• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What Is The Most Badass Steering Stabilizer For An Unlifted XJ (A Deat Wobble Story)?

seanof30306@yahoo.

NAXJA Forum User
OK, so right at 40,000 miles ago, I was having horrible death wobble.

I bought the Kevin's Off Road Death Wobble Kit, and it was completely cured.

http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/cart/xjmj-death-wobble-package-for-model-years-19841986-p-1066/

About 12,000 miles ago, I started seeing a just bit of DW right before I'd have the tires balanced, and the front end aligned. I do it every 5,000 miles.

I've checked the front end, and had it checked y the guys doing the tire balancing and alignment, and everything looks OK. A couple of months ago, I called and emailed Kevin's Off Road about it, but never got a a return call, or email. I posted a question on their Facebook page about it, and got a response asking about the tires on my car. I responded back, but never got anything else from them, no matter how many times I tried to get one.

My question was simple. What is the wear life on their steering stabilizer? I wasn't complaining, 40,000 miles seems like a reasonable amount of mileage out of one to me, and I made that clear to them in my email(s) and Facebook posts. I just wanted to hear what the experts who'd solved the problem for me before had to say, and it really annoys and disgusts me to not even be able to get any kind of a response from them.

Yesterday, I had to tow a car on a trailer for a buddy for about 50 miles. On the way home, I had TERRIBLE death wobble. I guess driving it that distance with the rear pushed down, and the front suspension jacked up did something.

I've decided I'm going to replace the steering stabilizer and see what that does. I've also decided I don't want to spend any more money with Kevin's Off Road, if I can help it.

I want to put the heaviest-duty steering stabilizer on the car I can.

Can anyone help?

BTW, I noticed that if I catch it right when it starts, cutting the wheel sharply and changing lanes stops the DW for the moment. I hadn't noticed that before. I'm not sure whether that means this DW is different from the DW I've had in the past, ot if I'm just smarter now.

Also, I remember seeing something about non-stock alignment specs that helped with death wobble.

My XJ is unlifted (except for the factory Up Country 1" lift), with MOAB wheels, and 245/70/16 Bridgestone Duelers. It had DW with the stock wheels and tires, and the stock wheels with 255/70/15 Duelers, so I'm sure the wheels and tires aren't the cause.

Steering stabilizer will not prevent or cause death wobble. Anything in the front end can cause death wobble so there is a lot to check. If the front end is set up properly you shouldn't even need a stabilizer.

Steering stabilizer will not prevent or cause death wobble. Anything in the front end can cause death wobble so there is a lot to check. If the front end is set up properly you shouldn't even need a stabilizer.

Thanks for the response, but the first time I had death wobble, at around 40,000 miles, the tires were shot.

I replaced them, and both I, and the guy at Firestone when over everything in the front end very carefully, and everything was fine. The death wobble was unchanged.

I replaced the steering stabilizer with a factory replacement, and the death wobble was gone. i didn't see it again for 65,000 miles.

I know DW is a very emotion issue with some people, but my own experience leads me to believe that the steering stabilizer CAN eliminate DW, and I have 60,000 miles of DW-free driving to prove it, at least to myself.

I am going to replace the steering stabilizer. The only question is which one I'm going to replace it with. If the death wobble persists, I will be the first one to come back here and post that you were right.

Your missing something. Your stabilizer didn't 'fix' your death wobble, it just masked it.
Go to a different shop, check the track bar bushings, ball joints, unit bearings, all steering tie rod ends, alignment (toe) and castor just to name a few

Fwiw, I don't use stabilizers on any of my jeeps. My 98 has ZERO death wobble (no stabilizer) even with unbalanced bias ply 36/13.50 iroks and a tape measure alignment job.
There is no reason for your stock jeep to have any DW at all

If you are getting death wobble, there is something wrong, period. A steering stabilizer only hides the problem.

I have helped fix several dozen vehicles in the past. ALL had a problem somewhere. The key is finding it. Tires will not cause death wobble. They can cause shimmy which can make the hidden problem worse.

Being an engineer, the problem is called an oscillation. It is caused by a loose joint or connection somewhere in the system allowing the force to be shifted from one extreme to the other, causing an oscillation. Most times it is a bad joint of some type, but it can be caused by flexing brackets and mounting points, typically on the control arm ends. It is not uncommon on older rigs to have the holes in the control arm mounts to be 'egged out' and pretty much no matter how much you crank down the bolts, they still move in the mount.

Less common is a shot steering box with bad bearings and worn to the point where the reciprocating ball screw inside gets loose.

The key is to have two people perform the diagnosis together. One needs to rock the steering wheel back and forth while the other looks for any movement in every single component in the steering / suspension system.

