• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big Bear Annual Event - IMPORTANT

Please select if you will be caming or hoteling and if you will be at the AAT.

• Total voters
IMORTL said:
If you can, Bring a CamCorder... I edit video and can put together a DVD of the event when its over I will be willing to burn DVDs for everyone who wants one if they pay for the dvd blank... Also your camera, even if it isn't digital, i have a scanner... The more footage the better... Different angles of the Hard sections of the runs.... stuff like that...

Ken

Hey Ken,
I will have my digital camera and CamCorder with me. I will gladly provide soem video for you. I can also provide a few DVD's for you to burn the movie on, once you're done.

BTW, anyone ever use a power converter in their Jeep? I was looking at one I can plug into my lighter and it will allow me to charge my batteries. I should get a days use out of each, but will need to charge the batteries in the evenings.

Thanks,
Robert

I have an 800 Watt inverter mounted in my cargo area, you can check it out up on the mountain (I can't find a picture of it right now). I also have a couple 300 Watt ones that are portable. So the answer your question... Yes! :)

I would get no less than 300 Watts, you can get those pretty cheap and they will work off a cig lighter. If you're really serious get one in the 1000 watt neighborhood (800 is pretty good, but I should've held out for a 1000).

Sequoia

GSequoia said:
I have an 800 Watt inverter mounted in my cargo area, you can check it out up on the mountain (I can't find a picture of it right now). I also have a couple 300 Watt ones that are portable. So the answer your question... Yes! :)

I would get no less than 300 Watts, you can get those pretty cheap and they will work off a cig lighter. If you're really serious get one in the 1000 watt neighborhood (800 is pretty good, but I should've held out for a 1000).

Sequoia

Cool. Thanks!

See you guys next week!

RP

I am planning on sleeping in my XJ. I'm not cooking at all so all I need is a place to park the rig. Is anyone else in my situation and want to share a spot for both nights or has room for an add on. I noticed an extra vehicle fee of $5 and I'd be willing to pay 1/2 of the site.

Let me know

Cracker

cracker said:
I am planning on sleeping in my XJ. I'm not cooking at all so all I need is a place to park the rig. Is anyone else in my situation and want to share a spot for both nights or has room for an add on. I noticed an extra vehicle fee of $5 and I'd be willing to pay 1/2 of the site.

Let me know

Cracker

I take it... Im sleeping in my XJ and i have a buddy that will pitch a single person tent......

I will also have a Propane stove and possibly a heater. a couple of lanterns... Is anyone bringing wood?

rpraterxj said:
Hey Ken,
I will have my digital camera and CamCorder with me. I will gladly provide soem video for you. I can also provide a few DVD's for you to burn the movie on, once you're done.

BTW, anyone ever use a power converter in their Jeep? I was looking at one I can plug into my lighter and it will allow me to charge my batteries. I should get a days use out of each, but will need to charge the batteries in the evenings.

Thanks,
Robert
I didnt think about recharging the batteries... How much is a 300 watt converter for the cig lighter? and where woudl I get one?

IMORTL said:
I didnt think about recharging the batteries... How much is a 300 watt converter for the cig lighter? and where woudl I get one?
Ken you can get em almost anywhere. Costco, Wally World, Pep boys. Depending on wattage $30-$100.

karstic said:
Depending on wattage $30-$100.

One thing to bear in mind with inverters, too, is that it's generally a good idea to go overkill on the wattage rating. The reason for this is that the one thing they're good at doing is generating heat in the conversion process, so virtually all of them have a thermal shutdown built-in.

Just charging camera batteries won't cause any problems for even the smallest ones, but as you start plugging more and more stuff into it you'll generate more heat, thus making it more likely to shut off for half an hour while it cools off. Very annoying. I'm not saying you need to get the biggest one out there, but rather figure out what you're likely to be plugging into it, total up the wattage, and then get an inverter that's one step up from the minimum needed to run everything at once - so if your total wattage is 600W and you've got a choice of a 750W or 1000W unit, go with the 1000W.

casm said:
One thing to bear in mind with inverters, too, is that it's generally a good idea to go overkill on the wattage rating. The reason for this is that the one thing they're good at doing is generating heat in the conversion process, so virtually all of them have a thermal shutdown built-in.

