• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big Bear Annual Event - IMPORTANT

Please select if you will be caming or hoteling and if you will be at the AAT.

• Total voters
Can't make the trail maintenance day on Friday. I'll be drving up after work.

And I'll be roughing it for two nights...at the Motel 6.

big bear planning..have some questions:
1. where exactly is the camp ground located?
2. off the 18 or the 38?
3. is the camp ground on the trail that we will drive to or..is it a base camp?
4. if a base camp...are there tents only or campers or motor homes?
5.are the trails noted on the calif. atlas topo map?

goatman and i are planning on being there plus..
looking to bring a few other rigs from the bako area.

thanks!! sounds like loads of fun :)

The camp ground issue isn't fully decided yet, I'm waiting to hear back from our USFS rep on a few finer details.

There's a few options, there's the Round Valley or Juniper Springs Group camp areas, those do not have much in the way of facilities and would not be RV friendly (especially with the way the weather has been). They are both on the Eastern side of Big Bear off 2N01, pretty close to 38. The ohter option is Serrano, a fully equiped campground off 18 just a stones throw West of the Big Bear Discovery Center, that site will cost some money to stay in, I'm finding out if we can get a group deal.

The trails are on Topo Maps, but they're not by name, they are by number. I will provide trail numbers for all trails I know and I'll probably create Topo maps of each, in either case I'll let you know the numbers and where to find them.

Let us know as soon as you can how many people/rigs you're bringing along, that way I can let our USFS guy know for the camping situation. Also, let us know if you plan to do the Adopt-A-Trail maintenance.

See you there,
Sequoia

GSequoia said:
The ohter option is Serrano, a fully equiped campground off 18 just a stones throw West of the Big Bear Discovery Center, that site will cost some money to stay in, I'm finding out if we can get a group deal.
Aren't we supposed to get a deal or something from them since we are doing the adopt a trail (plus we'll be cleaning up that Friday)

Kejtar said:
Aren't we supposed to get a deal or something from them since we are doing the adopt a trail (plus we'll be cleaning up that Friday)

We do get a deal with group campgrounds for the Adopt-A-Trail service, that is what I am in contact with our USFS rep for. That deal would not normally be extended to Serrano though, I have asked him if he can check into Serrano though as far as booking a group of sites.

Sequoia

what time will you be meeting on friday? don't know yet what time we'll be leaving bakersfield. [the thing called work}
are some of you camping thurs nite?

GSequoia said:
The camp ground issue isn't fully decided yet, I'm waiting to hear back from our USFS rep on a few finer details.

There's a few options, there's the Round Valley or Juniper Springs Group camp areas, those do not have much in the way of facilities and would not be RV friendly (especially with the way the weather has been). They are both on the Eastern side of Big Bear off 2N01, pretty close to 38. The ohter option is Serrano, a fully equiped campground off 18 just a stones throw West of the Big Bear Discovery Center, that site will cost some money to stay in, I'm finding out if we can get a group deal.

The trails are on Topo Maps, but they're not by name, they are by number. I will provide trail numbers for all trails I know and I'll probably create Topo maps of each, in either case I'll let you know the numbers and where to find them.

Let us know as soon as you can how many people/rigs you're bringing along, that way I can let our USFS guy know for the camping situation. Also, let us know if you plan to do the Adopt-A-Trail maintenance.

See you there,
Sequoia

I will be bringing 1 XJ and me. I may actually camp with the group since my wife will not be coming with me.

Thanks,

Robert

i would really like to be there but i need a few things to pass the safety requirements (i still have NO hooks anywhere on my jeep).

also, how insane are these trails? mine is still stock height... im sure i will be limited on where i can go but i dont want to be completly left out...

i MAY have my lift by then but even so it will only be 3" with 31's....

JOe

KingOfTheHill said:
i would really like to be there but i need a few things to pass the safety requirements (i still have NO hooks anywhere on my jeep).

also, how insane are these trails? mine is still stock height... im sure i will be limited on where i can go but i dont want to be completly left out...

i MAY have my lift by then but even so it will only be 3" with 31's....

JOe

Holcomb can generally be done stock with good driving, same for most of John Bull, with the exception of the "nasty" part (that's really what people think of when they think of John Bull), there is a bypass however.

If you get the lift and 31's on you won't have a problem with Holcomb / John Bull. Tow Points are mandatory, especially with the threat of snow still being there. Do you have a receiver in the back? If so get a receiver shackle or hook, that will cover you there. Up front you'll need to get either tow hooks (meaning the whole tow hook bracket assembly, we will not accept hooks just bolted or welded onto the bumper or "frame," a bumper, or a front receiver. Hooks or a receiver can be had for around $100 - $125 new from a variety of places. If money is tight and you have some hunting time I would suggest hitting a local bone yard or two to find hooks and a rear receiver if you don't have one.

Put the word out, I'm sure you'll find people here that are willing to help with the lift and / or recovery points in your area.

If all else fails you can always come on out and camp with us and hitch a ride with somebody, there'll be plenty of empty seats I'm sure (I'll have one empty seat).

