• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What Is The Most Badass Steering Stabilizer For An Unlifted XJ (A Deat Wobble Story)?

Ok, Let's think this through.

How many miles did your Jeep have on it before the DW started the first time? We'll play it safe and say that it had 80k miles on it. Up to that point the "Stabilizer" tamed any DW that was present from the factory, correct? So, wouldn't you think that if the terrible DW was hidden by a stock stabilizer for 80k miles that a stock stabilizer would solve the "problem" again? Why would you need to modify the system by adding a "badass" stabilizer when the stock one (since that's what prevents imminent DW) covered it up just fine from the factory?

Dang Jeep engineers build Jeeps with DW from the factory. Good thing they installed that stabilizer to get rid of it.

Try this one. It should be heavy duty enough to attach to the axle tube and then straight to both knuckles to re-tame that DW.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-F250-F...4WD-/371197852972?hash=item566d1dbd2c&vxp=mtr

I really would like to help you but it sure seems like you don't want help.

Last edited:
If I was at home, I would be eating Earl Duke's BBQ right now!

Regardless, why would I take my Jeep to someone who has referred to me as an "idiot" twice, in to posts?

I only insinuated you were an idiot. I only did that once.

and I'm trying to talk you out of doing something stupid. (I won't lie. It's pretty stupid)

and you would take it to me because I clearly know more about what I'm doing than your Jeep expert you've been seeing.

Bought Jeep new.

DW@ 40,000 miles.

Cured/masked by steering stabilizer

DW @ 105,000 miles

Cured/masked by KOR Track Bar, Steering Box Brace, Anti-Roll Bar Bushings, and Steering Stabilizer

DW@ 45,000 miles.

You (actually y'all) insist only a fool would invest 29.00 (factory replacement) - 82.00 (OME) in a steering stabilizer to get another 40,000-65,000 DW-free miles.

It cannot work!

Only a stupid person would think it could!

Only and idiot would think it could!

And yet ..... stock steering damper = 65,000 DW-free miles.

KOR steering damper = 40,000 DW-free miles.

How is that possible, when everyone who is not stupid, or a complete idiot knows that just can not happen?

Impossible!

That hick from South Carolina is lying!

Nope!

Uh uh.

Can't happen.

Hydro assist would be the best stabilizer.

Hey man, blow me. I asked a simple question. if you don't want to help, fine, but go troll somebody else.

That goes for the rest of the jerks that want to fight, too. I know exactly what I want to do. Right, or wrong, that is my decision to make. I've outlined my reasoning and my process clearly, reasonably, and most importantly, respectfully, but you jerks go after anyone who doesn't line up with you.

if you don't want to offer the help I've asked for, then move on.

I offered my honest opinion, after going through this, and driving home from wheeling 3 hrs at 45mph because my rig was screwed up.
Not sure why you think i was attacking you, but your response was way out of line.

At first I was going to give you some credit, as your parents at least spelled your first name correctly, but after seeing your responses, I find it much more likely that your family tree resembles a palm tree.

Good day sir!

OK, so right at 40,000 miles ago, I was having horrible death wobble.

I bought the Kevin's Off Road Death Wobble Kit, and it was completely cured.

http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/cart/xjmj-death-wobble-package-for-model-years-19841986-p-1066/

About 12,000 miles ago, I started seeing a just bit of DW right before I'd have the tires balanced, and the front end aligned. I do it every 5,000 miles.

I've checked the front end, and had it checked y the guys doing the tire balancing and alignment, and everything looks OK. A couple of months ago, I called and emailed Kevin's Off Road about it, but never got a a return call, or email. I posted a question on their Facebook page about it, and got a response asking about the tires on my car. I responded back, but never got anything else from them, no matter how many times I tried to get one.

My question was simple. What is the wear life on their steering stabilizer? I wasn't complaining, 40,000 miles seems like a reasonable amount of mileage out of one to me, and I made that clear to them in my email(s) and Facebook posts. I just wanted to hear what the experts who'd solved the problem for me before had to say, and it really annoys and disgusts me to not even be able to get any kind of a response from them.

