• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

srmitchell's Deer Valley/Slickrock run: July 21-24

If you want to try something a little different on Saturday, here's an idea. Run Deer Valley all the way through to Blue Lakes. You could even head up over to Red Lake but there will surely be snow (read: might be fun). Then make your way back to camp on pavement stopping off at Grover Hot Springs in Markleville for a nice soak. It costs $5 last I remember but there is the hot pool and cold pool which is nice.

To be honest, I think there will be way too much snow on the pass to red lakes. At the very top there will likely be multiple feet of icy snow where the trail turns to go down the hill. I took my quad through it last summer and that was an experience in itself... I wouldn't feel anywhere near comfortable taking my jeep through/down it, especially with the amount of snow this year.

Further along the trail, there are multiple spots where the entire road is covered with snow for hundreds of feet, and the water running down the hill melts the snow under the surface. Our jeeps could easily break through it and that would be all bad.

I'm not trying to be rude or shoot down your idea, but from my experience on that trail at the end of last summer, I would strongly suggest not trying to take the jeeps that route.

:cheers:

Then I guess we need a solid-ish plan:

Friday: leave Hermit Valley around 10:00AM, run Corral Hollow to the ridge and eat lunch, then head back down the same way. In the afternoon, play in the lake if you want or do whatever. Night run on Slickrock, meet at the north end of Slickrock (closes to Hermit Valley) at 10PM.

Saturday: run Deer Valley starting at 10AM from Hermit Valley on Hwy 4. You can either run it to the end and then drive to the hot/cold pools, or run it both ways - sounds like there might be people doing both.

Sunday: Run the trails or just head home. Anyone who wants to run Slick rock plan on getting to Slickrock at 10:30AM. Or run Deer Valley if you are headed north. I guess this should give people enough time to pack up and get moving.

Trail CB channel 16.
Make sure your vehicle is in good shape. Less breaking stuff = more fun.
We're in for a good time.

What do you guys think?

Sounds fine, I won't do the night run & we'll go back also from Blue Lakes. I'm planning into camp about 7: PM Thursday night. It'll be good to meet you guys. Thom

Some from my local club went up DV yesterday & hiked. Very many downed trees across the trail and some snow banks. No one has made it to the big rock from either side. Bring your chain saws etc. I'll bring mine also. Sounds like winches will be needed to make it through.

Same here - depends on work but i will try to make it up Thursday at 3PM. I should be there Thursday afternoon, but will definitely be there by Friday at 3PM. Looking forward to a good weekend of wheeling with some cool people...and srmitchell too.

Sounds great guys. I haven't been checking the thread... wayyyy busy with work and the xj.

I got my front axle in, and the XXXXing vibrations are back. LAME.

I have tomorrow to sort it out, and I hope I can.

I'll be at Hermit Valley around noonish.

Screw you Josh!

Sounds great guys. I haven't been checking the thread... wayyyy busy with work and the xj.

I got my front axle in, and the XXXXing vibrations are back. LAME.

I have tomorrow to sort it out, and I hope I can.

I'll be at Hermit Valley around noonish.

Screw you Josh!

srmitchell - get your $h!t together! Have you ever had an XJ without vibes? Vibes chase you like white on rice.:laugh2:

I was making my camping list last night and decided against packing my tent, sleeping bag, and cooking crap. Instead, I'm going to haul my travel trailer to Hermit Valley and have my wife follow behind in my XJ.

I remember talk of road restrictions on Hwy 4 from the Hwy 49 area for travel trailers. I'll do some searching, but can anyone shed light on that?

Edit: I found the original posting from Letterman. It was just a warning of narrow and twisting roads, but Hwy 4 will yield to my superior trailering prowess.

Yeah, on highway 4 after the entrance to Slick Rock and Alpine Lake is a windy, twisty, tight, little road. It drops down to one lane in areas and for most of the distance there is no yellow center dividing line. I have seen RV’s on that road, just not a area to drive fast, but it has some great views!

Here is a quick map of the skinny part of highway 4 and the start of the two trails and the Hermit Valley Campground:

SlickRockMap.jpg

The Hermit Valley Campground is just off to the rightside of the road when heading east on 4, the camp sites are less then a few hundred feet off the road and easy to get RV's and trailers in and out. (At least it was last time I was there)

Last edited:
dude,
get tires balanced. i dont care if you got them balanced 1000 miles ago. unless the vibes were coming before you got them balanced and the balancing did nothing...
check all control arm bushings,
check pinion u-joints on both DS's
look for loose bolts in both axles
check for play in the slip portion of both DS's.

The xj and wj weigh the same. It'd be pretty unsafe, considering the xj wouldn't have brakes.

I'm going to Fat Rat in a little while, we're going to put it on the lift and check stuff out.

dude,
get tires balanced. i dont care if you got them balanced 1000 miles ago. unless the vibes were coming before you got them balanced and the balancing did nothing...
check all control arm bushings,
check pinion u-joints on both DS's
look for loose bolts in both axles
check for play in the slip portion of both DS's.

the problem lies with the loose nut located behind the steering wheel...:looser:

What is the final headcount?

I think the current headcount is somewhere around 11 rigs and 12 people:
1) the_weirdo
2) the_weirdo's brother
3) tcharon and wife
4) ericsxj
5) knucklehead_61
6) rocknxj
7) srmitchell
8) hiimmred
9) 98ghost
10) Jeep450r will be up there and meet us on the trails
11) Lodi_Jim on saturday for Deer Valley (maybe)
12) the_weirdo's dad (maybe)

I was hoping to make it, but it isn't gonna happen. My younger daughter is getting all 4 wisdom teeth pulled Friday. So I'll be staying home to watch over the post surgery drug induced coma :D for the weekend. I hope you all have a great time up there.

Back