• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GUNS & AMMO

This is my little .22 in the Mossberg 702 variety. Cheap and effective enough to kill the hell out of some paper.
6329_1195328996815_1036140294_30593913_1107907_n.jpg

And my newest long gun. I've really fell in love with this thing.
P3260501.jpg

Remington 700 SPS ADL .243 that has plans for bedding, trigger, stock and BDL conversion.

This + a full auto AR-15 would be a fun way to blow $30 in less than a minute:

clear_beta.jpg

I think those things are stupid, thats what the M249 is for people. Its actually designed to fire a 200rnd belt of 5.56 from a drum that won't jam on you like that beta-mag.

.300 Black Out should work in it.

I've been eyeing Skully's barrel in the classifieds.....not sure if thats the way I want to go or not.

For a long time I had figured I would go with .22LR when I finally started a build, but now that I have been looking into it the .300 blackout has been very temping.

Still got time to decide.

.300 Black Out should work in it.

Yes, .300 BLK will work using all the existing hardware for a 5.56mm AR (minus the barrel)

Check out this Ballistic gel vid of 115gr and 125 grain .300 blk.

VIDEO

Some of the reasons I went with .300 blk as a pistol and carbine; (6.8spc has a little more out of 16" barrel but you have to change so much more stuff and ammo is more $$$$
300-chart2.jpg
300-chart2.jpg

(thing wouldn't let me link the ballistics jpg. I beat it though)
300-chart2.jpg

Last edited:
IF I build an AR that's my plan. A Dedicated 5.56 and the slap the 200$ .22LR bolt and mag combo in it for plinking fun.

Why would you build a dedicated .22?

Proper barrel. For a long time I thought I would do a drop in on a .223, but more recently I have been thinking of just going with a dedicated .22 upper half, and then later a .300 blackout upper half.

I've seen a lot of mixed reviews about the .22 drop in on a .223 barrel, which is why it leads me to consider just going with a .22 barrel.

The nice thing though is that you can build a plethora of uppers using the same registered lower. Matt and I were discussing this the other day. You could more easily carry a bag of uppers than a bunch of complete weapons. Have a long barrel upper for hunting/sniping, a 16" barrel upper for all around carry, and a 10" barrel upper for building/room clearing. Each upper coould be setup for a different round that'll work better for what its intended purpose is too. Do some color coding on the hand guards and magazines and you won't have to worry about putting the wrong round in the wrong upper.

24" heavy barrel setup for 6.5 Grendel (sniper)
16" barrel setup for 5.56 (standard carry)
10" barrel setup for .300 Black Out (up close and personal)

The nice thing though is that you can build a plethora of uppers using the same registered lower. Matt and I were discussing this the other day. You could more easily carry a bag of uppers than a bunch of complete weapons. Have a long barrel upper for hunting/sniping, a 16" barrel upper for all around carry, and a 10" barrel upper for building/room clearing.

Yup that was kinda my thinking, build a 22LR upper with the proper 1/16 twist barrel for cheap pinking and accurate fun, get comfortable with it, use it for target practice, and then move onto other uppers. Go out shooting with a single lower and a bunch of different uppers.

I'm really not at the point in my life where I can drop big money on anything(which is why I was considering a composite lower for awhile), I just want good cheap fun, and .22LR is a good way for me to get that).

I am not sure why .22 is so popular for plinking. (other than cost)

I see dedicated .22 ARs everywhere for $400+ To me .22 is like shooting spit balls at a target, it is great for training but it doesn't give you a real world experience. I learned, my boys will learn on a .22 then graduate up, 5.56mm is super easy to shoot in an AR.

I have witnessed first hand people who become great with shooting a .22 then when they get a rifle round they have to re-learn to control and shoot it. Train, train train with what you would use so it wont be a surprise when you actually do need to use it.

On a different subject, I have this Old Springfield Armory M1 Garand in .30-06, pretty good condition, needs a little TLC.

Was pondering selling it (my life is going to get pretty tough here soon for $$$) After comparing prices and researching model numbers there all over ARmslist and Gunsamerica for $1000+...........

WOW! never knew, now I am thinking $600-$800 for selling.

Am I an idiot for not being in love with this thing (i have shot plenty of these things in School rifle squad etc. .30-06 is a potent round, hurts like hell, but no real desire to lug around)?

Personally I'll run one of my .22s if I want to shoot .22. But if I did decide to build a .22 AR I'd go the dedicated upper route as well. A lot of .22LR is dirty stuff, I don't want that crap in my gas port or tube. With my existing rifles I can run that dirty, dirty Remington Thunderbolt if I want to.

Personally I'll run one of my .22s if I want to shoot .22. But if I did decide to build a .22 AR I'd go the dedicated upper route as well. A lot of .22LR is dirty stuff, I don't want that crap in my gas port or tube. With my existing rifles I can run that dirty, dirty Remington Thunderbolt if I want to.

The thing is for a .22 even a conversion for your AR is nice, but for the price just by a RUGER 10-22 for $211 :D

Back