• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire comparison, all chime in

I had BFG AT's and now I have Cooper ST and they are much better than the bfg's. I am a big fan of very aggressive AT's.

Big Bear said:
I second the Pro comp muds and also run Pro comp A/T's on my other XJ. The A/T's are less agressive but are sevear weather rated, which meens you don't have to chain up when every body else dose. I haven't had them off road yet but they have hella trackion in the snow. The mud's on the other hand do incredible in snow and and just as good in Moab.

NICE AVATAR........??? {that's my Jeep :D }....I'm an MT/R guy. I've run the SSR and I'll stick with the MT/R for my street/off-road Utah XJ

I use a 38.5 x 14.50 SX's - best tire I have run yet - pretty darn good on the road too (all things considered) Pretty much bombproof and works great everywhere - 4-5psi on the dirt and off you go - 32psi and hit the pavement!

Matt

PS - I'll have to report back about the 16.00r20 Michelin Xl's later :D

I've ran so many different tires over the past two years....

BFG A/T ko- 31x10.5.... they were alright at best. Horrible on wet pavement, horrible in mud, sucked in Seattle

BFG MT (old style) - 33's Did alright. Good all around tire

BFG MT KM - 33's Better then the old, but much softer

PC Xterrain - 33's Damn good tire. Lasted well, gripped well, loved em

SSR- 33's. Kicked ass, not too loud, but pricey

TSL (bias) - 33's. Kill everything tire. Hum bad on the street, and scare small children when they see them. My true favorite. I just run some bitch 33's on the street.

If you want one tire for all uses, add the trXus to your list. I know I keep harping on this, but these tires are better onroad than the BFG AT ko's they replaced. They ride better, they are quiet, and they stick better in wet and snowy conditions, and there is no comparison when the stuff gets deep. As I've posted before, they are so good in loose and packed snow that they caused me to replace the stock Bridgestones that came on my Subaru.

Offroad, I have no complaints. They stick nicely to rocks, and although I don't deal much with mud, they are good enough in deep snow that they'd handle the kind of mud I'd ever run into. This is not the ultimate offroad tire, but it is the first tire I've run that I would truly consider "all terrain". It is good at everything at bad at nothing, which is exactly what you want if you are only going to run one set of tires. So far, treadlife appears to be good.

If you are running a pure street set, find what works best in snow and rain. I'd think Pirelli or the Geolanders, personally. But considering how good the new breed of MT's is...unless you are a mudder why bother with two sets of tires?

Nay

i like my bfg mt kms tey work well and wear even better

Goodyear MTRs !!! I have the 33 x 12.5 MTRs and they are great on and off road. On road they are quite for a mud terrain, stick and handle well. Off road they are awesome. Especially for rock crawling. Look through your 4BY mags and see what most are running. Note: I live in the west, little snow or mud. Lots of sand and rocks. Lets head out..........
Sean M.

Slip Kid said:
I have BFG AT KOs, 31x10.5. they wear kinda fast but they work great in pretty much everything, a real 'all-terrain'

I agree except that I have a little over 80,000 miles on my 32x11.50's.:eek: They probably still have at least 10 to 20,000 left in them! They have lasted very well! I will definitely buy them again

I think that this unofficial NAXJA tire review should be saved, as it gives those looking for new tires real world long term reviews on many of the more popular tires.

XJguy

I ran my stock Wranglers on my new 96XJ to the rims after a few outings. Went to those Mud Kings, they where o.k. but did not air down very well. On my 99XJ Big O M/T's wore out fast on the road, had to stop for a deer and never got the flat spot out of them. Now I run BFG M/T Km and I like them alot, rotate every 3,000 to keep them even. I might go with swampers next since my XJ now is no longer a daily driver.

Andy73 said:
I agree except that I have a little over 80,000 miles on my 32x11.50's.:eek: They probably still have at least 10 to 20,000 left in them! They have lasted very well! I will definitely buy them again

I also put a little over 80k miles on a set of 31" BFG A/Ts on another vehicle... still had some miles left in 'um when I moved up to 35" BFG A/Ts (and sold them for $20 each at a yard sale!!)

