• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just Another Full Width Build

saybye

NAXJA Forum User
i went and picked these up yesterday... a full width ford 9" and dana 44. got the 9" bolted in this morning, gonna save the 44 for another day... gonna either make some long arms and run my old uppers or do a custom 3 link, havent really decided yet. plan to eventually 4 link the rear but my jeeps been out for almost 5 months now and im soooo ready to ride so for now im gonna stick with the leafs.

heres the 9, still waiting on some different ubolt plates, the ones i had wont work so thats all im waiting on for it...
P5090001.jpg

heres the dana 44 laying under the front of the jeep
P5090002.jpg

and another...
P5090003.jpg

axles are geared 5.13's. full detroit in the front and spoil in the rear. and a mixture of alloy usa and yukon chromo shafts.

sweet find.... id just bolt that 44 up with whatever youve got there and piece together a three link.... im going to have less then the cost of a rockkrawler kit in my three link and i bought frame stiffeners coild and shocks and all the axle brackets to bracket the front 44

sweet find.... id just bolt that 44 up with whatever youve got there and piece together a three link.... im going to have less then the cost of a rockkrawler kit in my three link and i bought frame stiffeners coild and shocks and all the axle brackets to bracket the front 44

yeah ive got all my heims, bushing, and brackets. i thought about just coming off the factory lower bracket on the unibody with a link, then making my lower links and running them to the unibody. ive had several friends do theirs like this and it works suprisingly well...

i need opinions... ok before i tore in this project my jeep had rusty's 6.5" coil's in the front. to be honest i was too impressed with them after having rubicon express and bds coils in the past... in my opinion my jeep always sat a little high in the front. i want a low center of gravity this time around... so should i stick with some 6.5" springs but get some that have a lower spring rate, or should i go with 5.5" coil springs? heres how my jeep sat before i tore it all down...
n38410137_35147484_950.jpg

n38410137_35159083_9483.jpg

im not running more than a 5.5 spring on anything... before the old jeep got rebuilt i was running those tires on 4.5 inch coils with no spacer... i really really likesd the stance it had and it was pretty stable even at stock width...IMO the rustys 4.5 inch coil is an excellent coil... its got a great soft spring rate and it has the longest unloaded length (22") of any 4.5 inch coil on the market allowing the rig to be setup with more downtravel before it unseats from the bumpstop

P1000149-1.jpg

P1000150.jpg

damn that jeep used to be nice....

Last edited:
im not running more than a 5.5 spring on anything... before the old jeep got rebuilt i was running those tires on 4.5 inch coils with no spacer... i really really likesd the stance it had and it was pretty stable even at stock width...IMO the rustys 4.5 inch coil is an excellent coil... its got a great soft spring rate and it has the longest unloaded length (22") of any 4.5 inch coil on the market allowing the rig to be setup with more downtravel before it unseats from the bumpstop

P1000149-1.jpg

P1000150.jpg

hahaha that was a damn good looking jeep! any idea where a man could find the unload length's on coil's? would i just have to call rubicon or whoever i decide to use and ask them or is there somewhere on the net that has them listed?

i think im prolly gonna go with some 5.5 tj springs this time around...

IMO the rustys 4.5 inch coil is an excellent coil... its got a great soft spring rate and it has the longest unloaded length (22") of any 4.5 inch coil on the market allowing the rig to be setup with more downtravel.

here's my Rusty's 4.5... at 22" unloaded :cool:

l_92b13466d8324de7b88a68d6809f0de8.jpg

R.I.P.
:angel:

heck yeah man! looks good...

i need to take a look at how you did the rear conversion/chop...
i'm good friends with jarrad btw.

got the rear four link pretty much finished up last night. i moved the rear axle back about 3 inches. still have to make my upper spring mounts that go on the unibody and extend the rear driveshaft. but for the most part its done for now...

rig2.jpg

rig3.jpg

rig4.jpg

Back