• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big Bear Annual Event - IMPORTANT

Please select if you will be caming or hoteling and if you will be at the AAT.

• Total voters
I took the caliper completely off and screwed the bolt directly into where it would go after passing through the caliper and was able to pull it right back out. I tried to use some teflon tape and threadlok and the next day I pulled it right back out again...I've tried with the original bolt (from the bottom since the top one is somewhere on the road) and a new one and got the same results. So I've only got one bolt holding my caliper on.

A helicoil will work in that situation I'm sure. All you do is drill the hole out a little larger, tap it larger, then there is this spring looking guy that threads in and makes the threads the correct size.

Changing knuckles is a bit of a process, not gererally too bad unless your ball joints stick (as one of mine did).

All you have do is this:
Remove wheel.
Remove brakes.
Remove axle nut.
Remove unit bearing.
Remove axle shaft.
Remove cotter pins and nuts from ball joints.
Knock knuckle off with hammer.

BlackSport96 said:
helicoil?

Take the caliper bolt into a good hardware store, find out the tread size and pitch there. Then ask one of the staff where you can find Helicoils - if they give you a blank stare tell them it is for thread repair.

I would suggest getting a kit - that will come with the helicoils themselves (as I said prior - they look like springs), the install tool (plastic T Handle thing), a tap, and possibly a drill bit for that tap (I forget).

Using a helicoil is easy (Even I can do it!). I would give that a try before changing the knuckle.

Sequoia

Why didn't I helicoil?

'Cause I was able to get a replacement knuckle from a very nice person on the list for a lot less than the helicoil kit (that I probably only use once - and it's only good for one size bolt/thread).

And because my solution was a good short(?) term fix. (It's been on there for like a year! :laugh3: ) It cost me about 50 cents and some patience...

bburge

BlackSport96 said:
I took the caliper completely off and screwed the bolt directly into where it would go after passing through the caliper and was able to pull it right back out. I tried to use some teflon tape and threadlok and the next day I pulled it right back out again...I've tried with the original bolt (from the bottom since the top one is somewhere on the road) and a new one and got the same results. So I've only got one bolt holding my caliper on.

Funny...my 99 XJ had the exact same problem, so I sold it to my mom. :wierd:

haha but first I did helicoil it. Running a helicoil in is easier to do, but I think for an optimal fix it would be better to replace it.

Back