I have even seen a broken centering bolt on a rear spring cause the issue.

Guys, if a 50-100 part resolves the problem for another 40-60,000 miles, it doesn't matter to me whether it's "masking", or "fixing". What I'm concerned with is the 40-60,000 DW-free miles ... how I get there is irrelevant.

The Service Manager at the Firestone store where I have my Jeep aligned and the tires balanced is a Jeep guy, who owns a lifted XJ, has owned several other XJs, and who is known to be an expert on DW. People from all over bring their cars to him to get their DW fixed. He has thoroughly checked my Jeep out numerous times, and hasn't been able to find anything.

When I got the Death Wobble Kit from Kevin's Off Road, his store manager wouldn't let him install it, as it is a non-stock item, and the manager said it was against company policy. for them to do the work, so I took my XJ to a shop here that does tons of lifting, and knows about DW. I got under the lift with the guy with a list I'd compiled from all over the internet of things to check, and everything was fine.

Is there something wrong? Quite possibly, maybe even probably, but I spent over $150 with a guy who knows about these things checking everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, and nothing showed up.

Please, i don't want to get into a massive debate over death wobble. I am going to put a steering stabilizer in my XJ; I'm just seeking advice as to what the best one would be. If that does not solve/mask the problem for another 40K miles, I'll be back, saying "mea culpa".

Until then, could I just get some recommendations on the best steering stabilizer?

Find someone else, your expert is not a expert.

Guys, if a 50-100 part resolves the problem for another 40-60,000 miles, it doesn't matter to me whether it's "masking", or "fixing". What I'm concerned with is the 40-60,000 DW-free miles ... how I get there is irrelevant.
Until then, could I just get some recommendations on the best steering stabilizer?

If a powerful stabilizer is what you want, get Kevin's on the phone and order their dual stabilizer kit as well as a set of the super hard track bar bushings (which cured my DW problem)
Good luck with the results.

http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/cart/h...e-outstanding-death-wobble-resistance-p-1047/

http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/cart/h...ar-outstanding-death-wobble-resistance-p-664/

http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/cart/h...eter-75d-bushings-for-track-bar-12-kit-p-290/

Hydro assist would be the best stabilizer.

Hey man, blow me. I asked a simple question. if you don't want to help, fine, but go troll somebody else.

That goes for the rest of the jerks that want to fight, too. I know exactly what I want to do. Right, or wrong, that is my decision to make. I've outlined my reasoning and my process clearly, reasonably, and most importantly, respectfully, but you jerks go after anyone who doesn't line up with you.

if you don't want to offer the help I've asked for, then move on.

If a powerful stabilizer is what you want, get Kevin's on the phone and order their dual stabilizer kit as well as a set of the super hard track bar bushings (which cured my DW problem)
Good luck with the results.

http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/cart/h...e-outstanding-death-wobble-resistance-p-1047/

http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/cart/h...ar-outstanding-death-wobble-resistance-p-664/

http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/cart/h...eter-75d-bushings-for-track-bar-12-kit-p-290/

Thanks for your help.

I already have the KOR aftermarket track bar with the super hard bushings. I've inspected it carefully, unbolting each end separately and flexing it looking for wear, but the bushings appear to be in great shape.

I'm really unhappy with the responses I've gotten from Kevin's on this, especially after I spent over 400 bucks with them. I know I could buy another steering stabilizer from them, but I'd prefer to take my business elsewhere; hence my coming here asking what the best non-KOR stabilizer would be.

Hey man, blow me. I asked a simple question. if you don't want to help, fine, but go troll somebody else.

That goes for the rest of the jerks that want to fight, too. I know exactly what I want to do. Right, or wrong, that is my decision to make. I've outlined my reasoning and my process clearly, reasonably, and most importantly, respectfully, but you jerks go after anyone who doesn't line up with you.

if you don't want to offer the help I've asked for, then move on.

It has nothing to do with respect. No one was being a jerk. WE were trying to help you make the right decision so you won't have to do this again. Putting a stabilizer on a Jeep to solve DW is STUPID.

The decision has been made, and no amount of calling me "STUPID", or an "idiot" is going to change that.

I am going to put a steering stabilizer in my XJ; I'm just seeking advice as to what the best non-Kevin's Off Road one would be. If that does not solve/mask the problem for another 40K miles, I'll be back, saying "mea culpa".

THAT explains why you think a band-aid is the answer! Most people from SC are complete idiots.

Are you currently in SC or in OK? If you're in SC I'd be more than happy to help fix your DW correctly. Feel free to swing by.

If I was at home, I would be eating Earl Duke's BBQ right now!

Regardless, why would I take my Jeep to someone who has referred to me as an "idiot" twice, in to posts?

Back