• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GUNS & AMMO

I was considering buying a S&W tactical .22 for my girlfriend and son. My girlfriend absolutely loves shooting my .22 rifle and when she shoots, she wants to shoot all day. So I'd rather her go through a 500 box of .22 than want to keep dropping $$ on 5.56. My son is only 9mo old right now, so I figured that would be a good starter gun for him in about 5 years or so. Then when I build an AR and he's got the tactical .22, he can have a gun that is "just like daddy's" without having to worry about him shooting a lot of money away either.

The thing is for a .22 even a conversion for your AR is nice, but for the price just by a RUGER 10-22 for $211 :D

Exactly, I know how to operate an AR so I don't need a .22 conversion for it. Plus my 10/22 has a bull barrel, floated stock, Aftermarket extractor, bolt release and mag release, its all I need.

Then when I build an AR and he's got the tactical .22, he can have a gun that is "just like daddy's" without having to worry about him shooting a lot of money away either.

That is a valid use and in fact I may ultimately do that as well. I'm not sure when I'll be introducing Sebastian to firearms yet though, I won't be making that call until the time comes.

Yeah, I can't say for sure when I'll introduce him to guns. I was 10 when my dad started hunting and 11 when I had my first gun. I don't see any harm in having a gun younger, just how young? I'm sure he'll be interested long before he'll be able to handle a larger caliber, though.

I don't see any harm in having a gun younger, just how young?

In my opinion that depends a lot on the child (and parent). When my wife and I feel that Sebastian is responsible enough I will introduce him to BB guns to start training, once I feel he's good enough there he will progress to the old Remington Model 33 single shot bolt action .22LR and move up from there. The same story will apply to his sister Charlotte.

That sounds like a logical method. BB guns...great idea! I should have thought of that. And you're right, responsibility is key.

My dad died when i was 6 so he wasnt around to introduce me to guns, it was my uncle that did. He had taken me shooting before but I was 8 when he bought me my first BB gun. I remember there was one time when I covered him with the muzzle of it and got yelled at for it. I responded with "but the safety is on" and thats when I REALLY got a yelled at. Never ever did that happen again and I learned right away that the only safety that matters is the person holding the gun.

Edit:
But I might not be what you want your kids to grow up as so I suggest caution =)

Right. Safe direction was a term that was damn near beat into me. I've taken a few kids shooting who had very little experience. I've always done the set up and loading, but even without a lot of coaching, they're very good at putting the safety on after emptying the magazine and checking the chamber.

Fwiw my son has been shooting since he was four. He turns 9 Saturday and for the second year in a row he's getting a .22 for his birthday. I have full confidence I could leave him all by himself around any type of gun and he would be no more likely to hurt himself or anyone else around him than a responsible adult would be. Obviously I wouldn't let that happen but I'm confident he has more gun safety beat into his little brain than half the guys you see at the range on the weekends.

It's a way of life for us. No different than a 8 year old growing up on a dairy farm having the ability to milk a cow without getting his head caved in.

I shot CO2 .22 pellet guns in our basement from the time I was 5. I knew from the moment I used them that they could kill something. The problem with BB guns is that people treat them like toys. I had a 20 guage when I was 9. Only after that would my dad allow me to have a toy gun, when he knew that I knew that guns are for killing.

Now my kid had airsoft, paintball guns, etc. He plays violent video games. However, he seems to have soaked up all the safety stuff I've taught him, and is fine on the firing range. :dunno: I guess the key is that if you treat weapons with the respect they are due, your child will also.

Wait a minute. Are you guys trying to say that my 9mm could actually hurt somebody? Seriously? Well shoot, I purposely went with a 9mm because I thought they didn't have any sort of injury capability. :D

I was in Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts. I had to earn a safety card just to carry a pocket knife.

So Geoff, how's the LCR shoot?

Took it out today.

To start... I guess you could say I have largish hands, I wear an XL in gloves. My hands are a bit slender, not big slabs of beef. I don't have a lot of larger caliber handgun experience.

Accuracy - Can't really say there at this time. I was at the outdoor range and the closest I could shoot at was 7 yards. My pattern sucked but that probably had a lot more to do with me than the gun. I was able to score a few hits on the 25 yard steel swinger though!

.38 Special, 132 Grain
Recoil wasn't bad at all. I could feel that I was firing a gun but it did not beat me up. I was able to comfortably fire it one handed without an obnoxious amount of muzzle flip.

.357 Magnum, 158 Grain
This had a nice smart recoil. Not quite as bad as I was anticipating but you *really* know you're firing a gun. After running the entire box of 50 through in fairly quick succession my hand was just beginning to feel a little tired, by the time I was done stowing my brass I had recovered. I did fire five shots one handed but that wasn't very effective, a lot more muzzle rise.

All in all I'd say that it worked out quite nicely for me. I'll have to get some more ammo and take it with me to the indoor range so I can see just how well I can pattern at various ranges.

I noticed that you don't want to grip the gun high. Keep the web of your thumb/forefinger at the Houge logo and those Hogue Tamer grips will do their job well. If you let your grip go high (I tend to grip handguns as high as I can) you will fell the recoil quite a bit more.

