• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Budget Bucket's build

yes have the pinion angle at the axle 1-3* lower to account for axle wrap under acceleration. basically when you accelerate you axle, and therefore pinion, wrap up a little bit, and the pinion angle comes up a few degrees.

If you have bad angles and/or bad U joints, a SYE isn't a solution. fix the angles and U joints, then if you still have vibes for some reason(usually too steep of an angle at the U joints) then a SYE is a solution.

Of course if you just want strength and reliability then go for a SYE over the stock slip yoke setup.

For example if your tcase output is say point down at 15*, the your pinion should be pointing up somewhere at 11*-14*, prefer around 12-13*.

the pinion wraps upward under axle wrap, when you see it in person on someone climbing a surface its freaking crazy to sometimes see the rear pinion wrap practically straight up, thats one way you break UJoints at the pinion when flooring it up a ledge….

if your tcase output is at 15* (pointing down) then you want your pinion at 12-13*, since you said its at 15*, you want to bring the pinion back down 2-3*. So if you throw a shim in the rear leaf pack, throw a 3* shim with the fat part facing forward.

assuming you took your readings right. you read the angles with a shallow socket off of the U joint caps at the tcase and at the pinion.

It could be too much. you'll be at -3.7* from the tcase output angle. i would say try it, but don't even bother trying it until you are 100% sure your current Ujoints are good. and if you do the tcase drop make sure you only do one thing at a time.

UPDATE:

ok so me and kevin put the 4* shims in backwards with the flat part forward and it helped! almost solved the vibes completly.

so now i only have vibes getting on the freeway under acceleration between 30-40 mph exactly. and a very small one about 65 and over (yes i can sitll go fast like stock),

and then we dropped the t-case about a half inch wich helped as well.

so now my vibes are cured for me at least. down the road i will definitely go with a sye eventually but for now i consider it a fix because its so small.

so now i am focused on getting the jeep polished off with minute details for fixing up and then i will be saving up for bumpers, sliders, and a ROLL CAGE!!!!

super stoked. thanks for the help on curing those vibes guys.

i havent checked my angles yet because we couldnt find the angle finder at the time. i will get to that. but for now i am installing a intercooler for the tranny, cut and fold for fenders and rear quarter pannel and then install some small stuff like lights, better floormates, and track down that rough idoling wich ill start with spark plugs, we already checked the idol air control valve and cleaned that sensor. so im stoked!

change both rear DS U joints and I bet it will drive home the last of the vibes. Tom woods has some high angle U joints for a decent price. Consider those, otherwise spicers.

ya i was going to look for some spicer's soon. i think livermore has some.

and today i installed the oil cooler (PITA!) but its in and runs, also new filter, bought new spark plugs, sea foam to chase down that rough idol, and my lights, sun visor and camera stuff came today so more pics coming soon!!

West sac driveline has em. Or you can order em online

Your build looks good man. Hows it coming chasing down the rough idle that you had at hollister? have you noticed a difference yet with the cooler on?

Yeah if I don't find em closer then I'll go there.

And thanks man. Ehh I can't tell. Cleaned the iac but happened still and then we just sea foamed it and will be putting in spark plugs tomorrow. So hopefully all those things work

Could that rough idle be the heat soak problem that year gets(has the cats in the exhaust manifold)? My 01 did it all the time. I think it was the injectors getting too hot.

For Heat Soak:

exhaust leaks make heat soak far worse. Check all manifold bolts for torque. check for cracks in the manifold, loose bolts at the cat. and the collector flange. