• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What I learned at the fall fling

I also learned.....I need a DSLR camera!

this is spencer, parker's brother.

I learned that where there is a will there is a way . especially if you are from the east cost... you find every and any way to make things work! bravo Stefan, paul, and patrick.

I learned that snow wheeling is much easier in my jeep rather than the old man's with bald tires and no rear locker, thanks to the Texas guys for waiting for us and offering for us to tag along .

I learned that moab is fun every time i get a chance to go!!! thanks to everyone who lead trails and put anything on for the fall fling i had a blast!

The picks we have will be up soon once we get old gordys

If you make a "squeak" when your jeep pitches off camber all 5 dudes in the Jeep may laugh so hard they cry

Bob queefs!

The biggest thing this trip did for me was remind me that there are some really great people out there who are willing to help out complete strangers just because its the right thing to do. I want to give a big thanks to Parker, Spencer and Gordy for all the help they gave us during the week, you guys are awesome and I better see you in Boston next year! Another big thanks goes out to the Looses, thanks for giving me a seat to wheel in for a few days Bob, and for the ride to Denver, and thank your wife for putting up with me haha. There were a ton of other people who helped us along the way, thanks to all of you as well, the trip was great despite the setbacks, mainly because of all the good times with some truly great people.

I also learned to not eat Mexican food in Denver.

If I would have known that MOAB was as epic and amazing as it actually was, I would have made a much greater effort to get there sooner. This means I learned that I should also really look into wheeling more of the US other than Northern California and Reno areas.

I learned that I am not a Chevy guy.
that Uhauls have the lowest deck heights in the industry
that east coast driving will end in disaster on slickrock
that I had one of the biggest, yet least capable rigs there
that I need to thank my buddies for putting up with me and my "fly by the seat of my pants" lifestyle
that no matter how different all the NAXJA'ers are were really all the same
that you should check if something is aluminum first before trying to weld it to steel
that east coat "jorts" are "Shants" on the west coast
that dick jokes are appreciated by all chapters
that Denver bums are pretty clean and well spoken compared to NYC bums
that Ironing board=Mobil table
I didnt learn that every one here is the salt of the earth, and super helpfull, because I all ready knew that.

I learned:

I miss Moab and hope that its not another 5 years before I get to go back.
You can feel like a badass flying your wife in, but when the flight home is cancelled, it sucks.
But it only sucks for one day when they can get her home the next day.
NAXJA events are better when you aren't in charge, that said, they are still enjoyable.
Vail and Eisenhower pass don't get any better with time and still make me nervous.
The NY guys have an awesome attitude!
I will have a head wind whether I'm going east or west on 70.
Fuel mileage is better in the mountains.
My truck is a beast.
The cabins have run their course and the beds suck something awful.
The awful beds in the cabin helped my wife agree to buying a diesel pusher in the future.
The Midwest Chapter will represent no matter where you are in the country.
I saw parts go from one side of the country to the other just to avoid a couple hour drive at home.
Potato salad hill is open and I did not get a chance to go over to it.
Lions back still looks intimidating...even tho its still closed.
Public lands rock!
Last minute changes in the event can nearly give you a heart attack, but can work out better than planned in the end.
Deep down a lot of XJ guys want an LJ.
The giveawayXJ drove really nice and was a very clean rig.
My Jeep sits low, hits everything, but performs better than I could've ever expected.
Pritchett cayon is still my favorite trail of all time (Even if I'm not sure how to spell it).
Wayne and his boys are some of the best spotters out there.
My wife likes more expensive whiskey than me, but cheaper beer than me.
Quiet is a relative term to the Moab police.
The Moab officers are way cooler than their Sergeant...even tho I got him to laugh.
The unhooked trailer in its own camp spot is the best neighbor at the campground.
I'm still trying to figure out how to retire to Moab.
Bob Loose is cooler in person than on facebook.:kissyou:
Some folks rarely post online, but you always see them in Moab!
Moab is bigger than NAXJA, but business' still notice NAXJA.
I miss Moab and want to go back more often than every 5 years.

mac 'moab' gyvr

I learned:

Vail and Eisenhower pass don't get any better with time and still make me nervous. The Jeep was PISSED going east bound up Eisenhower, everything else made me cringe a little but sitting in the passenger seat while it was happening made me nervous!
My Jeep sits low, hits everything, but performs better than I could've ever expected. Welcome to my world, That dent in your oil pan was impressive though.

I learned:

Pritchett cayon is still my favorite trail of all time (Even if I'm not sure how to spell it).

You got it right. If it is the "Prichard" signs at the beginning that were throwing you off, it wasn't you - it was the signs. They are wrong.

Floyd "Beware of signs on Crane Keek road" XJ

I learned that washing red mud off in the driveway will stain the gutter all the way down the street...

Late to the party, and have been known to be late to the staging area...

I have been putting off a Moab trip for years, now I know it's worth selling your children to go.

I feel home sick, even though I'm home. I want to go back.

Parking in Chicago with a trailer can get costly.

The Tahoe is a great flat land tow rig, not so much at 6% grade.

The cabins are small, and when you have 3 dudes in one cabin it will smell in the morning.

Blue Pig is the best place to eat in Moab. Momma bear is great.

I miss Moab more that anyplace I've been.

NAXJA is a family, dysfunctional, but family. Even those I've met on line become instant friends in person. It's more than a silly little jeep club.

Caltards are normal people in person. Who would have thought? :D

Geoff does not apply to above statement. :D

Moab is so great that I'm thinking of leaving a jeep in Utah.

....more to add

I learned, no matter how awesome 2low is, the Dana 30 pinion is still too small for my needs

Wind, rain and no doors doesn't suck when you are in Moab.
Driving on the road with only 1 bolt holding your steering box will make you nervous.
When said single bolt brakes when you pull into the parking lot of a parts place will make you realize how dumb it is to drive with just 1 bolt holding your steering box on.
At 7pm you can find a steering box and change it in a parts place parking no problem.
I generally don't like cliffs.
Naxja puts on a great event!
Naxja folks are pretty darn cool, no matter where they come from.

I learned that I am not a Chevy guy.
that Uhauls have the lowest deck heights in the industry
that east coast driving will end in disaster on slickrock
that I had one of the biggest, yet least capable rigs there
that I need to thank my buddies for putting up with me and my "fly by the seat of my pants" lifestyle
that no matter how different all the NAXJA'ers are were really all the same
that you should check if something is aluminum first before trying to weld it to steel
that east coat "jorts" are "Shants" on the west coast
that dick jokes are appreciated by all chapters
that Denver bums are pretty clean and well spoken compared to NYC bums
that Ironing board=Mobil table
I didnt learn that every one here is the salt of the earth, and super helpfull, because I all ready knew that.

I remember seeing you guys pull up, and I was thinking to myself" what the f#$k, they drove an XJ into a uhaul and drove it that way? XJ guys do crazier stuff than I thought. didnt even realize it was you guys at the time. Nuts. Can you even open the doors to get out of the thing? how did you strap it down in there ?

and will still be there after four winters of rain :shhh:

Kinda figured after the first two wash downs that it was staying.

One of the few things that my wife wasn't mad about being in the driveway.

Only problem is now every time I see it I want to go back and get more.

Back