• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cage construction

Final install on the tank and radiator including brackets and stainless hardware.
photobucket-4482-1318809945993.jpg

Now I hadto deal with this mess.

photobucket-1393-1318810070605.jpg

I really wanted to keep the arms tucked up and out of the way. Although its not how the KOH guys are doing it, this isn't a KOH car.
So this is the solution.

2011-10-16_17-05-01_104.jpg

I have not decided if I'm going to weld it in or use hardward *(hence the tabs.) I'll think about it over a few Sierra Nevada Stouts.
After the side panels are installed I'll have a better idea of the comfort level of the passenger side. Bonnie has shown interest in going crawling, so it will need to work for her (the rest of you bitches can just suffer!)
:D

Last edited:
I put the seat in and checked it out. There is plenty of leg room, but with one foot over the cover and one on the right it might not be comfortable.
I'll probably build something to have both your feet sitting equal with each other. I'll figure that out after I get the expanded sheet metal done in the wells.

Looks very nice Rick. Do you think you'll have airflow problems with the radiator mounted low?

I have no idea, but most of the rear mounted rads I've seen pictures of are mounted up higher.

Looks very nice Rick. Do you think you'll have airflow problems with the radiator mounted low?

I have no idea, but most of the rear mounted rads I've seen pictures of are mounted up higher.

I want to give the lower mounting a try. Keep the center of gravity as low as I can. We could go into a discussion about air flow at low/high speed but I think it should work well. If it doesn't work, mounting up higher would be easy.
If nothing else, it will work when I'm crawling, and afterall, it is a crawler and not a KOH car.

Last edited:
photobucket-5178-1319410541892.jpg

photobucket-6354-1319410572254.jpg

photobucket-6306-1319410598834.jpg

I know...but it never looks like I'm making any progress. But we did manage to change out all the wheel studs (much bigger project than anyone would have guessed.) We also buttoned up the front axle assembly, finished the cross member (added a bit more protection for the transfer case) and changed out a bunch of hardware to grade 8 stuff.
I'm not going to post any pictures until it LOOKS like I've made progress!

Rick I really wanted to try to come out and give you a hand, but I had to repipe my house this weekend with my dad. He drove out from Texas to help me so this weekend was crap for me.

Lookin' good, Rick.

Finally......

:D

2011-10-26_19-23-55_984.jpg

Working in the garage, jammin' to some Steel Pulse (Jam a Psalm Today) then realized......I hadn't welded in the outside seat belt mounts. The boatsides and the seats need to come back out.
Oh well.....I'll jam on it in the morning.

I forget what shocks u have up front. Are they sway away? What size?
I guess I could go back and read all the posts but...
Anyway, roughly how much lift will u have when complete?
By lift I mean from the floor to the bottom of the trans crossmember.
Ultimately I want to know how big your shock hoops are from where they are welded to the frame to the top. Guess I could have saved some typing.
I am working on a similar set up and like steeling other peoples ideas.
I guess it's a good form of a compliment.
Thanx for the info,
Stukboy

Shocks are 2.5" SAW front and rear.
Ground clearance will probably change from day to day. It all depends on
what pressure I run in the shocks. Since I have yet to run it I don't know
for sure what it will be. I'll be working on that soon though.
Shock hoops sit just below hood level.

I forget what shocks u have up front. Are they sway away? What size?
I guess I could go back and read all the posts but...
Anyway, roughly how much lift will u have when complete?
By lift I mean from the floor to the bottom of the trans crossmember.
Ultimately I want to know how big your shock hoops are from where they are welded to the frame to the top. Guess I could have saved some typing.
I am working on a similar set up and like steeling other peoples ideas.
I guess it's a good form of a compliment.
Thanx for the info,
Stukboy

You guess a lot. You probably shouldn't be fabricating.

Back