• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big Bear Annual Event - IMPORTANT

Please select if you will be caming or hoteling and if you will be at the AAT.

• Total voters
I need to know as well. I am going to be camping. Orignally I was going to stay a hotel, but now my wife is not going to be wiht me, I can camp.

I may also have a friend with me in his Grand Cherokee. He has his own tent.

So I need 2 tent spaces please.

Thanks,

Robert

bburge said:
Where is the camping?

I'd like to get a space before they're all gone. I think if it's Serrano, that would be about a month ago...

bburge

You have impeccible timing Mr. Burge, I was on the phone with ReserveUSA as you posted this. :)

Sites are still availble at Serrano, I spoke with them and to keep us all together you should request sites between numbers 86 - 114. Details are below:

Site: Serrano
Fee: $24 / night
Max People per Site: 8
Max Vehicle per Site: 1
Extra Vehicle Fee: $5 / vehicle

If you are going to attend the Adopt-A-Trail maintenance please contact me before placing your reservations. I plan to go up there on Thursday (April 21st) night and stay through Sunday.

Reservations can be obtained through ReserveUSA by website or telephone: www.reserveusa.com or 877.444.6777

Sequoia

Sequoia

OK, I'm in for the AAT maintenance on Friday... Work wants me in on Saturday and Sunday (we're shorthanded) so no camping for me :( See y'all up there...

additional questions: #1-ok, then are we all staying at the serrano campground or..#2-.is there a group that is staying at non-camping area? #3-also, will this be our base camp and then to the different trails ec day? or.#4-..is there not a base camp area that we can all camp that is not a etablished camp ground. last one, does the $24 pe nite include full hook-ups?

let me know...so i can let the bako crew know. possibly 5 rigs from bakersfild.

Okay...here's what I know :)

1: The campers are staying at Serrano, there are a few that are not campers, they will be in hotels.

2: Not sure I fully understand this one - unless you're talking about hotels, see above :)

3: We will be meeting up at the Discovery Center which is all of 200 yards East of the campgrounds, that way we will not bother other campers with staging and all that.

4: Yes and no. The group camp areas that are close to what you refer to do exist, however they are a bit out there (Serrano and the Discovery Center are right in the middle of it all) and they have no facilities (except pit toilets in one or two of them), we had some people who wanted hook ups and running water for showers.

5: I'm not sure about an extra charge for hook-ups or if the regular sites have Power/Water, the thought didn't even occur to me. I would give ReserveUSA a call at 877.444.6777.

Sequoia

thanks for the info? the question of: are there others camping in a diiff. area was only related to the price of tent camping {$24.00} seems a little high. were use to open camping in the central sierras...no charge! [ex: swamp lake} serrano sounds great...
if 8 people can stay at a sight..then how many tents will they allow?

I have camped here many times. It is the nicest in big bear as far as maintenance and showers. (no other campsite has onsite showers). It has a view of big bear lake from a lot of sites. Remi and I have site 122 which is in the wooded portion of the campground. We had allready reserved it. To answer some questions:
1. They only allow 2 vehicles in each site unless its a family site, it is basically 2 sites together and you can have 4 in those sites. They ENFORCE this!!! There is parking on a little road next to the camp site which you will be able to see from your campsite but requires a forest adventure pass. Every vehicle after the first is $5.00 dollars.
2. As many tents as you want to pitch but no more than 8 people. They will also ENFORCE this!!! They also have a quiet time rule. I believe nothing more than a whisper after 10:00pm.
3. There are many full hook up sites but they charge I believe an $8.00 premium for these sites on top of the 24.00 dollars to camp there.

P.s Its a nice place to camp but they frown on noise and any petroleum products leaking from your vehicle. Do NOT get caught going over 15 miles an hour in the park. I have seen them ask people to pack up and leave for disobeying any of these.

Last edited:
Thanks for the backup Jay! :)

Now on to other items...

First, the info thread has been updated, you can find it here: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49199

DINNER! Saturday night there will be a dinner of Captian Ron's famous Tri Tip. The charge for the dinner will be $7 / head. Dinner tickets can be purchased at any time on Friday or Saturday from me or at the dinner itself.

RAFFLE! We are having an equipment raffle. Tickets will be $2 / each. Bring a fist full of dollars and win some cool swag, the prizes are guarenteed not to suck :) Tickets can be purchased from Monday, April 18 through the drawing on Saturday night after the dinner. The winner need not be present. Keep your eyes peeled for arrangements for pre-sale tickets (Monday the 18th through Thursday the 21st).

Sequoias

Ed A. Stevens said:
Good.

I can have a hot pot of coffee brewed at the cabin, along with water and a compressor full of air (or maybe save that air for after the runs, along with a few cool one's in the fridge).

328 E. Fairway Bl, Big Bear City, near Paradise, the last road to cross between BB Boulevard and NorthShore Drive east of the airport, only a few minutes from the trailhead for Gold Mountain. Park in the driveway, or the front yard (it's a cabin, not the Ritz).

I might even have crash pad room the night before (PM me, if needed).
Prerun reminder:
meeting spot: http://tinyurl.com/5tjce
meeting time: 9am

Helen and I have reserved space #94.

We're looking ot get there a little early...

Since I'll be unemployed starting next Friday, We're going up on Wednesday.

:party:

bburge

we're booked...space #63 and #67. we'll be bringing 4 rigs so far from bakersfield, three tent campers and one motorhome, two families and two solo's plus maybe brother richard [goatman] and a few others will drive up sat. a.m from johnson valley. our local 4wd club [the bakersfield trailblazers] is there the same week-end.

how manty rigs are we expecting? 20 or more, is the poll correct? :)

How many rigs?

For which part? Yeah probably 20 or so for the Sat Sun wheeling stuff.

I figure about 3 for the Trail maintanance on Friday.... :laugh3:

I'll be one of them! :rattle:

I'm still looking forward to it.... :wave:

bburge

I will be there Late Friday night through Sunday with one rig. Save a great spot for me Bill!

-Cracker

You have to make a reservation! I'm in #94. I choose one with space on each side so that I don't drive anyone crazy with my snoring!

My sinus's have lockers to provide equal traction on both sides! None of this "pass air to the side of least resistance" stuff. :laugh3:

bburge

I really wanted to make it up there all 3 days, but it looks like I'll be working that entire week + weekend. Plus, between Moab and the Jambo, I think I've broken enough.

If you can, Bring a CamCorder... I edit video and can put together a DVD of the event when its over I will be willing to burn DVDs for everyone who wants one if they pay for the dvd blank... Also your camera, even if it isn't digital, i have a scanner... The more footage the better... Different angles of the Hard sections of the runs.... stuff like that...

Ken

Back