• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Guess what!? 2007 is coming fast! Check this out please!

Re: Is everybody ready ? I am ready.

Slonopotam said:
Seriously, who knows how they managed to attach the skis ?
U bolts forward of the axle, at least thats what it looks like.

Ok.. we have had one person back out. Which wont change hardly anything but more room in the cabin. I will not be asking him to pay a portion because we already have more than enough to cover. The trip is looking like it should be popular. We have a boat load of people! We MIGHT have to consider running 2 groups depending on rig numbers and abilities. A second trail option is to drive DOWN Rock Creek Rd and head into Blue Canyon. This is usually much harder in deep snow and can be a PIA fun time. If we get as many rigs as it sounds like... this very well could be an option.

Anyone opposed?

Whats the current count on rigs? just curious

Scrappy said:
We MIGHT ... running 2 groups ... option is to drive DOWN ... much harder ...

I do not remember us getting anywhere close to the top of Bald in the deep snow. So why harder trail ? Could we try harder to get farther on Bald ?

I am not objecting, I am just curious.

Andrey

Slonopotam said:
I do not remember us getting anywhere close to the top of Bald in the deep snow. So why harder trail ? Could we try harder to get farther on Bald ?

I am not objecting, I am just curious.

Andrey

It looks like there won't be as much snow this year due to RAIN! What fair amount of snow is there, will be very different than usual. It "should" be very fun because the chance of completing the whole trail is high. Our other option is to run Bald in both directions. Meet half way at the tower for lunch or whatever.

alright, plan on me being there. don't know if i'll come down friday or saturday. But it sounds like fun. I just gotta get a u-joint in the front outer axle.

And do you guys recommend getting chains or the cables. i have a hook up on some cheap cables and wanted to know what you guys with more snow experience recommend...

oo7ravisXJ said:
Whats the current count on rigs? just curious
Travis, this is just off the top of my head.

around 12 NAXJA rigs at the cabin
5 to 7 coming for the day with NAXJA
5 rigs coming with Capt. Nemo from his Cross Country 4x4 club
about 5 rigs from my local 4x4Him club
3 or so from our BayArea friends

I am expecting around 20 to 25. Who knows how many will show. It looks like I could very well be riding with someone this trip. I still have not finished the jeep, hopefully tonight.

Chains vrs Cables... I have no idea. Never used them before.

I have a set of chains for 31's. Turns out I'm not going to be able to make this one, so if someone wants to borrow them just lemme know. I'm in Willow Glen.

--mike

IllustratedXJ said:
I have a set of chains for 31's. Turns out I'm not going to be able to make this one, so if someone wants to borrow them just lemme know. I'm in Willow Glen.

--mike

Mike what happened? That sucks you can't make it!

On another note spent 4 hours in a very cold Saturday night and 4 more on Sunday under my Junk, but I think I am ready for this run. Might put a few more hours under it this week, just final checking but I am good to go.

Scrappy get under your junk and get it going!

What are you guys doing that takes so much time, what is it that i should be doin to prepare for this run besides the obvious checkin of the oil level, coolent, etc.

oo7ravisXJ said:
What are you guys doing that takes so much time, what is it that i should be doin to prepare for this run besides the obvious checkin of the oil level, coolent, etc.

Reading the 2000th thread, obviously.

oo7ravisXJ said:
I was swaping in a new front track bar and stearing stablizer, the new RE1612 has a bigger bolt, so you have to drill out the axle and drop down bracket. What I thought was going to be a 2-3 hour job turned into a big PITA, but it fixed a few issues that I had with my junk after that last run in JV.
For most runs I will go over all bolts to the suspention, look for cracks on mounts — frame side and axle side. Greese all parts that need it, look over the stearing, and track bars, then check the beadlock bolts.

Last edited:
Most of my stuff is still recovery from JV. New motor and tranny mounts, cross member, Novak shifter, shocks and making sure everything is tight. And a new blinging roof rack courtesy of the farmboys, and a cb. Grease and more grease. Just odds and ends, for this run.

Channel 13 right?

Matt,

How about an address for the cabin? Hate to go knocking on peoples doors. :)

Letterman said:
Mike what happened? That sucks you can't make it!
Yeah, I'm bummed.

It's my own fault, I'm a dumb ass. I ruptured a disk in my lower back pretty severely about 14-15 months ago. And then, a week ago I'm out hiking in the Santa Cruz mountains with some buddies and decided it would be a good idea to finish the last couple of miles along Skyline by racing back to the car ...after a 4.5 hours on the trail ...on pavement ...in hiking boots ...with a day pack on ...pretty much sprinting the last 100 yards or so. :twak:
It was fun but really stupid and I spent most of last week with my lower back killing me popping anti-inflamatories like candy. Unfortunately, sitting in a car seat for extended periods of time aggravates the injury so I'm going to pretend to be a little smarter, and not push things until I can get in to see my doc again.

What takes so much time? Hmm... whole new front axle, suspension, steering, mounts, front tube work, and front drive shaft. Still not done! argh...

BTW, those that are staying in the cabin I NEED you to PM ASAP so I can send you the address for the cabin. Also so I have a complete roster for head count.

We need to discuss food situation... lets plan that this week since ITS THIS WEEKEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DONT FORGET CHAINS AND TOW HOOKS!!!!

I plan on being there early afternoon on Friday, and playing around in Blue Canyon for a bit.

You guys want to keep the food thing easy? Pizza one night, and maybe some chili or something simple on the other. And take care of your own lunch and what not?

Looking back over the thread, I think it is a good idea to split up the group. With this many people, the back end of the group will be having issues, after the lead vehichles ices over the trail. Unless there isnt that much snow on.

It is going to be freezing cold this weekend (high of 35 degrees and low of 8 degrees). There is an Artic front moving in, so bring a lot of warm wooly clothes. Those of you who are planning on just coming up for the day, don't forget to bring sleeping bags and bedding just in case you have to crash up there, it sucks being stuck with insufficient bedding. And extra socks and a lot of snacks to supplement energy loss.

ok well Phil and I will be taking care of the cabin people for saturday breakfast. Its breakfast burritos done SC style. Other food we are going to leave to each individual. The cabin is fully furnished, but wash what you use.

I have recieved pms from the following people for cabin address
BenH
Letterman
Phil/Opie
SharkMark

We have had a total of 2 back out of the trip due to unforseen circumstances. This has put us at 12 overnighters. If you are not on my list but had said you would be staying.. let me know ASAP.

And Ben is correct. ITS GOING TO BE COOOOOLLLLDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like a traffic jam in the middle of the forest.
Cold and rain ... how high are we going, the space ?

Back