• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

...sorry...another build thread...

Coming home from reno the rig had bad DW and would not drive straight. At all. Called AAA and had it towed home. its getting some new parts. Plus the exhaust was pushed into the floor with a horrible burning smell, the wipers stopped pushing water away in the heavy rain and my brake lights went out again.

Going with some high quality rear Deaver leaves and some PAC 6" progressive front coils, and some 7100s in the front for now, and some random pre runner shocks i had lying around with a massive bore for the rear with built in foam bumps for now until I can afford the 7100s for the rear.

I am also going to order a new Ruffstuff trackbar kit and relocate the axle side mount passed the passenger side coil to get the trackbar equal length to the drag link. Finally.

its hard to tell, but it seems like I destroyed the axle side heim on the trackbar already after one weekend and I can feel the clunking popping at the frame at the trackbar mount and through the pitman arm as well and the steering box. I can feel the clunk at the heim on the axle side.

It also appears that I might have taken out a pass side 7/8x3/4 FK RSMX heim as well, after one weekend. I need to do some more shaking and checking to see what is going on there.

Last edited:
I cant imagine how you would have destroyed that rod end. I have 4 seasons on that same rod end and its still tight as a .. well, its very tight.

I cant imagine how you would have destroyed that rod end. I have 4 seasons on that same rod end and its still tight as a .. well, its very tight.

While feeling around I get the most "clunk" from the axle side trackbar heim but It is hard to tell if it really is bad since it is not the usual totally wasted heim clunk.

I can feel it at the frame and at the box so who knows maybe its something else, but the last like 4 times it was trackbar heims. which is weird.

I must have something seriously binding on this thing somewhere. I don't know if it will fix the issue, but at least a longer trackbar will help thats for sure. And if the clunk goes away then I know it was the heims again.

I am quite baffled and confused at this point.

Hey Jon, sorry to hear about the issues. Did you have anyone watch the suspension cycle during trip? Real world flexing would be a good way to see how everything is moving.. just a thought.. Good Luck

Hey Jon, sorry to hear about the issues. Did you have anyone watch the suspension cycle during trip? Real world flexing would be a good way to see how everything is moving.. just a thought.. Good Luck

I probably should to see whats going on. I am sure it did not help that Casey backed up into my rig.
ill also have the front tires balanced again to see if any weight fell off or if a rim is dented.

Last edited:
you should be using 7/8"x7/8" heims. the increased ball size means the race area is bigger and they wear much better than the 7/8x3/4.

7/8x7/8 means going to a JMX heim though. The RSMX should be stronger than a 7/8 jmx

you should be using 7/8"x7/8" heims. the increased ball size means the race area is bigger and they wear much better than the 7/8x3/4.

I use 7/8x7/8 on the trackbar and drag link. I only use 7/8x3/4" on the tie rod. The guys at ruffstuff swear the 7/8x3/4 are stronger . I don't think the race area is bigger though on a 7/8"x7/8"

7/8x7/8 means going to a JMX heim though. The RSMX should be stronger than a 7/8 jmx

stronger in what way? FK rates them both exactly the same strength.

I use 7/8x7/8 on the trackbar and drag link. I only use 7/8x3/4" on the tie rod. The guys at ruffstuff swear the 7/8x3/4 are stronger . I don't think the race area is bigger though on a 7/8"x7/8"

are you actually breaking the heims? no. you are wearing them out.

the 7/8" definitely has more race area. I just went through this swap on my rig.

the 7/8" definitely has more race area. I just went through this swap on my rig.

I can confirm this. Holding both in my hand side by side, the race is larger on the 7/8x7/8 due to the larger circumference of the spherical ball, as well as the body around the ball being slightly thicker.

Jon, which coil springs did you order? After camping this weeknd with complete roof covered with gear and new 90lb 4 man raft on top, my coils are too soft for safety. I think my lift is older rc 4.5 inch lift. I have always felt the springs were too soft and now I added the hybrid cage this winter. I keep seeing that the rc coils are about same spring rate as stock? Not sure? I believe they were about 22 inchs in length and on vehicle they are 16.5 inch. I am thinking pac springs 4inch 200 or 250. But 250 seems a bit stiff and 200 maybe too light. Only the 6 inch is in 200lb spring rate..... decisions

when in doubt, go firmer. ;)

somewhere i have a set of 6" 250's, but i cant figure out where they got stashed.

I ordered PAC 6" 250 lb progressive coils from JEGS

One is 250 one is 165. Contacted jegs to find out what happened. Order is for 2 250 lb coils ...

Oh no that sucks. Is there part numbers right on the springs? My 250lb 4 inch springs should be here wednessday. I guess I better check if they are correct. I got my new 16 inch black magic big brake kit installed tonight. Just need to bleed and get it off the jack stands. I cant wait for some good strong brakes.

there are part numbers, one is a 250b spring, one is a 165lb spring. damn. I was hoping to swap them tonight so I can start the trackbar.

Back