• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big Bear Annual Event - IMPORTANT

Please select if you will be caming or hoteling and if you will be at the AAT.

• Total voters
Kejtar said:
From the looks of the oncoming weather and altogether the weird weather we've been having year round I have a feeling that the answer to this question is going to be as follows:
whatever is not under 6 feet of snow at the time :D

Yep! They received over 3 more inches these past couple of days with another 6 or more expected over this week. Guess what the forecast is next week? More rain snow....crazy weather.

How will this affect the trail work for that Friday?

Robert

rpraterxj said:
How will this affect the trail work for that Friday?
I recall someone was selling a snow plow for an XJ not too long ago :D In any case we'll find out in less then 3 weeks when we go and take a look at it the weekend before. I talked to someone that went there not too long ago and I think we might have a fair amount of work ahead of us.

Kejtar said:
In that case be careful when you listen to Tim, as he makes more turns then me :D (just ask Ethan)

Alright you two, does the phrase, "2N04 @ 2N01 via Cactus Flats" ring any frosty white bells with either of you??? :wave:

Bent said:
Alright you two, does the phrase, "2N04 @ 2N01 via Cactus Flats" ring any frosty white bells with either of you??? :wave:
:twak: I played back that voicemail for you and it didn't sound anything like you claimed it did later :D :D But I guess you're excused as you were cold and hungry that day ;) I got a winch mounted now though in case you decide to get stuck again :)

Okay, well it's been long enough - Executive decision time!

Scout team here's what I'm thinking we should check out for our runs.

John Bull (3N10) I'm most interested in the boulder section on the Eastern edge of the "nasty" section.
Holcomb Creek (3N93) In November there was talk about very bad erosion at the Western end of the trail around 3N16, something about a ravine on one side and a tree on the other and it being impassable. Also how hard is the rocky section at the very Western edge, you guys know my rig, would I be able to make it up there?
Holcomb Creek Alternate (2N06X) I can't really think of many trouble spots here, the rock garden can be interesting in the snow and there is a water crossing just before that, good chance of erosion there.
Gold Mountain (3N69) I don't know enough about Gold Mountain to ask about trouble spots, only been on it once, the infamous time. :)
Pontiac Sluice I don't know the trail number nor anything about this trail, I do know that Ed Stevens knows it though.

If you guys want to check out any other trails just let me know, I'm thinking that the above would be a good selection. If necessary we can set up some green runs if we have newbies and/or unlifted rigs out (something along the lines of a 3N16 / 2N02 / 2N04 caliber trail run perhaps, Ed do you have any other suggestions?), if necessary I will step down with the Holcomb / John Bull leadership :)(!) if there isn't anybody to lead those and I can find a good person to lead the others.

Anyway, get your Jeeps ready, I want to see you there!

Long winded an only halfway sensible - must be a post by Sequoia!
Sequoia

GSequoia said:
Okay, well it's been long enough - Executive decision time!

Scout team here's what I'm thinking we should check out for our runs.

John Bull (3N10) I'm most interested in the boulder section on the Eastern edge of the "nasty" section.
Holcomb Creek (3N93) In November there was talk about very bad erosion at the Western end of the trail around 3N16, something about a ravine on one side and a tree on the other and it being impassable. Also how hard is the rocky section at the very Western edge, you guys know my rig, would I be able to make it up there?
Holcomb Creek Alternate (2N06X) I can't really think of many trouble spots here, the rock garden can be interesting in the snow and there is a water crossing just before that, good chance of erosion there.
Gold Mountain (3N69) I don't know enough about Gold Mountain to ask about trouble spots, only been on it once, the infamous time. :)
Pontiac Sluice I don't know the trail number nor anything about this trail, I do know that Ed Stevens knows it though.

If you guys want to check out any other trails just let me know, I'm thinking that the above would be a good selection. If necessary we can set up some green runs if we have newbies and/or unlifted rigs out (something along the lines of a 3N16 / 2N02 / 2N04 caliber trail run perhaps, Ed do you have any other suggestions?), if necessary I will step down with the Holcomb / John Bull leadership :)(!) if there isn't anybody to lead those and I can find a good person to lead the others.

Anyway, get your Jeeps ready, I want to see you there!

Long winded an only halfway sensible - must be a post by Sequoia!
Sequoia

I ran ALL of Holcomb Creek on Dec. 27th. There were a couple of nasty spots, one narrow area, but my friends full size made it through. Not sure what the weather has done to it since.
I ran all of Gold mountain, including rock garden on Dec 11th. Icy on the back side, rock garden was fun, and there are a couple of "step-up" areas (there is kind of a by-pass that is not as challenging).