Yesterday, I had to tow a car on a trailer for a buddy for about 50 miles. On the way home, I had TERRIBLE death wobble. I guess driving it that distance with the rear pushed down, and the front suspension jacked up did something.

I've decided I'm going to replace the steering stabilizer and see what that does. I've also decided I don't want to spend any more money with Kevin's Off Road, if I can help it.

I want to put the heaviest-duty steering stabilizer on the car I can.

Can anyone help?

BTW, I noticed that if I catch it right when it starts, cutting the wheel sharply and changing lanes stops the DW for the moment. I hadn't noticed that before. I'm not sure whether that means this DW is different from the DW I've had in the past, ot if I'm just smarter now.

Also, I remember seeing something about non-stock alignment specs that helped with death wobble.

My XJ is unlifted (except for the factory Up Country 1" lift), with MOAB wheels, and 245/70/16 Bridgestone Duelers. It had DW with the stock wheels and tires, and the stock wheels with 255/70/15 Duelers, so I'm sure the wheels and tires aren't the cause.

Hey there, Sean. First, my apologies for totally dropping the ball on getting you a good response back in a timely manner. I'm checking with our customer service department to see how we dropped the ball, and how we can do a better job in the future.

To answer your question, any part that moves on a vehicle, wears, and is going to need to be replaced at some juncture...and you're right...40k on a stabilizer is not bad. However, yes, they will need to be replaced after they wear to a certain point.

Sounds like we totally dropped the ball on getting you answers, and I'd like to make it up to you. Will you please let us know how to get a hold of you, and I'll have Rob make this right. You can text or call us at 602-841-3355, or you can send us a PM on Facebook, which typically we see, but may have not seen yours for some reason. You can also e-mail us.

My humblest apologies for us dropping the ball on getting back to you, Sean!

Very apologetically,
Kevin

wow that thread escalated quickly.

you sound like one of those types that refuses to listen to any one even if you ask for advice and then bitch that the advice doesn't match the direction you were going in - basically if everyone doesnt agree with you , you throw a temper tantrum.

So, go with a stabilizer as a last resort, not a initial fix- if you wanted the best stabilizer they were all 100% correct that hydro assist is the best you can get :

If I were you I would inspect and replace if needed:
TRACKBAR BUSHINGS AND TRACKBAR MOUNT!!!
unit bearings
ball joints
tie rod ends
steering box

Look for frame cracks
pull off all 4 control arms and look for wallowed out holes
make sure the trackbar holes are not wallowed out- you must remove it to check (same for control arms)
check control arm bushings while you have them off
what is your toe in ? what is your caster?
are your rotors/pads/calipers all in good shape ( might as well check)
axle sid control arm bushings

I bet you have a ton of stuff that needs to be replaced on the front end

Bought Jeep new.

DW@ 40,000 miles.

Cured/masked by steering stabilizer

DW @ 105,000 miles

Cured/masked by KOR Track Bar, Steering Box Brace, Anti-Roll Bar Bushings, and Steering Stabilizer

DW@ 45,000 miles.

You (actually y'all) insist only a fool would invest 29.00 (factory replacement) - 82.00 (OME) in a steering stabilizer to get another 40,000-65,000 DW-free miles.

It cannot work!

Only a stupid person would think it could!

Only and idiot would think it could!

And yet ..... stock steering damper = 65,000 DW-free miles.

KOR steering damper = 40,000 DW-free miles.

How is that possible, when everyone who is not stupid, or a complete idiot knows that just can not happen?

Impossible!

That hick from South Carolina is lying!

Nope!

Uh uh.

Can't happen.

There's no denying that a stabilizer will make DW go away... I never said it wouldn't. It covers up the real issue.

Do you think that a Jeep Cherokee would have DW straight off the show room floor is it wasn't for a stabilizer? If so, that's odd because I own and drive 4 different ones that haven't had a stabilizer installed in years.

There's no denying that a stabilizer will make DW go away... I never said it wouldn't. It covers up the real issue.

Do you think that a Jeep Cherokee would have DW straight off the show room floor is it wasn't for a stabilizer? If so, that's odd because I own and drive 4 different ones that haven't had a stabilizer installed in years.

