• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another overland/crawler build

Yep. It's definitely a leaf spring axle. No wedges to worry about.

I'm looking at shock hoops vs sheet metal shock towers now. Is one inherently stronger that the other? I figure I will probably need them sooner or later. I've found good info on both, but no conclusive comparison. I just want to make sure I do it right the first time, since it's hard to go back from cutting the wheel wells out.

I've researched myself crazy on the front suspension. I know I will want long arms and probably air shocks or ORIs(probably determined by what isn't backordered 12 mos). But the 3-link vs 4-link debate has me confused. I'm willing to do either one, I just don't know if one is better suited to my needs than the other. Or if one is better suited to the XJ unibody chassis design.

Yep. It's definitely a leaf spring axle. No wedges to worry about.

Nice that you got a 250 Dana 44 with leaf spring perches instead of the wedges. I guess I should've assumed it was 8 lug from a 3/4 ton because it is paired with a 60 rear. I still personally feel like a full width 3/4 ton Dana 44 is too wide and heavier than it could be, but you'll be just fine with that. You're going to want to pick up some chromoly shafts. The biggest downside of the 44 is you're limited to a 5-760x sized u-joint, so you'll need to do all you can to support that. RCV's are the best option, but big money. You can also get chromoly u-joints to pair with chromoly shafts, but also big money. Many people have success with just chromoly shafts and OEM Spicer u-joints.

I'm not very knowledge about the Dana 60 rears, but I know they can be hit or miss about the specific combination of parts. You may want to look into it a bit to find out exactly what you have and if its worth running.

I'm looking at shock hoops vs sheet metal shock towers now. Is one inherently stronger that the other? I figure I will probably need them sooner or later. I've found good info on both, but no conclusive comparison. I just want to make sure I do it right the first time, since it's hard to go back from cutting the wheel wells out.

The most common setup I've seen is hoops in the front, towers in the rear. Boostwerks Engineering makes a rear shock tower kit, and its common to use 80's F250 shock towers to graft in. Do a search and you'll find many examples of how people have set things up. I'm actually just getting ready to start doing rear towers on mine.

The front can be a bit trickier.

I've researched myself crazy on the front suspension. I know I will want long arms and probably air shocks or ORIs(probably determined by what isn't backordered 12 mos). But the 3-link vs 4-link debate has me confused. I'm willing to do either one, I just don't know if one is better suited to my needs than the other. Or if one is better suited to the XJ unibody chassis design.

In my opinion, 3 link is better suited for a solid axle that needs to flex significantly. A 4 link with a panhard bar is inherently over constrained and relies on bushing compliance to accommodate the misalignment as the axle flexes. 3 link solves that problem. I see no reason not to go 3 link.

If you're going to coilovers, airshocks, or ORI's, you'll need some serious hoops up front; i.e. tied into the unibody very well and braced across the engine bay and hopefully into a cage as well. Its one thing to put the force of a damper into a hoop/tower, its another to put the spring force into it as well.

The best way you can go about setting up your suspension will be to mock up your axles and tires under the Jeep where you want them with tires at full bump, then flex your suspension fully to check clearance everywhere. Cut away anything that is interfering until you're happy with the range of travel you're getting. Then, measure for your bump stop heights, shock lengths, driveshaft lengths, brake line lengths, axle vent tube lengths, and limit strap lengths (if you want to use them). With your shock travel lengths you can use the compressed length of the shock to measure up from your axle (at full bump) to find where your upper shock mounts need to be, then build them to be there.

Last edited:
Really the debate on 3 vs 4 link comes down to what you can fit IMHO. Both systems work well. 3 link should be design allow more give in the area of flex but 4 link should provide better on road manners.

Are you going to dovenose it and go with a full cage? Typically when going to route of shocks towers/hoops it's part of the cage design.

I'm not planning on dovenose, at least not yet, but a cage is probably in the future, but I'm leaning towards an exo-cage. I don't want to give up any more cargo room than I need to.

I daily my Jeep with a 4.0/AW4 combo, 3 link front, 4 link rear, 05+ SD axles and 40’s with beadlocks, 5.38’s. I’ve been driving it this way for years. I’ve driven it to Kentucky multiple times to wheel, North Carolina, Georgia and will be driving it to Moab in June. It’s no speed demon by any means, but I drive the interstate everyday and it does much better than I originally expected. I ran 37’s for a while and hated it. They were just too small for a 60/10.5 combo imo. I felt like I was dragging on everything. The 40’s are just about perfect and I’ll be shaving both axles before too long.

I daily my Jeep with a 4.0/AW4 combo, 3 link front, 4 link rear, 05+ SD axles and 40’s with beadlocks, 5.38’s. I’ve been driving it this way for years. I’ve driven it to Kentucky multiple times to wheel, North Carolina, Georgia and will be driving it to Moab in June. It’s no speed demon by any means, but I drive the interstate everyday and it does much better than I originally expected. I ran 37’s for a while and hated it. They were just too small for a 60/10.5 combo imo. I felt like I was dragging on everything. The 40’s are just about perfect and I’ll be shaving both axles before too long.
Gearing wise, how did the 5.38s and 37s do?

