• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What I learned at the fall fling

I learned that new MTRs like to hop when spinning on slick rock. The old ones didn't.

Wrangler Duratracs on the other hand will spin all day while staying planted. Don't ask me how I know!

The money I spent on buying a microwave oven to use in the cabin was saved on eating out.

The state of Utah cares about the taxpaying public land owners, to the tune of $1.6m to open Federally owned public lands to the people who pay for them.

Oh yeah, you can take a stock WJ to Moab for a week of wheeling with rockcrawlers and not have any regrets.

Thank you NAXJA! See you in 2018. :D

-Bushwacker flares hanging by a single bolt will blow off on the highway
-I need a new front-half of a rear passenger Bushwacker
-There aren't a lot of purple XJ's out there
-I love my purple XJ
-Our 2 year old girl sprints towards cliffs
-Some people are not good with giving directions (to addresses or on obstacles)
-NAXJA folks do not let a bunch of rain spoil their good time
-Goatman throws (pun intended) caution to the wind when tossing out free Frisbees and coozies.
-You can buy the biggest pile of giveaway XJ tickets you want and still not win the darn thing
-Hotels are awesome when it's cold and raining

I learned that new MTRs like to hop when spinning on slick rock. The old ones didn't.

Wrangler Duratracs on the other hand will spin all day while staying planted. Don't ask me how I know!

Noticed that with mine. Not the best slick rock tire. However....the little they lose on slick rock the far and away make up for it in snow, gravel, pavement, mud and almost any other condition.

It's easily worth going to Moab even if you can't really afford it.
The scenery and experience are priceless.
Verify everything....the one you don't will get you.
Remember to check your steering box bolts.
You can stay in Moab a month and not do everything.
Running new trails and not worrying about running the favorites is a good idea.
You can have a great trip to Moab and never go to Area BFE.
A week is too short, spend the vacation days and stay a few days longer.
XJ builds are getting very refined, lot's of good equipment and very few breakdowns.
It's nice to see so many well built, good performing full bodied XJ's and only a few that are cut down.

-Macguyvr looks nothing like Richard Dean Anderson
-I'm getting gray hairs in my beard stubble yet still can't grow sideburns
-I 'need' suspension seats, Currie Antirock and a RADesigns shifter
- Ditch the tent and get a cabin next time
- While attempting Mickey's hot tub while full of water may be amusing to onlookers, probably not my brightest idea

Jeff Turner looks like Tony hawk
Ryan's trailer is awesome
My jeep can drive and wheel 3000+ miles and still make it home

I learned (during the 27 hours I actually got to spend in Moab of my 5 planned days) that I need to go back to Moab. And I don't want to wait for the 35th Anniversary.

I also learned that having good supportive friends is as priceless as ever... but that no one would fudge the raffle so that I would win the GiveAway XJ...

...I also learned that after flat towing my POS home, I have a bad u-joint someplace in my front end. And I take too many pictures. And Barbie is a horrible spotter...

Last edited:
That having built the XJ from ground up (re-man motor, 6.5 extreme long arm and swapping the best from previous XJ) makes the words "I Love My XJ" is just not enough words to describe.
NAXJA people ARE a great bunch!! A couple bearded ones are hilarious!! and great campfire story tellers.
BFG KM2's are incredible in Moab.
There are a high number of lifted Black XJ's. And we all look great!!
as said before... It is worth it to go to Moab Fall Fling even if you think you don't have the money to do it. "Priceless"!
Long distance relationships can work, just look at the comradery!!
I Love My XJ!!

David
aka:Venom

That all the late night wrenching to get my tow rig ready and XJ Running were worth it in spades
That SLC Drivers are just as "Kind and Courteous" as LA or San Francisco Drivers when it comes to trying to change a trailer tire on the side of the freeway
That you don't really need a "built" Jeep to enjoy Moab
That I should have made this trip years ago

Rental Rubicons are convenient, but I'd rather have had my XJ.
I know more about wheeling than I thought but still not enough to be good at it.
A scenic trail can still cause carnage.
Utah's governor stepping up to the plate and funding the National Parks could teach the other 49 governors a thing or two.
I got a pretty cool sister. (actually knew that before FF-2013)
NAXJA friends are like military friends, haven't seen each other in years and the conversation just picks up where it left off.