Sequoia

thanks for the reply.

im not gonna deal with tow hooks due to the slight difference in price for a front hitch.

i just ordered up 2 draw-tite hitches for Front and Rear for my xj.... i got the recovery strap, extinguisher, and first aid kit tonight.

gonna scratch build my own roofrack to hold the jack and shovel (gonna start that tomorrow)

so looks like i'll be saftey ready... just working on my lift now... thanks again

JOe

I'd definately like to go, Big Bear looks like a great place to wheel. I've never been on a run w/ you guys before, but is anyone aloud to go? I have an XJ on 32" tires and a lil lift, open diffs. Would be glad to go and meet some XJers :)... and I've got all the mandatory equipment etc..

Come on out you're invited!

Newbies are required to buy the beer. :cheers:

(Just kidding)

Looks like I will only be able to do the prerun on the 10th of april. So anybody who wants to come please respond to this thread and the powers that be need to contact me and let me know which trails are on the agenda. I will get with t-bent and try to get all of them run down and checkeds out.

ryurabbit said:
Looks like I will only be able to do the prerun on the 10th of april. So anybody who wants to come please respond to this thread and the powers that be need to contact me and let me know which trails are on the agenda. I will get with t-bent and try to get all of them run down and checkeds out.

I'll be there :D :D

ryurabbit said:
...the powers that be need to contact me and let me know which trails are on the agenda...

You would ask for that! Actually it's a valid question, nobody has posted up what they want to run!

As I stated before I am assuming that people will want to run Holcomb and John Bull, I've heard about Pontiac Sluice too.

Maybe Gold Mountain? Everybody, please post up where you want to drive!

I might be able to make the pre-run, depends on just how crazy things are for me at that time with the job and the grossly polluting Jeep.

Sequoia

ryurabbit said:

I take it the prerun will be the "hard" trails?

I am planning the weekend of the 10/11th (and the 23/24th) in Big Bear.

What are the favored trails to run?

Gold Mtn, John Bull, 2N08 (upper Holcomb Creek), Holcomb Creek, White Mtn. and back to Fawnskin/BB via 3N14? This makes a long day.

What about the other semi-hard trails in the north (near 2N04): Horsethief Flat (3N03A) and Heartbreak Ridge / Pontiac Sluice (3N69A and the Onyx loop)? Do we want to try to run one of these on the clean up day?

Is the intent to run two groups (hard and not-as-hard)?

Are we planning to have everyone meet near the hard section climb of JB (with a bypass group route for this west section of JB)? The bypass could be something like the boulder squeeze trail that leads past the mining claims back down to 2N07, with a group(s) reconnect point at the decomposed granite pit in Arctic Canyon (near the west end of JB) or the creek crossing on Holcomb?

On Holcomb is the intent to split groups with a choice of the rockgarden or Canada Larga (2N07X)?

We could also offer a choice of Holcomb Creek or White Mountain as the afternoon companion to John Bull, or let the choice be with the group split.

What is the plan, or what do people want for runs?

I've been plannign on a hard and not quite so hard group. I don't knwo what all everybody wants to run (Hint hint everybody - that's what this post is about!), I'll make an executive decision though if necessary! I know there was talk about Pontiac when we set up this gig, so I would assume that's a given.

The boulder squeeze is a good way to do the bypass of the nasty section of John Bull, little more fun than just driving back the way they came. My plan would be to hit JB from the East to the West.

Last time we were up there (November) we heard that Holcomb was pretty much gone around the rock garden (Something about erosion near a tree and the trail falling into a ravine) so we opted with 2N07X. If the trail is still in bad condition (would I wouldn't be surprised about) we can still go in from 2N07X. If there's snow still up there 2N07X is still pretty fun, I barly got through it's rock garden!

So all that being said...
What trails do you wanna run people?!
Thank you, now back to your regularly scheduled programme. ;)

GSequoia said:
I've been plannign on a hard and not quite so hard group. I don't knwo what all everybody wants to run (Hint hint everybody - that's what this post is about!), I'll make an executive decision though if necessary! I know there was talk about Pontiac when we set up this gig, so I would assume that's a given.

The boulder squeeze is a good way to do the bypass of the nasty section of John Bull, little more fun than just driving back the way they came. My plan would be to hit JB from the East to the West.

Last time we were up there (November) we heard that Holcomb was pretty much gone around the rock garden (Something about erosion near a tree and the trail falling into a ravine) so we opted with 2N07X. If the trail is still in bad condition (would I wouldn't be surprised about) we can still go in from 2N07X. If there's snow still up there 2N07X is still pretty fun, I barly got through it's rock garden!

So all that being said...
What trails do you wanna run people?!
Thank you, now back to your regularly scheduled programme. ;)

OK... here's for me: John Bull, Holocomb, anything fun :D

I am game to try any trail. Not sure if I will have gears and lockers, but I will give anything try, almost. I am down for John Bull, Holcomb or anything. I have ran Holcomb and Gold Mountain. Both are fun and can offer some challenges.

I would like to run something different though.

Thanks,

Robert

rpraterxj said:
I would like to run something different though.

Thanks,

Robert

Good feedback.

Since the rain everything is a little different (even easy runs like Jacoby Canyon).

We should probably assign trail ratings after the pre-run.

Back