Keep in mind that once you have one and get used to using it on the trials, etc., you'll begin to find more and more uses for it. Funny, but that never seems to happen to me.:dunno:

Remember: There's no such thing as over kill. If you run over and flatten a squirrel, it’s dead. But if you back up and run over it a couple more times,
it’s still only dead.

Tim

Last edited:
Bent said:
Just remember that once you have one and get used to using it on the trials, etc., you'll begin to find more and more uses for it. Funny how that always seems to happen.

Tim
One guy in our group brought an expresso machien to the RUbicon run. The look on people's faces (who were not part of our group) as they ran to figure out if the noise was real was PRICELESS :D

Well I only plan on bringing a 20" tv, my directv dish, DVD player, XBOX, the small microwave, electric razor, electric toothbrush, electric blanket, can opener, pasta maker, waffle grill, and the toaster... that should be what... 200 watts??? :sure:

J/K for now all I want to do is charge my cam corder batts... If i ever do need a bigger one I would like a permanent one with outlets in the rear and under the hood... I have seen a couple set ups I like...

Ken

Re: extra spot at my serrano site

hey all, i will be going up on friday for trail maintainance and have a spot at serrano reserved. unfortunatly i will be leaving sat after dinner but had to reserve for 2 nights so i will have a spot open for saturday night. so if anyone interested in picking up 1/2 the cost we can share and yoyu can have it to yourselves sat. that's the good news, the bad news is it's next to remi and rabbit!!!! :laugh3:
catch me back chan at [email protected] and we can arrange sumfin.
hope to see everyone there!

Hey guys,

I just read a post from Just Runs. Holcomb Creek trail will be busy on Saturday. The Riverside Rough Riders are doing thier trail maintenance that day. Just wanted to throw that out there. I am still interested in running it.

Later,

Robert

Hi Everyone!

I was in Big Bear on Saturday as well, as some of you know, I was 'stuck' (3N02) there for awhile as well! I guess my time was up, my turn to get stuck instead of pulling people out:( Anyway................

As of Saturday there were small patches of snow here and there and with all the melting snow, the trails are pretty beat up. In MANY places there is water run off's across the trails, some very little, some wider, which is fun for someone like me that loves to drive through puddles, but I think I may ease up on the mud however! 3N02, which you take to get to "John Bull", was actually not bad, except for the part that tried to swollow my Jeep whole! The main trail through the North side of the Lake, 3N16 is in GREAT need of maintenance!!!!!! I had torn a lug, mud in the bead and a bent sway bar disconnect after being pulled from the mud, and NO Remi, I was NOT pulled out by H2's, I had to take 3N16 out to Fawnskin on a flat. The trail has MANY mud holes and a lot of damage.

IMHO ;)

Oh, the day was warm, mid 70*s and when the sun went down it got a bit chilly. I use to live in Big Bear Lake, from my experience, this weekend's nights should not be too bad. Unless of course it rains and/or snows;) HA!

Re: extra spot at my serrano site

mikeyl said:
hey all, i will be going up on friday for trail maintainance and have a spot at serrano reserved. unfortunatly i will be leaving sat after dinner but had to reserve for 2 nights so i will have a spot open for saturday night. so if anyone interested in picking up 1/2 the cost we can share and yoyu can have it to yourselves sat. that's the good news, the bad news is it's next to remi and rabbit!!!! :laugh3:
catch me back chan at [email protected] and we can arrange sumfin.
hope to see everyone there!

I love you too!!! :kissyou: you big winer :rattle: I will remember that next time your on fire!!!!hahahahahahahaha :flame:

Bring Clothes to Dress Warm ...

Big Bear Weather Bulletin (4/19/05 9:15am)
It is currently snowing in the Big Bear Valley. Early this morning, the National Weather Service issued a wind advisory, in effect for local mountains and deserts until 9pm tonight. A strong jet stream over California, combined with strong onshore pressure, will result in strong northwest winds in the San Bernardino Mountains today, making driving difficult for motorists with high-profile vehicles. For details, tune into 93.3FM for KBHR's weather report, or click on "Big Bear Weather."

KBHR NEWS

Back