NAXJA friends are like military friends, haven't seen each other in years and the conversation just picks up where it left off.

Oh man. This is so true. I can't relate to military, never being in the Military but it sure is true for this group. Was so good to see you and Mary (and about 50 other people) again and you are so right, felt like I had talked to you the day before.

That SLC Drivers are just as "Kind and Courteous" as LA or San Francisco Drivers when it comes to trying to change a trailer tire on the side of the freeway

Ah, so that was your trailer. You really did a number on that fender.

My what I learned in Moab list,

I love the what I leaned in "insert trip here" threads

I can actually drive through Nebraska without any problems (first time in many many years)

Diesels may be the cats meow for towing but a 460 CID is a close second

A 460 CID motor is no fuel economy champ!

A school bus is slow but gets better fuel mileage than an F250 with a 460

Towing with an F250 easily cuts 1 day off your travel time compared to a school bus! (2 easy days by F250 3 long days by SB)

I miss wheeling with many of my old friends that no longer wheel

Meeting new wheeling friends and wheeling with the old friends that still wheel is awesome

If laughter is the best medicine then Parker, Spencer, and Gordy will never get sick!

Boston people hate being mistaken for New York people

Saying someone from Boston is from New York never gets old

Having 3 east coast chuckle heads (and one MW Ohioan) in your Jeep makes for some hilarious times wheeling

5 dudes in a Jeep will all talk non stop, until the Jeep goes "off camber," then everyone goes silent

Once said Jeep is no longer about to roll everyone will continue jaw jacking as if nothing happened

If you make a "squeak" when your jeep pitches off camber all 5 dudes in the Jeep may laugh so hard they cry

Laughing until you cry is a good way to cover up that you are crying out of fear of death

Wheeling with a "no politics" rule is a very good idea and makes for a very good time

Politics suck!

My worst trips out west (in terms of breakdowns along the way) pale in comparison to what the east coast guys endured

454's are not as stout as I once thought they were

Somehow I can be both super nice and super mean at the same time doing or saying exactly the same thing

I am incapable of being able to tell the difference

I'm not as nice as I think I am

John Bjorm is super nice

John Bjorm's Jeep can win the People Choice Award even though he thinks it is getting "beat up"

I love John and Sandy Bjorm! It's always great spending time with you guys

All of the things that stood in the way of the east coast guys wheeling in Moab that they didn't let stop them is actually inspiring

I have still not attended a NAXJA event that wasn't awesome

Wayne is not only an awesome trail leader and spotter, he is also genuinely a great guy. Thank so much for spotting Andy and me on Pritchett

Wayne is in great shape

Black pipe is not great material for a trackbar, but it'll get you through a week of wheeling, mostly

Short arms suck, long arms rock!

I can wheel out west with out breaking, wheeling in the Midwest, not so much

Red Locktite works almost as well as Wisconsin Locktite (rust)

Some people have to shave their eye balls

V8's sound awesome

Ford vans can out run a Cherokee with a V8 without even trying

Staying in a hotel is expensive but worth it

Big events are great because you meet a lot of people, on the other hand they make it hard to talk to everyone you would like to

Genuinely cringing and gasping while someone navigates a particularly treacherous obstacle while that someone's wife is standing next to you will get you punched in the arm!

How some people in the past thought certain "obstacles" were a good idea is beyond me

If I'm fearful enough I will not look at anything other than my spotter, no matter how hard you try to make me

Moab is full of obstacles that if you make a slight error your death is the most likely result

Very few people ever actually die wheeling in Moab, though I have to believe that at some point it has happened

If you have to die wheeling, I can't think of a better place to do it than Moab

A long list I know, but it is probably not everything. :)

B

It's easily worth going to Moab even if you can't really afford it.
The scenery and experience are priceless.
Verify everything....the one you don't will get you.
Remember to check your steering box bolts.
You can stay in Moab a month and not do everything.
Running new trails and not worrying about running the favorites is a good idea.
You can have a great trip to Moab and never go to Area BFE.
A week is too short, spend the vacation days and stay a few days longer.
XJ builds are getting very refined, lot's of good equipment and very few breakdowns.
It's nice to see so many well built, good performing full bodied XJ's and only a few that are cut down.

Been wanting to take this trip for over a decade...

Maybe next year...

Back