• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fall Fling 2014

DrMoab

NAXJA Forum User
I know that most, if not all of you may not be on the BOD next year but I want to propose an idea.

I would really like to see the IC chapter put on a REALLY successful Fall Fling next year. In the years past we have had some that have almost rivaled the Anniversary events. I see no reason why we couldn't do it again next year. I'm sure some of you have seen this thread, http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1105914 There are tons of people who either came this year and want to come back or that didn't get to go for whatever reason, school, work, break downs...you name it that want to go next year.

This event, done as a chapter event has the potential to bring in a HUGE amount of money to the IC coffers. Raffle ticket sales alone could bring in thousands if there is enough people that show up.

Now...here is my idea. I would permission from you guys...the current BOD to head up this project. If any of you were around in 05-06 you know that I have the ability to put this together. Of course I had a lot of help and I would ask for a lot of help this time too. It takes a good, organized and dedicated team to pull and event off like that but, I know I could make it work.

I don't have any plans to run for a BOD position in the chapter. I don't have the time to dedicate to a whole year of runs, events, parties, BBQ's and everything else but I would like to take this one event on with the help of the BOD and a few select others.

Let me know what you think.

I think its a great idea, BUT in the yrs since 08 our max attendance was 50 ppl. And I don't see a non anniversary yr being much bigger than that. (Mainly due to people saving for the anniversary yrs).

Now with that being said I'm willing to help out wherever needed as usual. I know the events that both of us have put on have been a success. And I would love to see the off yrs have a bigger turnout than they have been getting. That's why almost 3 yrs ago I put the IC in on running the FF on the off yrs. That and national wanted to ditch it. So I say lets do it!!

There is a reason for that Derek. It's been a total lack of pushing people to go. I've learned over the years that if you want people to show up you have to give them a reason to and remind them over and over and over. That just hasn't happened the last few years.

If nobody is reminded of the event, nobody will show up. If I take it over, that won't happen. That's one reason why I'm bringing it up now. I'd like to get started on planning and participation now.

I also do not know whether I will be on the BOD next year. However, I will be glad to help with this effort. I do not have a copy of the BLM permit at work, but if it expires at the end of 2014 (I will check) we are good there. I will even volunteer to write the land-use report afterwards just to have it done.

It would need to be a chapter effort.

My plan would be:

To get the senior center reserved for dinner.
The bowling alley was a good venue but it was expensive and the kitchen wasn't the best.

To get a thread started Jan 1st in the official trail run forum section. I want to do this early so the dates can get pounded into people's head.

To start working on the national sponsorship team for raffle items. This event has the potential to bring in thousands. From the preliminary numbers it looks like the 30th brought in about $5,000.00 in ticket sales. That's just the general raffle, not the giveaway jeep. If the IC could do a third of that it would be a huge help to go towards paying for BBQs and things like Christmas parties.

I'd like to find someone willing to cook, run registration, plan trails and also someone to head up promoting the hell out of this event to local shops and other clubs. Steve, you brought this up in a PM to me and I think you are spot on. It's a huge opportunity we are missing.

There is a reason for that Derek. It's been a total lack of pushing people to go.

I think the economy has played a big part in it too. Now that it's recovering, I think a non-AE FF would be very successful. I say, let's do it.

If I run for IC BOD next year, it won't be for president. We need someone with more time and energy than what I would put into it. But even if I'm not in the BOD, I'll help how I can.

What would you guys think about bringing in U4wda on next years FF as an event to raise money for them?

They have the ability to reach a ton of local's that we don't have here. I still think this event could be huge for bringing in a large amount of money for the chapter. Add nationals land use matching funds program and we could do a lot of good with this.

Thoughts?

My opinion, having been involved in joint scientific and medical conferences in the Infectious Diseases area is: YES it can work. Make it clear from the outset that it is a joint meet/gathering/whatever and advertise it as such. Also ensure that the movers and shakers on both sides agree on the finances upfront. Are all of the proceeds to benefit U4wda, is it a split and what proportions (50:50 for example)? Then, get the dedicated parties on both sides to sit down face-to-face and hammer out the details. When, 3 days, 4 days? Who will round up the sponsors? Even if it is Woody's hats, Prime 4X4 coozies, gift certificates and some hardware like diff covers it takes work to do that and most important, previous contacts. It's not how much you know, it's who you know in this case.

As you stated Ryan, publicize it early and often and make it all-inclusive. If you can keep up with the trail leader, you are welcome to come have a damn' good time with us. Even if you are a loner and just want to do some exploring on your own and then tell the rest of us about around the fire that night, that's also O.K.

Let's let National what may be going down so they can't complain later.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong. It would be a naxja event. It would just be backed in part by U4.

I haven't even talked to them about this. I'm taking them a big fat check when they have their next meeting. Naxja donated $1000 from this years event. I will talk to them about it then.

I'm somewhat friends with the U4 president. I will try to talk to him about this too. See what his thoughts are.

I like this idea, especially since 2014 is the 15th anniversary of NAXJA. I'm willing to assist in this event and I agree that it could be a great fund raiser. There is already significant interest in the 2014 Fall Fling thread.

Promote early, promote often, great exposure will boost attendance and draw in sponsors. I'd like to see this on the magazine radar as well, but many set their run coverage budget a year in advance, so we need to nail down the specifics ASAP. An event website like http://www.winterontherocks.com/ would be awesome to promote this.....and all NAXJA events.

On a side note, I see the lack of an event website with online signup options a huge deficit in promotion of events. The giveaway XJ website was a huge improvement over past efforts to market the run and raffle.

Back