• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

too much jeep stuff in college appartment

oh, i forgot to take a pic... so here it is. the d-ring mounts drilled and cut. i used a HUGE band saw. only took like 3 mins to cut the plate. and i used an even bigger lathe to hog out the hole in the rod that i'll be cutting to length for an inner steering box brace... i think the lathe was 10' long...

0217091447.jpg

oh yeah? awesome! LOL to be entirely honest I wasn't sure if i wanted to sell em but I felt bad knowing you needed them and I certainly won't be using them for quite awhile hahaha. But really. If it doesn't work out with RC lmk and you can still have em... cause i'm a nice guy :yelclap:

so when would they ship by? or show up or whatever? before saturday i'm guessing?

ships today, i'll have them by friday. 50 bucks to my door... and thanks dude.

you should mill the angled edges of the d ring mounts so it looks pretty and has a nice machined surface

you should grind the angled edges of the d ring mounts so it looks pretty and has a nice machined surface

ficksed. didn't have time to mill them. i plan on grinding it to be prettier. plus, it's just a big hunk of steel. i'm not really worried... i think it will look cool either way. i didn't bother cleaning the crap off or taking too much time to make them pretty because not only did i know i was going to have to clean them up later, but i'm going to be welding them to stuff, and that's going to make them ugly in itself... don't worry, when i'm done fabbing the bumper, there will be pics...

sharp is key...how else do you do trail cuts? ;)

nice timing lol

so here are some pics of my progress last weekend. i got both sides welded in and forgot to take a picture. but that's ok. i'm going to grind most of those welds down and re do them...

0221091745.jpg

0221091745a.jpg

0221091748.jpg

fun night at anthony's place, made some good progress on the bumper and had AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME pulled pork anthony's mom is the BEST pulled pork maker in the land. Thanks again for the food :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :D ... sorry this first one is a little dark, camera phone and it was lateeee :)

d ring mounts with 3lbs of weld :thumbup:

0228092248.jpg

bye bye old brackets

downsized_0228092106b.jpg

hello JCR brackets :)

0228092202b.jpg

downsized_0228092207.jpg

downsized_0228092202.jpg

0228092217.jpg

0228092208.jpg

0228092246.jpg

He kept going after my friend Jared and I left at around 11pm ish, did some more welding on the mounts, added a couple small reinforcement plates, etc...when we left it was going quite well :)

Glad to be able to come hang out/help out for a few hours tonight buddy, hope it's all finished up!!

Mr. Anthony Just sent me a picture message, figured I'd upload itfor him. not too shabby...

0301091249.jpg

Well, I can see some improvement in the welds between the d-ring mounts and the new mounting plates. That being said the welds on the d-ring tabs don't look very good. Of course that's going off of the dark cell phone pics...

The mounting plates bring up a different issue. No matter how strong the rest of the bumper is, you just created a weak point. By cutting them off straight and just butt welding in the new ones, those joints are weaker than the rest of the mounting plates. This is from both the joint itself, and the heating (and stiffening) of the material. Knowing where that one forward mounting bolt is to the frame rail, that leaves the new joint at a somewhat flexible area. Any angled pulls from straps or the winch, bumps to the corners of the bumper, etc will be putting stress on the mounts in a side to side direction, essentially trying to fold the mounts. That weakened area will speed up any chance of it folding/tearing. I'd look at adding some reinforcement down the side of the plates and if possible adding gussets to the outsides.

For the welding itself, best suggestion I can give you is to look into welding courses. They should go over quite a few things that will help, like equipment setup and usage, material prep, proper techniques, what to look for in a weld, etc. Besides that it comes down to experience. Take any chance you can to practice.

well, i can't for sure say that all of my welds are awesome, because i know some came out not quite as good as others. but i will say that under good light they look a lot better than the dark cell phone picture. from what i can tell, i wasn't doing anything differently between the time i did the d-ring tabs to the time i did the braces. but... we'll see when they get pulled on.

i plated the side a little bit, but i'm not 100% satisfied yet. i know my work is not done. i did add the c4x4 inner braces though, which tie into the front crossmember, to help side-pulls. i might devise a bolt-on scheme that ties the 2 tow hook bolts that are on the bumper into the front few bolts of the bumper mounts. just some 1/4" or 3/16" plate to sit flat against it with some big bolts through.

yeah i really want to take a class, but i already have a lack of time, so it's not super high on the priority list.

travis's buddy came to my house too and he's a frequent welder/fabricatior of various jeep parts. not that i know or any of us specifically know his exact qualifications, but he said the welds looked at the least to be "good enough"

thanks for the thoughts rob.

now, to upload my pics...

I'll tell ya one thing about the photo's, they're perfectly up to par for myspace. Although it would be even better if you took them in a bathroom... :D

Knowing that you're not done with it and it needs more work is half the battle. I had a "professional" that does body, frame, race car, etc fabrication do some welding for me a while back. He insisted his welds were perfect and would never fail. I've ended up having to redo or fix everything he's done to both my rig, my fathers, and a couple of our friends. One of the winch bumpers he welded up for my dad, I actually grabbed the 1/4" plate tabs he had used for the frame mounts and bent it by hand... It was actually thanks to him that I ended up buying my own welder.

As for the welds being different between the two spots (if they are), one factor could be the amount of steel in the d-ring tab, tube, etc. It will draw heat away from the weld, causing a cooler weld (less penetration), so if you used the same settings, speed, etc it will result in a different weld.

hmm. i did in fact use the same settings. the heat was cranked all the way up and the wire speed was adjusted accordingly

I'll tell ya one thing about the photo's, they're perfectly up to par for myspace. Although it would be even better if you took them in a bathroom... :D

psh fine. next time i won't document with what I have available to me to use... :twak:

;) Good points you make there, Rob. We talked about how just butt-welding wouldn't be enough to get it up to the strength it needs to be, and tossed around multiple ideas on how to strengthen it more. Play dough seems to be the winner as of right now, but more research has yet to be done. :conceited:helpme:

:laugh3:

so... picture dump time.

1st attempt at welds... i knew this was bad so..yeah 'nuff said.
0228091525.jpg

all clean again.
0228091525a.jpg

i'd say this is representative of most of my welds... FWIW. a few spots that could be better but overall not terrible (i think, someone tell me otherwise)
0228091614.jpg

crappy plating... going to take it off i think... i have a bolt-on idea.
0301091250.jpg

winch :D
0301091621.jpg

0301091700.jpg

one of the tops at night after paint (with a flashlight shining on it)... how bad is it?

0301092044.jpg

Back