Irrelevant. All I care about is not having death wobble. If that takes a steering stabilizer every 40-65,000 miles, who cares whether it is masking some other issue?

Any sane person.

Why would you want to buy a stabilizer when all you need is a $29 alignment or a $12 control arm bushing. Whatever is causing DW isn't RIGHT and is causing other issues with your Jeep. You're THAT guy who doesn't maintain a vehicle worth a damn and ends up running them into the ground. Then can't figure out what's wrong down the road when he runs over the front axle while running 80 down the interstate.

I'd be willing to bet that you're of some sort of relation to Bimmer Jeeper.

Also, consider replacing the toothpick tie rod with a V8 ZJ tie rod or other aftermarket tie rod. I wouldn't doubt that is part of the issue.
If you want to be THAT guy, just buy a stabilizer with a lifetime warranty. Then go swap it out whenever you feel it stops working.

Any sane person.

Why would you want to buy a stabilizer when all you need is a $29 alignment or a $12 control arm bushing. Whatever is causing DW isn't RIGHT and is causing other issues with your Jeep. You're THAT guy who doesn't maintain a vehicle worth a damn and ends up running them into the ground. Then can't figure out what's wrong down the road when he runs over the front axle while running 80 down the interstate.

I'd be willing to bet that you're of some sort of relation to Bimmer Jeeper.

Why don't you stop being insulting long enough to engage in an adult conversation?

The first time it had DW at 40,000 miles, I took it to the Firestone store I was using at the time. The people there sell parts, and make a profit off of that. The mechanics sell labor, and make a profit off of that. They have every motivation to try and find something wrong. They could not.

The second time it had DW, I took it to a different Firestone store, whose service manager is an avid off-roader, XJ owner, and is known for his expertise with DW. Again, both he and that store would LOVE to find something wrong, they make money fixing those things they find wrong. Nada.

I then took it to an off-road shop that specializes in Jeeps. I spent nearly two hours up under the Jeep with the guy, reading off the checklist of things to look at I'd compiled from hours and hours of research on here, and on other Jeep sites. 150 bucks spent, I KNOW he was thorough, because I was right there with him, and he found nothing.

Whatever the root cause of this is, it ain't no 12.00 bushing.

So yeah, 60 bucks for a steering stabilizer that past experience says should give me 5 years of no DW seems reasonable to me.

I've begun to develop osteo-arthritis in my knees and hip. The Dr. says he can go in there and scrape the joints, but for now, I can take Advil and it MASKS the symptoms. Should I tell him he's stupid, and an idiot, and is only masking the problem, and demand he operate immediately, or is it a better idea to enjoy the freedom from pain the Advil gives me?

You're one of those Yankees that moves down South to get away from Yankeeland, then spends all their time criticizing the people whose home they've moved to, aren't you?

Also, consider replacing the toothpick tie rod with a V8 ZJ tie rod or other aftermarket tie rod. I wouldn't doubt that is part of the issue.
If you want to be THAT guy, just buy a stabilizer with a lifetime warranty. Then go swap it out whenever you feel it stops working.

Which stabilizers offer a lifetime warranty?

you sound like one of those types that refuses to listen to any one even if you ask for advice and then bitch that the advice doesn't match the direction you were going in - basically if everyone doesnt agree with you , you throw a temper tantrum.

Or, I could be a guy who asks a question, and foolishly hopes people might provide an answer to the question I asked.

If you went on a dipping forum, and asked whether it was better to spit your dip juice into an empty Dr. pepper bottle, or a Styrofoam cup with a napkin stuffed in it, wouldn't you be a little annoyed to get a hundred responses from librulls warning you of the health risks asociated with the use of smokeless tobacco?

Why don't you stop being insulting long enough to engage in an adult conversation?

The first time it had DW at 40,000 miles, I took it to the Firestone store I was using at the time. The people there sell parts, and make a profit off of that. The mechanics sell labor, and make a profit off of that. They have every motivation to try and find something wrong. They could not.

