• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

I got my first leak, well at least I found it Wednesday night. Got under the jeep and grabbed the tie rod to help my fat ass under the front and the tie rod moved. Not all that odd but it moved straight forward and didn't roll like I was expecting it to. I tried to tighten the bolts but the clips were touching. So I upgraded my tie rod to a ZJ tie rod out of the junkyard. Odd that the original drag link is the same size as the ZJ tie rod. Thought it would have had the same cheaply made drag link. When I pulled the old tie rod off I found that if I messed with it enough it would jump a thread.
So now that I hijacked my own post, my steering pump/res is leaking. Any one have any favorite steering boxes out there they could suggest? Junkyard swaps or out of the box?

Search around on here for a Durango steering box upgrade. Plenty of posts around on the topic.

Started the day by tearing apart a 2005 F150 to find the cause of the lack of A/C. Came down to a bad module due to codes being thrown, and a bad blend door. Couldn't get a blend door until mid week and the guy was heading to Myrtle Beach today so we ended up tearing it apart and forcing it to A.C. Also spent some time under the hood of it in a 97* garage with minimal air flow checking pressures and trying to get it to work better. Owner orig. thought the truck needed a recharge when the AC first went out so he added 7 (yes, seven) of freon to it....so i'm still trying to get a good balance on the level and praying he didn't damage anything else when he did that.

Spent the evening running around like crazy at work. Was apparently recommended to a customer who's in need of some automotive work by fellow co-worker this afternoon...may be doing a cylinder head replacement on a 99 V6 Rodeo in the future.

Last edited:
Did my regular junkyard hound run, pulled all sorts of stuff. New steering wheel, airbox, and ECU bracketry already reside in my 98. Also fixed the wacky front end lighting issues with a single sheetmetal screw, all 4 of the ground terminals by the ECU were just hanging there :doh:

Did my regular junkyard hound run, pulled all sorts of stuff. New steering wheel, airbox, and ECU bracketry already reside in my 98. Also fixed the wacky front end lighting issues with a single sheetmetal screw, all 4 of the ground terminals by the ECU were just hanging there :doh:

Must be nice to have local yards with 97+ XJ's readily available.

It is fairly nice. The header panels and fenders are always either smashed or disappear real quick though, been trying to find one for a while.

It is fairly nice. The header panels and fenders are always either smashed or disappear real quick though, been trying to find one for a while.

We get about 1 a year at the pull a part in Charlotte...and it's usually gutted with in 24 hours of hitting the lot.

Finished installing the 97 brake booster, and the dodge mc. Drove to Aiken to spend the weekend with family. Got a call from wife that van was acting funny. When she got there she informed me I needed to go look at it bc it was smoking. So I went out to the driveway in front of the rents house in Aiken to find a puddle of fluid about a foot wide and 2 feet long. Decieded to back the van off the new concrete and wash fluid off. Van would bairly back. Looks like the transmission could be toast. :( :scared: Watched some movies Saturday while the boys played with some family. A cousin came by and brough his Taurus Judge and we went shooting. Have a new gun I want now. :laugh3: Ate dinner with wife and kids at Firehouse subs Saturday evening, did the wall mart shopping thing. Watched toothfairy then bed. Funny movie. Now I get to drive back to Hartsville today. Will probalby have to rent the wife a car too if she and the boys continue to stay here in Aiken.

Sat: 7am.. on the road to Union City TN..
Sat: 10 pm.. back in knoxville TN, 1991 Jeep Cherokee on 32" kumho's sitting in parking lot.
Sun: Driver side wheel off... getting rained on.. Brakes look fine. ABS system glitchy.
Mon: 6:45am ... on the road to Chatt. Work.
Mon: 5:10pm .. reserving room at roach motel.

Mark

So I figure this is as good a place as any... I picked up a bunch of MJ interior trim for High2by at the you-pull-it last weekend. To avoid breaking his bank account shipping it, anyone from SEC ever get up into the PA area? I can drop everything off with anyone at NACFest (weekend after next), but that's about as far south as I ever make it. Even if it takes a couple stops I think it could work... eventually.

So I figure this is as good a place as any... I picked up a bunch of MJ interior trim for High2by at the you-pull-it last weekend. To avoid breaking his bank account shipping it, anyone from SEC ever get up into the PA area? I can drop everything off with anyone at NACFest (weekend after next), but that's about as far south as I ever make it. Even if it takes a couple stops I think it could work... eventually.

Not till around Christmas time, I then drive up to NY From Charlotte and back.

I'll be passing through SE PA on my way to Englishtown NJ July 17/18 and could grab it then.

I'll be passing through SE PA on my way to Englishtown NJ July 17/18 and could grab it then.
That would be awesome - I won't be arriving till the evening of the 18th (really, really late probably - 2300 or so at the earliest) though :( Any chance you'll be going back the other direction the next week or something?

I'm headed for Tremont / Rausch Creek, but can make a side trip to pretty much anywhere along i84 or i78 to drop stuff off.

EDIT: I am an idiot, June and July are different, this could still work though it will add a month to "shipping" time.

Last edited:
Got a call yesterday for a job interview outside of Winston Salem to which the guy wanted to interview me today. Got on the road at 7am and about a mile after I got on the highway I look down to see my check engine light on. Pulled off around the corner from work just incase I needed to grab a quick part....pulled the code and got a coolant temp sensor low input. Cleared it and got back on the highway, only to have it come right back on again in a couple more miles..and this time I saw the temp gauge dropping to zero then bouncing back to 210....so apparently the brand new sensor I just put in last week (to fix the OEM one that was out of spec) went kaputz on me. Made for a fun hour and 45 minute drive though. After finishing the interview I got to my parents and swapped back the OEM one in to get me back to Charlotte and got another one from work under warranty. Seems to be doing good so far.

I did managed to score some OEM tweeters from a 00 Limited and a Class III hitch from Jamescad04. Tomorrow's projects are to hopefully get the hitch cleaned up and repainted and clean up the front bumper and get it one shade of black instead of 2-3, and get the tweeters working as well.

if anyone needs a parts train from Chatt to Knox.. let me know

side note

mark

Drivin home today and the nice person in front of me slammed on his brakes just as the light turned yellow so in turn I slammed on mine. Very law abiding citizen. Light turned green and when I took off. The jeep pulled left. I put on the brakes at the next light and the jeep pulled hard right. And the ass end went left. Had a hard time going, luged up a hill, pulled over and the left brake was smokin hot, literally. Limped Savings home,(re named her savings, tell ya why next) started to tear into her and found the left caliper locked up. So I decided to go through the whole brake system and found molasses in the rear brake lines. No Great American Park this weekend.
So the name of my XJ was Lola because when I got her she had negative lift. A couple of days ago the wife was talking about putting money into savings. Ding ding. So yesterday I was talking about things I needed to do to "Savings" (the jeep) and my wife said why do you call your jeep savings. I said 'Cuz it makes me feel good that you want to put all this money into Savings, my jeep'

Got new track-bar from TOR and installed it Sunday front end needs aligned but drives great:clap:.Saving up for a trip to S.C. so no more money till i take the trip except for some tires for stock wheels to use on trip.

i finished the cargo area yay!
2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

SAM_0004.jpg

SAM_0005.jpg

SAM_0009.jpg

SAM_0010.jpg

oh ya I then decided to take the jeep out behind the shop and biff my jeep on a tree.
27700_1485501903797_1421370013_3128.jpg

Back