• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2008 XJ 25th Anniv. Event Trails

Tom R. said:
You may want to consider adding Gold Bar Rim or a similarly rated (4 or 5) trail to Friday's run. If I remember correctly, GBR itself isn't very long and will bridge the gap between the trails currently offered.

GBR is being run on Sat, Metal Masher will fill in nicely on Friday.

XJEEPER said:
GBR is being run on Sat, Metal Masher will fill in nicely on Friday.
On Saturday, GBR is run in conjunction with Golden Spike, making it a 7-rated trail. But I suspect you knew that already. ;)

GBR, by itself, is rated 5 and would fit nicely in the Friday schedule. Or some other trail that's rated 4 or 5. The point is to bridge the rating gap on the Friday schedule so there's more variety.

Isn't MM a fairly long trail? Any concerns with folks returning in time to make the Friday night dinner?

Tom R. said:
On Saturday, GBR is run in conjunction with Golden Spike, making it a 7-rated trail. But I suspect you knew that already. ;)

GBR, by itself, is rated 5 and would fit nicely in the Friday schedule. Or some other trail that's rated 4 or 5. The point is to bridge the rating gap on the Friday schedule so there's more variety.

Isn't MM a fairly long trail? Any concerns with folks returning in time to make the Friday night dinner?

All Friday's runs should be gay (1's or 2's) That way I don't miss anything (I'm thinking I'll be cooking most of Friday!)

Tom R. said:

How about this for gap bridging........run Gold Bar on Friday and Metal Masher on Saturday?

I have a couple of late questions.

1. If a group wanted to take off and run a trail that was not on the schedule would BLM still want $5...not trying to be cheap, I'll pay...just curious. I was thinking of looping up over La Sal Pass and Geyser Pass one of the days and who knows who may want to join me.

2. Alex, the Saturday Shaffer/Lathrop/Long Canyon run, will you be entering from Potash Road and going up Shaffer? sounds like a nice trip have wanted to run Lathrop for a while now, but conflicts with other plans.

3. Looks like I'll probably need to stay through Saturday to run Elephant Hill.

I'll be honest, I'm not comfortable volunteering to be a trail leader, although I was by default to Top of the World a few years ago (me and three other XJs) I don't drive well enough and have not been to Moab enough. Please don't take this as a complaint, not meant to be.

Tom

1) It's public land... your land. You can drive it by yourself for free. Buuut NAXJA-sponsored runs have to pay.

2) Yes! It will be a long day, about 100 miles worth of driving.

3) If you can lead Top of the World you certainly can find your way through Elephant Hill on your own. :thumbup: Pick a day that works better. Take Charles Wells' book along. GPS tracks can be found here:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=949210

OK, folks. Here's the latest revision of the trail schedule. Note that we still need 3 leaders, as we've had some fallout. Please PM me ASAP, if you can fill the open Leader slots.

We are prepared to add trails each day, should the ones on the schedule completely fill up. We have extra leaders, including myself that are intentionally uncommited to any specific trail, that can lead additional trails if needed, but will be engaged in other event duties as well, so I'd like to use them as a last resort.

Departure times have been changed to allow time to collect late comers each day who will need to register and get thru Tech in the morning before the run. Trial Leaders, look for a PM with a Staging area map, details on expectations and the basic NAXJA event guidelines that the group will need to adhere to.

Thanks to all, this is gonna be a great event!!

Attachments

• NAXJA 2008 25th Anniv. Event Trail Runs r6.pdf
    14.4 KB · Views: 53
So how do I sign up for a trail? Or does that happen when I get to Moab?

On Friday, how short is Klondike Bluffs? I'm heading out Friday and need to meet a plane in Vegas that evening, don't want to be late.

It's 460 miles to Vegas from Moab. You won't have time. :D

I kinda figured, but can you blame me for wanting to get one more run in :D

Who's going to handle sign ups for trails, where is he camped and when will he start taking sign ups?

Who's going to handle sign ups for trails, where is he camped and when will he start taking sign ups?

Trail sign ups will be available when you register. Look up at the top of this forum, there is a thread titled "What to do when you get to Moab". :)

Back