• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GUNS & AMMO

Ruger+LCR357+-+1.jpg

Ruger+LCR357+-+2.jpg

I've been looking very hard at one of these, I'd love to hear your input on how it shoots.

BTW have you dry fired one yet? They have a pretty snazzy trigger ;)

Yeah, played with one at the local gun shop the other day. Unfortunately, no in my town has a pistol range/gun shop combo, so I have to track someone down who owns one or get input of others before pulling the proverbial trigger. ;)

Here is a "What the hell????" gun for you.

"COWBOY ASSAULT RIFLE"

( I HATE that buzz word 'assault rifle' figure a member of pro gun press would stop using it, it is even worse when you add COWBOY to it.)

Here is MOSSBERG modernizing the lever action (like it needed to be modernized???)

New lever action SPX;

41026.gif

Last edited:
Because the T6/M4 stock is to the gun world what a Chevy 350 small block is to the automotive world. Some way some how, a redneck will get it to fit onto anything.

I like the M4 and the AR in general, but they are the ultimate in cool kid barbie gun. I went up to Left Hand again today and counting my group there were 8 groups shooting there. Out of those, 6 of them had AR's. I do plan on building one but its still a major eye roller to see so many people with their princessed out AR's for no other reason than cool factor.

The AR I build is going to be completely bare bones and basic. I want it compact and light weight because thats what you want in a small assault rifle. You don't need a big bulky weapon when you're trying to clear a building and you don't need any more weight with all the crap you'd theoretically be wearing already. There are far superior weapons systems out there for long rang "sniping" and lasers/flashlights just give your position away.

The AR I build is going to be completely bare bones and basic.

One day I should photograph my two basic projects. I agree with the above, no princess rifles for me.

As for what a lever gun should be...

Winchester+Model+94+-+2.jpg

Action.jpg

Receiver.jpg

1939 Winchester 1894, .30-30. Belonged to my great-grandfather. Works great and has just the right amount of patina to show it's a distinguished gentleman.

One of these days I need to take it out to my gun photoing table and get some better photos.

I love the winchester model 94's. We have two, one being the shorter AE model. Both in .44mag. They are just so accurate and reliable and smooth. One of the best rifles I've shot by far.

Thats a beautiful Winchester man, and I agree that that's what a "Cowboy" gun should look like.

Because the T6/M4 stock is to the gun world what a Chevy 350 small block is to the automotive world. Some way some how, a redneck will get it to fit onto anything.

I like the M4 and the AR in general, but they are the ultimate in cool kid barbie gun. I went up to Left Hand again today and counting my group there were 8 groups shooting there. Out of those, 6 of them had AR's. I do plan on building one but its still a major eye roller to see so many people with their princessed out AR's for no other reason than cool factor.

The AR I build is going to be completely bare bones and basic. I want it compact and light weight because thats what you want in a small assault rifle. You don't need a big bulky weapon when you're trying to clear a building and you don't need any more weight with all the crap you'd theoretically be wearing already. There are far superior weapons systems out there for long rang "sniping" and lasers/flashlights just give your position away.

Your right about everyone trying to slap on a M4 carbine stock to everything, I see conversion kits all over the place. Granted I like the ability to adjust my stock for length of pull depending on use and user but that tactical cowboy rifle is just plain silly and ugly. Why do you use the "Assault rifle" buzz word Dutch???

Does the military put them away and grab their "Defensive rifles" depending on the mission? Sorry I just hate that buzz word.

Are you poking a poke at me there Dutch? :shhh:

Mike can attest to this, out of the 3 AR's I have, the heaviest is the simplest one of all. The 20" heavy barrel is the big culprit on that one.

Why many may think I have the rifles look the way I do just for show and I am just being tacticool, they are wrong, everything is there for a specific purpose and used. Even the color coordinated matched mags is so I can tell which ammo is for which rifle. I use different ammo grain and load for the two 5.56's because of the different barrels specs for accuracy. Obviously the .300 blackout is different but since they use the same mags and have the same cartridge you can accidentally load 5.56 in the .300 BLK which can also be very dangerous if you don't catch it and pull the trigger.

I agree with you Dutch on the lasers, on a rifle it is why?, unless I am using night vision marking my targets(which I don't have.) On a pistol however they are very useful and find that they give you instant target acquisition similar to that of a red dot or HWS on a rifle.

Flashlights I disagree, in the dark they illuminate everywhere and very useful so you don't have to carry a flashlight in a hand and the rifle. For home defense you use them to temporarily blind the intruder. I actually tested this flashing it while in front of a mirror, amazing what even 140 lumens will do in an instant when in the dark.

If you are wanting to be sneakier they do have buttons to turn them off. :)

Last edited:
One day I should photograph my two basic projects. I agree with the above, no princess rifles for me.

As for what a lever gun should be...

Winchester+Model+94+-+2.jpg

Action.jpg

Receiver.jpg

1939 Winchester 1894, .30-30. Belonged to my great-grandfather. Works great and has just the right amount of patina to show it's a distinguished gentleman.

One of these days I need to take it out to my gun photoing table and get some better photos.

Thats a collector right there, and it still works!

I have a what I believe is an old Enfield .303 from my Grandfather. I don't think it even works. Looks like stuff is missing from the magazine. I need to find someone who can help me research the thing out and get me what I need to make it work. Looks like it saw some service but who knows.

Any British Enfield experts around here????

Quite possibly my favorite revolver to shoot. So remarkably accurate and smooth doesnt even begin to explain.
2012-03-12_212252.jpg

2012-03-12_212314.jpg

(skully I was wrong, the gramps used the 9mm revolver on the course, not these)

The Model 94 - in .44mag. (sorry for the bad pic)
2012-03-12_212505.jpg

This I just thought was funny. Standard .223 round that my dad shot comfortably. Next to it is the 510 grain (yes, I put the right number) 45-70 round that we are gonna use for elk this upcoming winter. Needless to say he only put one round through the Marlin :D
2012-03-12_212600.jpg

This I just thought was funny. Standard .223 round that my dad shot comfortably. Next to it is the 510 grain (yes, I put the right number) 45-70 round that we are gonna use for elk this upcoming winter. Needless to say he only put one round through the Marlin :D
2012-03-12_212600.jpg

Yap that is a .45-70 BIG slow round. My granddad always said this funny statement; "What ever you shoot at with a .45-70 they will see it coming but they still cant move fast enough to get out of the way."

The comparison of ammo take the .45-70 and compare it to a .50cal then compare that to a 20mm round, interesting the perspective you get.

Another round I was interested in if it wasn't such a "Wildcat cartridge" or I was in to reloading the .50 beowulf for the AR platform is the modern equivalent to the older skool .45-70. (not the more modern higher pressure loaded .45-70 used in the Marlin 1895.)

650px-Beowulf_Cartridges.JPG

Damnit GS, you're gonna make me take a few snapshots of my 1902 model 1897 Marlin that I inherited from my grandfather last year.

EDIT: here are a few, disassembled and before a cleaning, that I took to post on some forums to get a little info about it. Full octagon barrel and optional combo sights. S/N dates it to 1902. I'm thinking about requesting a factory letter from the Cody Museum for this one. http://www.bbhc.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/

L1010662.jpg

L1010670.jpg

L1010676.jpg

Last edited:
Back