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

Gearing wise, how did the 5.38s and 37s do?

About the same. Granted, the 37’s I was running were heavy to be a 37 (37x13.50x17 Toyo Open Country) They weighed 2 pounds more than my 40’s I have now. I turn probably 2500-3000rpms less with the 40’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About the same. Granted, the 37’s I was running were heavy to be a 37 (37x13.50x17 Toyo Open Country) They weighed 2 pounds more than my 40’s I have now. I turn probably 2500-3000rpms less with the 40’s.

I just realized who you are (not trying to be creepy) lol I still haven't been to windrock since we pm'd

I just realized who you are (not trying to be creepy) lol I still haven't been to windrock since we pm'd

Dang lol. Give me a shout when you wanna go!

Thanks for the info guys.

I'm looking at my D44 and trying to figure out exactly what truss I need. The guy told me it was a 78 or 79, but he wasn't positive. The numbers on the axle tube are completely gone, not even a trace of them. They are 8 lug, with manual locking hubs, disc brakes, dual piston calipers, supposedly out of an F-250. Can anyone confirm the year?

I'm looking at my D44 and trying to figure out exactly what truss I need. The guy told me it was a 78 or 79, but he wasn't positive. The numbers on the axle tube are completely gone, not even a trace of them. They are 8 lug, with manual locking hubs, disc brakes, dual piston calipers, supposedly out of an F-250. Can anyone confirm the year?

All of those housings should be the same. Specific year won't really matter.

Not a ton of options for trusses. Off the top of my head I can think of TnT, Next Venture, and I think Barnes does a basic one.

I wish Artec would make one. They told me they've had customers use their front 9" truss and made it work.

Yes, those were the only years that the Dana 44 came in a HP version and internal locking hubs, if that’s what you have. I put a TNT truss on mine.

https://www.tntcustoms.com/jeep_par...eaf_sprung_style_jeep_xj_tj_zj_mj_tnt_customs

Yes, those were the only years that the Dana 44 came in a HP version and internal locking hubs, if that’s what you have. I put a TNT truss on mine.

https://www.tntcustoms.com/jeep_par...eaf_sprung_style_jeep_xj_tj_zj_mj_tnt_customs

I don't think mine are "internal" locking hubs, which is why I question it. Mine has the manual lockouts which require you to get out and physically turn the lock, to lock the hubs in.

What size tires are you running? I was planning on 37" tires, but I'm now seeing a lot of people saying a D44 wont handle them.

I don't think mine are "internal" locking hubs, which is why I question it. Mine has the manual lockouts which require you to get out and physically turn the lock, to lock the hubs in.

What size tires are you running? I was planning on 37" tires, but I'm now seeing a lot of people saying a D44 wont handle them.

Internal vs external refer to the style of hubs and how they interact with the stub axle.

I’m running 37s with the trussed axle. If you’ve seen bleepinjeep, he runs 40s on a TJ Dana 44 which is quite a bit weaker than the f250 d44 which has 3 inch tubes that are 1/2 inch wall.

952b936f6808ae419d51f77a30b09f03.jpg

Thanks a lot. I've got a better understanding of internal vs external now. Mine is indeed internal.

I am going to go ahead and replace the welded diff with an open diff while I have it where it's easy to work on.

Next question is, what springs for the rear? I've looked at the bastard pack, but my factory springs are completely shot, so I need to completely replace them.

I don't really know how much lift I need to clear the 37's on full width axles (with minimal trimming of course), I'm thinking probably 6-7", but I'm just guessing.

So what spring/shackle/relocation brackets/ect will give me adequate lift and great flex?

I really like those method wheels, they look good. What size are your tires?

I'm currently leaning towards the BDS long arm lift, they say the 6.5" will clear 33's and the 8.5" will clear 35's (both state *trimming may be required*). I'm debating which to go with. I'm leaning towards the 6.5" for the low center of gravity. At the same time, I don't want to be rubbing every time I flex a little bit. I'm planning on some aggressive trimming, but Im trying to stay away from a full comp cut for now. I'm hoping I can get away with it using full width axles.

I'd stay away from a "kit". If you where keeping stock axles it'd be fine but you're going to run into things not matching up. I'd look at ironman for a cross member, get some joints and fab up your links and trackbar.

https://ironman4x4fab.com/collections/suspension/products/xj-4-link-front-crossmember

Boostwerks shackles
https://www.boostwerksengineering.com/BWE-Comp-Shackles-_p_24.html

Coils you can look at metalcloak, or PAC.

For leafs deaver and general spring are good replacement option. Can also get custom ones.

Bump stop accordingly and shouldn't have to worry about rubbing.

Back