I used Michelin LTX/AT's (215's) right after I got my XJ, worked well for a little tire,were quiet, and wore very well... when I started building it up I moved to General Grabber MT's, (31's)which didn't wearwell, were loud as H*ll on the road and were just ok off road, I switched to Cooper STT's,(31's) that are (imo)a better tire, they wear better, are somewhat quieter, are much better on road, especially on a slick wet road,(at least compared to the Generals) offroad, so far so good, this summer will tell.....next change I will be moving higher, and may go for TRXUS 33's - everyone I have met who has tried them liked them.

Ok since I seem to always be the "black sheep" in every group, I will have to say Mickey Thompson Baja Claws. I have the radials and soon.........as soons as I get enough lift....... I will have their NEW 46" bias Claws. Not many people know about them I was told by someone I worked with there about them.

XJguy said:
I think that this unofficial NAXJA tire review should be saved, as it gives those looking for new tires real world long term reviews on many of the more popular tires.

XJguy

Rich, all I've read here is everyone saying how much they like the tires they're running. Little or no comments on what they've run in the past that they didn't like or what they don't like about their current tire compared to what they ran before. Sounds like the 4x4 mags......everything is good! ;)

I run rocks, so that's my perspective. I've run a couple of sets of BFG muds and I would never run them again, couldn't get rid of them fast enough. They grip Ok but have a weak sidewall and I cut them all the time. The BFG's TriGuard is marketing...3 small plies verses others 2 big plies. I've run Swamper SSR's, which I initially liked, but they ended up being difficult to keep balanced. They also were harder to turn so it was like dropping a rear end gear ratio because of the extra power it took to turn them on the highway. I liked how they gripped, good in the little mud I ran, very good in the rocks, and fantastic in the snow. The sidewall was pretty durable, but the compound is real soft so the sidewalls had lots of gouges in them.

My current tires are Goodyear MT/R's, which I like a lot. They balance easily, take much less power to turn than the Swampers, and for an aggresive tire have very good steet manners. The grip in the rocks is awsome, a little better than the SSR's. The sidewall compound is much tougher than the soft SSR's, and they hardly have any marks in them. The sidewall thickness and the compound is better than the BFG's. Many think the MT/R is the best all around off road tire available, and I agree.

As the very first response said......

RCP Phx said:
There is no "Perfect" tire!Where do you live?What different types of terrain do you have?I live in Phx so we go from Snow to Rocks that are 200+degrees hot,it even rains here(can you say flooding)!

We all have different conditions and needs.We all expect different things from our tires(daily driver vs. having 2 sets or off-road only)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I bought my XJ is still had the original Goodyear P-Metrics on it and they were almost bald. I wanted something more aggressive but it was going to be my daily driver and I didn't want to run mud tires. I chose the Dunlop Radial Rover R/T's. They are listed on the Dunlop home page but I've never seen them at any store I've ever been to. I would describe them as a highly aggressive A/T. They are pinned for studs, and have excellent traction in the snow. I've only been in mud a couple times but they had no problem there either. Not the quietest ride but alot better than a swamper or M/T. And at nearly 50,000 miles, they still have enough tread for at least one more year. They do seem to be getting noiser in their old age, and my set seems to take alot of weight to balance. But I am terrible at regular rotation, and like to drive fast on the highway so I'd have to say they don't owe me anything. No experience on rocks or sand.

I like the Super Swamper Boggers best! Down here on the fall line near the coast if it's not dry it's bottomless. They handle mud the best and everything else at an acceptable level. These tires also work well for scaring small children, but my three year old likes to climb on mine. If I need grocerys I'll just drive the Civic.

I am running super swamper ltb's right now. They are wearing great, and have superb traction. If only they were a bit wider.

How did those Super Swamper LTB's ride and balance out. I just can't help but look a the new 33x13.50-15 for $118.50 For that price it's a steal even for an old school Bias Ply Polyester Mud grip.

I never balanced them, they are purely offroad only for me atleast. I have no idea how they would ride on the road. Work awsome for cheap tires. That's why I bought them. I would buy another set in a heart beat.

Back