• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winches

Witch Winch do you use, recommend, or want?

• Warn M8000

Votes: 92 43.8%
  • Mile Marker E8000

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • Mile Marker E9000

Votes: 20 9.5%
  • Ramsey REP8000

Votes: 18 8.6%
  • Other

Votes: 75 35.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
XD9000i

There are only three reason's to not run a Warn winch. You are cheap and/or poor, someone gave you a winch or sold one so cheap you just couldn't pass it up, or you won another brand winch in a raffle.

:)

OOOPS!!

Just caught that this is an ancient thread.......

Last edited:
Goatman said:
XD9000i

There are only three reason's to not run a Warn winch. You are cheap and/or poor, someone gave you a winch or sold one so cheap you just couldn't pass it up, or you won another brand winch in a raffle.

:)

exactly... XD9000I is the perfect winch, i wouldn't get anything with a permanent magnet. i've heard they tend to overheat easier, and are not rebuildable like a warn series wound winch.

brandon

I have and use the MM9000. It works great but if you plan to pull the whole line at once for some reason it will overheat about 3/4 the way through. I usualy run a strap as far as I can and winch just a little to get me out.

I notice most of the guys have been saying 9000, but I own a M8000 and am happy with it. I have only used it a couple of times, but it seems plenty strong for my xj. With in a week after getting mine on I headed out where there had been some logging going on. Barried it up pretty good. I have seen worse, but it sure was not going to pull itself out, and the warn never even grunted. It popped right out and away we went. Actually the first test I gave it was to see how well the winch bumper I made was attached to the rest of the rig. I put it in 4 wheel, locked the E-brake, and hooked the winch to a telephone pole. The M8000 drug it across the yard better than I expected it to.
I think I have just told on myself.
Yes, I am a redneck!

Well I am cheap, but I have a Ramsey Rep 8000 and I pulled a 6 wheeled Chevy dually loaded down up out of switch back and it never sputtered. Must be because it is mounted to a warn winch bumper eh ? Really though it did awesome. That is the heaviest thing I've winched out. I have never had a problem or had it bog down. It is like 7 years old. Got it from Jeep On-line place in Alabama. I forget the name of it now. Ramsey isn't warn , but they aren't bad. JMO !
Leon Rosser's that's it !

I like Ramseys, seen too many Warns break.

Including Beezil's, Farm Boy's, and two others.

The finish opn Ramseys was horrible until about last year.

Never get a permanent magnet winch. I have a Ramsey ProPlus9000, series wound, love it.

CRASH

Badcop said:
XD9000i with 140" of Amsteel Blue.
wow you must use a real long strap with that.

as to the mm9000 overheating 3/4 way through. i have pulled the line out all the way to the point where it came of the drum and had to put it back on and winched probably 80-90 ft with it and had no issues. i was stuck real nice to, first time out with it and had all the confidence in the world. i have used it dozens since then and it works great, one day i'll get a warn but this was all i could afford and it is great if you can put up with the slow speed

Magnum 9K

Its made by Warn so you can get partsfor it at any Warn dealer.

Its in the same price point as the ones you listed. I use it and abuse it, pulled me out of 2' bog 50' long.

If i were to do it all again I'd by a Mile Marker hyd. because I never wheel alone, in the long run is cheaper (when you include dual deep cycles, a alternator, and required wiring) and as far as speed I'm in no rush when I go off road and It would be nice to I could pull any thing without damaging the winch.

just my 2cents

I have a Warn HS9500, but I have been surprizingly impressed with the wanna-be Warn's that some of the members of my club have got. They are either Tabor or Magnum 9K. Everything is interchangable between them and Warns (they say Warn on the solenoids).

Currently on my pick up, I'm using a 12,000lbs. Warn, and I hate it. To darn fast and can't pull squat, even with a snatch block. Maybe I'm "Old School", but I have 20+ years in heavy towing and recovery and I miss the good old worm gear winches, they were slow, but they would pull. So for my XJ, maybe an 8274 or some other worm gear if I can find one.

I wouldn't call mine a wanna be. I'm a tight wad and Ramsey does what I need it to do, but cheaper. I guess you weren't talking Ramsey, but they are fairly cheap. Kinda like my Aussies as opposed to the expessive ones. With my Dis-connect I just pop it in 4hi or lo and I'm locked.
Cheap , but very good traction. Actually if I had the money I would probably go all out, but I have a limited amount I can spend. 2 teenagers and 4 major medicals in 6 months keep me broke. :wierd:

CRASH said:
I like Ramseys, seen too many Warns break.

Including Beezil's, Farm Boy's, and two others.

The finish opn Ramseys was horrible until about last year.

Never get a permanent magnet winch. I have a Ramsey ProPlus9000, series wound, love it.

CRASH

Thats the first I've heard of the Ramsey over the Warn. How can you tell if it's a permanent magnet winch? Also any thoughts on worm vs. planetary. I know worms pull hard and slow and the planetary are faster but any actual use feedback?

My votes would be:

XD9000i
9500Ti
9500Si

I ran an XD9000i for several years without any problems. I recented upgraded to the 9500Si.

Kent

WARN XD9000 Mile Markers are imported/ Buy American

BLSXJ said:
Magnum 9K

Its made by Warn so you can get partsfor it at any Warn dealer.

Its in the same price point as the ones you listed. I use it and abuse it, pulled me out of 2' bog 50' long.

If i were to do it all again I'd by a Mile Marker hyd. because I never wheel alone, in the long run is cheaper (when you include dual deep cycles, a alternator, and required wiring) and as far as speed I'm in no rush when I go off road and It would be nice to I could pull any thing without damaging the winch.

just my 2cents
Talked to a Warn Rep once about the magnums...he said in no uncertian terms....STAY AWAY..He told me they are total junk....can't remember why exactly now....Something about using substandard parts but what better advice then a warn rep...

I'm happy with my winch,if it breaks I can replacememt parts, Its the cheapest with a series wound motor.

I'm not saying the warn rep was wrong, but he is a warn rep (read salesmen)

to each his own

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back