• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

Picked up a set of 5 TJ moabs, with a new MTR spare for $100.

And scored 2 31" Firestone MT's with 90% tread for $150

I never get lucky deals like that! Of course I'm probably going to be trying to scrape together a trailer or the money to buy one between now and July. So much for bringing two jeeps..... :rattle:

Decided to take the adventure instead :)

Sounds like fun!

---------------

I'm past the point of no return...
IMG_20130514_200943_341_zpsa6a16d89.jpg

Man, this thing looks like POS all taken apart and dirty.

With that much of the front crossmember cut out there's no reason to have the bumper stick out so far - in fact my front bumper is a piece of 2x6 1/4 wall box tube literally welded to the mounting brackets so close in that I have to use a certain wrench to tighten the four frontmost mounting bolts. My winch fits right in it and I'm pretty sure even with the D-ring tabs, it's got better clearance than a stock bumper.

With that much of the front crossmember cut out there's no reason to have the bumper stick out so far - in fact my front bumper is a piece of 2x6 1/4 wall box tube literally welded to the mounting brackets so close in that I have to use a certain wrench to tighten the four frontmost mounting bolts. My winch fits right in it and I'm pretty sure even with the D-ring tabs, it's got better clearance than a stock bumper.

Oh yeah, That's the plan. I'll be hacking off at least 6 inches of steel from the front of the brackets. That's just a starting point and enough steel to make d-ring mounts. The back of the winch will be about 1" away from the crank pulley.

THis piece of cardboard is what he winch will mount to. I figure the tape will be strong enough. You can't really tell from the picture but the winch mounting plate will be about 1" in front of the stock cross member. Flat against the tabs that stick out for the front most 4 bumper bolts. That puts it about 2"s behind the front of the grille. I'll add a bit of tube out front and brace to the winch plate top and bottom. Very similar to RCMan's bumper. I just won't be painting it red.

IMG_20130514_200310_213_zps9501dfac.jpg

That's actually the whole reason for doing this. I was tired of the crappy approach angle. I want it as good if not better than a stock bumper.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, That's the plan. I'll be hacking off at least 6 inches of steel from the front of the brackets. That's just a starting point and enough steel to make d-ring mounts. The back of the winch will be about 1" away from the crank pulley.

THis piece of cardboard is what he winch will mount to. I figure the tape will be strong enough. You can't really tell from the picture but the winch mounting plate will be about 1" in front of the stock cross member. Flat against the tabs that stick out for the front most 4 bumper bolts. That puts it about 2"s behind the front of the grille. I'll add a bit of tube out front and brace to the winch plate top and bottom. Very similar to RCMan's bumper. I just won't be painting it red.

IMG_20130514_200310_213_zps9501dfac.jpg

That's actually the whole reason for doing this. I was tired of the crappy approach angle. I want it as good if not better than a stock bumper.
ahh, ok. I looked at the first pic and went OH NO you might as well just get a nates4x4 bumper :jester:

Mine should be on the NAXJA frontpage soonish :dunno: how'd that happen?

I actually originally made it as a non-winch bumper just to meet the "must have recovery points" requirement for its first NAXJA run... last winter I got tired of looking at my winch sitting on my porch, took some measurements, and realized I could make it fit the bumper with only a couple hours of work, so I did.

ahh, ok. I looked at the first pic and went OH NO you might as well just get a nates4x4 bumper :jester:

Mine should be on the NAXJA frontpage soonish :dunno: how'd that happen?

I actually originally made it as a non-winch bumper just to meet the "must have recovery points" requirement for its first NAXJA run... last winter I got tired of looking at my winch sitting on my porch, took some measurements, and realized I could make it fit the bumper with only a couple hours of work, so I did.

I've actually seen someone mount an M8000 directly to the back of the stock crossmember then plate the front of it. It'd fit but it'd be insanely close the harmonic balancer. So close that I'd be scared my winch rope would be damaged if it spool high in one spot.

i look forward to the report......

I'll be sure to text you a few updates over the course of the next couple of days.

Too bad it isn't a diesel...i'm stopping at Nicks on my way back Friday and riding out to Lake Phelps with him for the weekend...could do some nice comparisons against that dirtymax he tends to have...

Woo Hoo! :party:

Congrats Andy. party1::party:

Congratulations Andy! She's beautiful!

Back