I will say this, after the LCR was out of food I ran four mags through my 92FS. Boy that didn't feel like it had any recoil at all in comparison. I still sucked though, I need to practice a lot more with that gun, I can't allow myself to shoot much better with my soulless plastic gun.

I was browsing Sportsman's warehouse today and came across these there. I had gotten an email from Brownell's awhile back advertising from them that they were $10 on sale, but with shipping two of them cost $8+ to ship. AT the time I passed on buying from Brownell's.

When I saw them at Sportsman's for $12.99 on sale I impulsively picked up two of them because I secretly really wanted some.

ZOMBIE-AMMO-CAN.jpg

Nice boxes for $13.00, normal price there was $24.99, didnt think the novelty was worth that much....................

On a totally different side-note, getting that stock photo from MTM to post here for the ammo box I bought. The page they have to advertise it has another picture, this one;

AMMO-CAN-ZOMBIE.jpg

Three things;

First off; they saying sensible dressed women who are well groomed are only there to hold your ammo can and nothing more?

Second; What is with the Flannel? I don't even own conventional pattern Flannel like that. I do have a hat that looks like that. Are they saying I need to a flannel shirt to be prepared for the possible upcoming Zombie Apocalypse???

Third; What is with the guy holding his AR like it is his Johnson. He doesn't even have a magazine in the rifle. They grabbed the ammo can but forgot the magazines? ..............Maybe he is Zombie bait, the real survivors are hiding ready to ambush a pack of brain eating freaks.

:jester:

Last edited:
Took it out today.

To start... I guess you could say I have largish hands, I wear an XL in gloves. My hands are a bit slender, not big slabs of beef. I don't have a lot of larger caliber handgun experience.

Accuracy - Can't really say there at this time. I was at the outdoor range and the closest I could shoot at was 7 yards. My pattern sucked but that probably had a lot more to do with me than the gun. I was able to score a few hits on the 25 yard steel swinger though!

.38 Special, 132 Grain
Recoil wasn't bad at all. I could feel that I was firing a gun but it did not beat me up. I was able to comfortably fire it one handed without an obnoxious amount of muzzle flip.

.357 Magnum, 158 Grain
This had a nice smart recoil. Not quite as bad as I was anticipating but you *really* know you're firing a gun. After running the entire box of 50 through in fairly quick succession my hand was just beginning to feel a little tired, by the time I was done stowing my brass I had recovered. I did fire five shots one handed but that wasn't very effective, a lot more muzzle rise.

All in all I'd say that it worked out quite nicely for me. I'll have to get some more ammo and take it with me to the indoor range so I can see just how well I can pattern at various ranges.

I noticed that you don't want to grip the gun high. Keep the web of your thumb/forefinger at the Houge logo and those Hogue Tamer grips will do their job well. If you let your grip go high (I tend to grip handguns as high as I can) you will fell the recoil quite a bit more.

I will say this, after the LCR was out of food I ran four mags through my 92FS. Boy that didn't feel like it had any recoil at all in comparison. I still sucked though, I need to practice a lot more with that gun, I can't allow myself to shoot much better with my soulless plastic gun.

My experience, weight means a lot with a magnum caliber. That is a small revolver for the .357 mag. My old SP-101 in .357 was comfortable to shoot but I was no marksman with the thing after the first shot I was all over the place, like trying to wrangle a puppy. On the other hand my dad's old .44 magnum Super Redhawk with the 7" barrel is heavy, if you can hold the thing up long enough to line up the target the follow up is a lot easier. Not hard to shoot at all.

I was browsing Sportsman's warehouse today and came across these there. I had gotten an email from Brownell's awhile back advertising from them that they were $10 on sale, but with shipping two of them cost $8+ to ship. AT the time I passed on buying from Brownell's.

When I saw them at Sportsman's for $12.99 on sale I impulsively picked up two of them because I secretly really wanted some.

ZOMBIE-AMMO-CAN.jpg

Nice boxes for $13.00, normal price there was $24.99, didnt think the novelty was worth that much....................

On a totally different side-note, getting that stock photo from MTM to post here for the ammo box I bought. The page they have to advertise it has another picture, this one;

AMMO-CAN-ZOMBIE.jpg

Three things;

First off; they saying sensible dressed women who are well groomed are only there to hold your ammo can and nothing more?

Second; What is with the Flannel? I don't even own conventional pattern Flannel like that. I do have a hat that looks like that. Are they saying I need to a flannel shirt to be prepared for the possible upcoming Zombie Apocalypse???

Third; What is with the guy holding his AR like it is his Johnson. He doesn't even have a magazine in the rifle. They grabbed the ammo can but forgot the magazines? ..............Maybe he is Zombie bait, the real survivors are hiding ready to ambush a pack of brain eating freaks.

:jester:

Or...Maybe you are over thinking it.

Question for you guys.....
What average range are you shooting your pistols at?

After readin a lot of posts/write-ups, seems as tho I am shooting at too far a distance and should use larger targets..... :dunno:

Back