I ran these with my 2000 XJ 3.5" lift, 31's, armor, open diffs both ends. And I am still considered a novice (less than 2 years wheelin here).

Don't know anythign about JB or Pontiac Sluce. I can't find Pontiac Sluce in my trail books, maybe there is a trail # or other name?

Robert

I am trying to reserve the 9th and 10th to prerun some trails, with a late (noon) start on the 9th to allow for some spring cleaning of the 88 XJ.

My goal is to prerun some of the easier trails on the 9th, to predict the degree of difficulty for a bypass or alternate run, and meet up with whoever already plans to prerun the traditional hard trails sometime on the 10th.

It looks like the harder trail route is well established (GM, JB, HC), so a focus on the alternate route makes sense to me.

The Pontiac Sluice is also known under the Onyx Loop and sometimes Heartbreak Ridge names. The actual sluice is the (usually) dry river bottom next to the bench cut road leading to the Onyx Loop. These are found off a spur from the 3N69Y route between the Juniper Springs end of 2N02 and the Pioneer Town end of 2N02. The advantage of these trails is they seldom retain snow for much more than a day or two after a it falls. Other fun trails off of 2N02 and 3N03 are the Tin Top mountain spur above the Rose Mine and 3N03A that leads down to Horsethief Flat. The challenge (other than the Sluice and Onyx Loop) is usually moderate for these trails, but unknown with the weathering.

The tenth is going to be fun! If we keep moving then we should be able to run GM,JB and HC in 1 day. I am really glad Kejtar and myseld wont be the only ones up there!

ryurabbit said:
I am really glad Kejtar and myseld wont be the only ones up there!
Don't worry Rabbit, I'll make sure to bring with me some extra hard line and clamps to repair you :D (Just kidding)
On a serious note, I can't wait. It's been too long since I wheeled (btw, does 200 yards in snow count as wheeling?) and I got withdrawals.

I am hoping to be able to go, my suspension lift will be here tomorrow, but I don't have any help until April 10th to put it on:( I am lucky enough to have help:) But, if anyone knows how I could get it done sooner, let me know:) I am having Big Bear withdrawls myself!!!!!!!!!

Kejtar said:
Ed, name the spot on the 10th and we'll meet you there :D (how does 9am sound?)

Good.

I can have a hot pot of coffee brewed at the cabin, along with water and a compressor full of air (or maybe save that air for after the runs, along with a few cool one's in the fridge).

328 E. Fairway Bl, Big Bear City, near Paradise, the last road to cross between BB Boulevard and NorthShore Drive east of the airport, only a few minutes from the trailhead for Gold Mountain. Park in the driveway, or the front yard (it's a cabin, not the Ritz).

I might even have crash pad room the night before (PM me, if needed).

Ed A. Stevens said:
Good.

I can have a hot pot of coffee brewed at the cabin, along with water and a compressor full of air (or maybe save that air for after the runs, along with a few cool one's in the fridge).

328 E. Fairway Bl, Big Bear City, near Paradise, the last road to cross between BB Boulevard and NorthShore Drive east of the airport, only a few minutes from the trailhead for Gold Mountain. Park in the driveway, or the front yard (it's a cabin, not the Ritz).

I might even have crash pad room the night before (PM me, if needed).

Wow, that sounds nice after a good day on the trail Ed. Looks like the prerun might be as much fun as the actual event!!!! :laugh3:

Hey gang,

I am looking for some info for the trail maintenence day (Friday). I want to know when, where, time, meeting place, what to expect, and whta tools to bring. I have the day off and soome one to watch my son that Friday and Saturday (Thanks Grandma). I need to know the meeting time for Friday so I will know when to tell her I need to leave OC.

Thanks,

Robert

Meeting for Adopt-A-Trail

Big Bear Ranger Station (just East of the discovery center), 9.00am. Friday. Be there or be square.

If you've got it bring with you lopers, rake, pick, rock bar, or rake. Also you'll want to bring out some gloves (Don't want to rough up the Palmolive hands!).

I'll be heading up there on Thursday night, so no worries about my Jeep making me late again! :repair:

Sequoia

GSequoia said:
Meeting for Adopt-A-Trail

Big Bear Ranger Station (just East of the discovery center), 9.00am. Friday. Be there or be square.

Sequoia

What about camping....where will we be? I don't know the area so I'll need good directions.

Back