 10 round magazine. Sounds like what you just described there Dutch. Suggested places $650-$700 smacks the only problem is finding one in stock....................... RUGER Gunsite SCOUT RIFLE

6803.jpg

$900 and it's yours (stock, NIB): http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=275389911

Edit: Or this one for $850: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=276056997

Last edited:
Skully, are you a doomsdayer? :D

Whats your guys' take on a good all around long range rifle. Something bolt action for hunting/target shooting with a common and not too expensive round. Again, I'm all about simple, reliable, and durable. If it has a military background then even better.

I have a rem model 700 heavy barrel in 22-250, thing shoots flat and fast, but the rounds are not cheap.

You can probably grab one chambered in 223 or 270, if I remember right those rounds are not too pricey and shoot fast and flat. What are you going to be keelin' with it?

Matt, that ruger is sweet as hell. I wonder if it could be adapted to run ak mags or if it has it's own specific one.

Mike, cowboy guns are cool. I'd like to get me a lever action too at some point.

I think I'm going to stick with the .308 for my bolt action. It's a nice common/cheap round.

5.56 and 7.62 will be plenty available at all the failed military/police check points after the zombies attack. :D

Matt, that ruger is sweet as hell. I wonder if it could be adapted to run ak mags or if it has it's own specific one.

I think I'm going to stick with the .308 for my bolt action. It's a nice common/cheap round.

5.56 and 7.62 will be plenty available at all the failed military/police check points after the zombies attack. :D

UH? That RUGER Scout rifle is in .308 / 7.62 NATO I think they have 20 round magazines available. I have seen it on cheaperthandirt.com and budsgunshop.com for around $700 when in stock.

If you do a Remington700 they have so many calibers, .308 being the most populor for Zombie survivalists. There is also an aftermarket kit to convert the 700 to magazines, but the kit itself cost $250 - $350 depending on company. So you figure in $600 for the rifle and and then the mag conversion you have almost a $1000 so might as well by the RUGER scout rifle?????

Yeah, I was just checking out the 700. It's also the base platform for the M24/M40 sniper rifles.

I'm thinking the 700 is the way I'll go. I agree with your price assessment but if I get a no frills 700 for as cheap as possible then I can slowly modify it as I see fit. Plus I might be able to source parts through my shops arms room.

Yeah, I was just checking out the 700. It's also the base platform for the M24/M40 sniper rifles.

I'm thinking the 700 is the way I'll go. I agree with your price assessment but if I get a no frills 700 for as cheap as possible then I can slowly modify it as I see fit. Plus I might be able to source parts through my shops arms room.

There is an awesome sniper stock setup from choate machine and tool for like $200.

The military just switched from .308 for their sniper rifles to .300 Winchester magnum.

Can any of you guys flute a barrel? My 700 is crazy heavy and fluting would be nice.

Dub I think you will like the 700 it handles pretty darn well.

Lever action ftw !!!!

Lol sorry i just really like cowboy guns.

I have a 30-30 Marlin lever action, that thing is fun to shoot lol.

Nice brush gun for deer hunting Northern Michigan.

Picked up sme ammo and a halfway decent little red dot for it. My cheek rest hasn't come in yet so the red dot is a bit high up but I found a comfortable position just laying in the living room with it.
38f3aed6.jpg

Gonna have a shootoff today between my dad and brother. Gonna be some fun plinkin with the new targets we built.
Poor dad doesnt know what he is in for.

Dub, if I am out there before you buy you are welcome to fire some rounds through my 700 to see if you like the action.

Was beautiful up old stage today. Great day of some plinkin. Managed to leave just as the douchers showed up. We also cleaned up 3 trashbags full of shit that had been left up there. Didn't get it all but we made a good dent.
Think imma look for a new spot up there so i can stay away from the idiots.

Back