• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cage construction

Dang it! ANOTHER rule around here I didn't know about...
UMMMMM Einstein, i was refering to the GLARE SHIELD, not the dash, the dash will blind you too but the glare shield will during the middle of the day when the dash wont

That Jeep sucks........

......because its not at my house! :D

Two hours building expanded sheet metal wheel wells only to find out they won't clear at full stuff. Back to the cutting wheel.

Rick, now I know you're a GC and therefore are used to making it to where things don't fit so you can make a killing on change orders but you shouldn't bring that to your own jobs as well.

I supose it could be a problem....if I stand on my seat while driving.
I set the angle while seated. It should be good.
you think the sun will only be directly over head and your rig fully level while you are driving so the glare will not get to you?????? if you do then you are an idiot.... but hey, you arent building a bugg, right???

you think the sun will only be directly over head and your rig fully level while you are driving so the glare will not get to you?????? if you do then you are an idiot.... but hey, you arent building a bugg, right???

Think about the angle.....now come up with a senario that has the top of the gauge shade facing me.
This could happen.....if I get out of my seat restraints and move my head over it.
If it does become a problem it could be solved just as you suggested, some paint.
But...if we do some basic math here, light can not change its angle of reflection. That is to say, light traveling at
a 45* angle will reflect at that same angle. The gauge shade sits at about a 5* angle with the horizon. My head, located
about three feet behind it and about a foot above it might get a reflection from an early morning sun rise or an evening sun set.
That shouldn't be much of a problem (I hope.)
But really, aluminum dashes are common (I use them on both my sand cars) and glare from them has never been an issue.
Maybe you're over thinking this one...

Last edited:
Think about the angle.....now come up with a senario that has the top of the gauge shade facing me.
This could happen.....if I get out of my seat restraints and move my head over it.
If it does become a problem it could be solved just as you suggested, some paint.
But...if we do some basic math here, light can not change its angle of reflection. That is to say, light traveling at
a 45* angle will reflect at that same angle. The gauge shade sits at about a 5* angle with the horizon. My head, located
about three feet behind it and about a foot above it might get a reflection from an early morning sun rise or an evening sun set.
That shouldn't be much of a problem (I hope.)
But really, aluminum dashes are common (I use them on both my sand cars) and glare from them has never been an issue.
Maybe you're over thinking this one...
ok, you could be fully right, my thinking is you are climbing a hill at about a 45* angle and the sun is 10* effectivly shining in your eyes, i say this whole thing because my dash does the same to me but at times when you would have never guessed, when i am driving away from the sun and the light comes in the side at the right angle..... just trying to be of help

ok, you could be fully right, my thinking is you are climbing a hill at about a 45* angle and the sun is 10* effectivly shining in your eyes, i say this whole thing because my dash does the same to me but at times when you would have never guessed, when i am driving away from the sun and the light comes in the side at the right angle..... just trying to be of help

Stop making sense Troy! :twak:

Whatever man, quit being a pain in the ass. It's not going to be a problem.

When's the last time Rick drove his Jeep?

photobucket-3602-1316900510855.jpg

Lousy picture of a great product. Tripple fan system from Max. DirtBound Offroad. Clean.

2011-10-08_13-37-29_164.jpg

Now its all about getting rid of all (okay, most of...) the extra wire.
Located the computer in the well that used to house the wiper motor.
I also had a slick box I made for a half sized Optima, but when the new battery showed up, it was a full sized. Went ahead and did some more cutting and fabbing in order to use it. Since the firewall is no longer structural I just went ahead and cut out more of it. Even mounting the fuse box became a project.
I might be able to finish the wire work this weekend.
photobucket-4085-1318106811430.jpg

Back