The second time it had DW, I took it to a different Firestone store, whose service manager is an avid off-roader, XJ owner, and is known for his expertise with DW. Again, both he and that store would LOVE to find something wrong, they make money fixing those things they find wrong. Nada.

I then took it to an off-road shop that specializes in Jeeps. I spent nearly two hours up under the Jeep with the guy, reading off the checklist of things to look at I'd compiled from hours and hours of research on here, and on other Jeep sites. 150 bucks spent, I KNOW he was thorough, because I was right there with him, and he found nothing.

Whatever the root cause of this is, it ain't no 12.00 bushing.

So yeah, 60 bucks for a steering stabilizer that past experience says should give me 5 years of no DW seems reasonable to me.

I've begun to develop osteo-arthritis in my knees and hip. The Dr. says he can go in there and scrape the joints, but for now, I can take Advil and it MASKS the symptoms. Should I tell him he's stupid, and an idiot, and is only masking the problem, and demand he operate immediately, or is it a better idea to enjoy the freedom from pain the Advil gives me?

You're one of those Yankees that moves down South to get away from Yankeeland, then spends all their time criticizing the people whose home they've moved to, aren't you?

Then both Firestone techs and the "professional off-road guy" have no clue what they're doing.

I'd go for the surgery. Why spend money on Advil when you can solve the root issue from the beginning and not put it on the back burner for several years. Actually, we DID go for the surgery. My wife has bad knees. She opted for the surgery and doesn't need the pain pills.

No. I was born, raised and still live in my home town. Funny you say that though, I was going to make a similar "yankee" accusation about you. Though, I guess I already did since Bimmer Jeeper is clearly a dumbass yankee.

Add'l info from my first post:

"To answer your question, any part that moves on a vehicle, wears, and is going to need to be replaced at some juncture...and you're right...40k on a stabilizer is not bad. However, yes, they will need to be replaced after they wear to a certain point. AND, you likely have other items that have some wear on them, too. As many have said, the steering stabilizer is not the "magic bullet" for curing DW, to be certain...however, having a solid, tight front end is, and EVERY component of the front suspension can be considered "suspect" (including the steering stabilizer) until each and every part is gone over with a fine-tooth comb, and replaced if even a small amount of wear is discovered, and the part is replaced with a solid replacement.

Rob researched your name and found your phone number, and has left you a voice mail. Again, sorry that we somehow missed getting back to you!!!!

Very Gratefully,
Kevin

Here you go, adult conversation. You have a problem with your front suspension and you came in here detailing that problem. The members here, like any logical group of people thought, "Hey, lets get to the bottom of his problem so he can correctly fix it." Which was obviously a mistake, as you made abundantly clear that you could care less why you actually have death wobble. The logical members here obviously thought this was ridiculous, but you find it perfectly acceptable. So everyone started slinging shit back and forth.

What I do not understand, is that if you had no desire to actually solve the problem and identified that your steering stabilizer was the cure you were after, why start the thread in the first place? Why not just buy a new SS and be on your way? That is pretty much the end of this story.

Last edited:
An OEM stabilizer is not badass enough. He's going to need a badasser stabilizer to handle all the slop he's got going on up there. lol

Actually, that's not correct. A truly badass steering stabilizer would probably leave me free from death wobble longer than your run-of-the-mill, non-badass-type stabilizer, but with a lifetime warranty, the only investment required in replacing it is a little time in the driveway swapping stabilizers ... and chicks dig guys that work on their own cars.

So, yeah, ideally, I'd prefer a SUPER-badass steering stabilizer with a lifetime warranty, but if that turns out to be a unicorn, a regular old steering stabilizer with a lifetime warranty would work just fine.

Your steering and suspension is a pretty vital part of your Jeep. If your steering lets loose on you at 70 MPH, or one of your tie rod ends snap off on a hard corner your steering stabilizer won't save you - or the family in the mini-van next to you.

What you are suggesting is like saying "my engine is making a loud knock, but as long as my radio is turned up really high, it will be ok because I can't hear it."

Please, take the time to listen to these folks. They aren't just blowing smoke. They know what they are talking about. Masking the problem won't solve anything...and will only allow worn parts to get worse without your knowing it.

Back