• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big Bear Annual Event - IMPORTANT

Please select if you will be caming or hoteling and if you will be at the AAT.

• Total voters
Work is really interfering with this weekend. It looks like the most I will be able to do is drive up for a run on Saturday and then drive home after.

Does anybody know if Hwy 18 is open yet to come up from Lucerne Valley or if I will have to drive all the way around to the San Bernardino side?

desertjeeper said:
Does anybody know if Hwy 18 is open yet to come up from Lucerne Valley or if I will have to drive all the way around to the San Bernardino side?

I sure hope so, that's the way we plan to go. We'll be driving up mid day on Friday.

desertjeeper said:

YES. It has been clear and open for at least the past month and a half.

Safe trip gentlemen!

Tim

Anyone comin from the Oceanside area? I'm not sure of the directions, so it would be nice to have someone to caravan with.

BlackSport96 said:
Anyone comin from the Oceanside area? I'm not sure of the directions, so it would be nice to have someone to caravan with.
Meeting for the trail runs will be in the discovery center at 9am on Sat

BlackSport96 said:

I am not sure of anyone coming up from that area. When are you plannig on driving up? I don't the directions from O'side, but if you are going tomorrow morning, we can meet you at the 15/91 interchange. There is an exit right after you transition onto the 91 East from the 15 North. There are a couple of gas stations there. There are a couple of us coming in from OC and we are meeting at 6:30. We should be at the 15/91 interchange about 15 min later.

PM me and I will give you my cell #.

Robert

rpraterxj said:
I am not sure of anyone coming up from that area. When are you plannig on driving up? I don't the directions from O'side, but if you are going tomorrow morning, we can meet you at the 15/91 interchange. There is an exit right after you transition onto the 91 East from the 15 North. There are a couple of gas stations there. There are a couple of us coming in from OC and we are meeting at 6:30. We should be at the 15/91 interchange about 15 min later.

PM me and I will give you my cell #.

Robert
weren't you going up there today in the morning?

Kejtar said:
weren't you going up there today in the morning?

Was originally, but my mother-in-law got sick. She was going to watch my son all weekend. My wife is going out of town today.

So, now I will be going up tomorrow morning with my son. I will be meeting you and Johnny at 6:30.

See you tomorrow.

RP

I'll be going up tomorrow. About how far up is the interchange from here? 6:30's awfully early...:D I'll see if I can wake up that early...

BlackSport96 said:
I'll be going up tomorrow. About how far up is the interchange from here? 6:30's awfully early...:D I'll see if I can wake up that early...
well if you want to go on a run you have to be at the discovery center by 9am.

xjohnnyc said:
I've also decided to go up Saturday morning in order to avoid the Friday night traffic. Remi and I are meeting at the Green Valley exit at 6:30 am.
Hey johnny,

I am going up right now. I will be stayign at Motel6 due to having my son with me. It is going to be easier for me to go tongiht. I can leave all of our junk in the room tomorrow, instead of it bouncing around in the Jeep.

I will see you guys at the Discovery Center around 8:45.

Robert

I'm going to have to cancel...my brake caliper is unable to retain one of its mounting bolts. Now it makes clunking noises. Me and my wife are going to have to spend some time cleaning out the threads and trying to figure why it keeps spitting out bolts tomorrow. That and we're poor. :D Maybe next one.

Last edited:
CMeTopless818 said:
It was nice meeting those of you that were at the trail cleanup on Friday.

See you on the trails,

CMeTopless818 ('02 Black TJ-Pebbles)

It was nice meeting you as well. You know when somebody not even affiliated with our group comes out to help keep trails open in our name, they have earned my respect. I hope to see you on the trail again anytime!!!

Wish I coulda made it but I need to get me a new spindle from the junk yard. The top bolt hole for my driver's side caliper is stripped so I need to replace that since it keeps spitting out caliper mounting studs... :rattle:Someday, I will have money and my Jeep will be in complete working order (or at least complete enough to be safe) and I will see youg uys on the trail!

Are the threads stripped in the knuckle? Not sure why you need a new spindle if the caliper keeps spitting out the top bolt.

Mine did the same thing. Replacing the knuckle is a pain, I haven't done it yet.

I bought a bolt and nut of the correct size. With needlenose pliers and a lot of cussing, I got the nut in place long enough to get the bolt through the caliper.

There will not be enough space for a washer and you may need to grind the bolt a little shorter to not hit anything on the other side.

Since I will be swapping out my pads soon, i'll get to revisit this whole situation. But I may do the ball joints at the same time.

bburge

bburge said:
Are the threads stripped in the knuckle? Not sure why you need a new spindle if the caliper keeps spitting out the top bolt.

Mine did the same thing. Replacing the knuckle is a pain, I haven't done it yet.

I bought a bolt and nut of the correct size. With needlenose pliers and a lot of cussing, I got the nut in place long enough to get the bolt through the caliper.

There will not be enough space for a washer and you may need to grind the bolt a little shorter to not hit anything on the other side.

Since I will be swapping out my pads soon, i'll get to revisit this whole situation. But I may do the ball joints at the same time.

bburge
Why not drill out the hole and put in helicoil?

Back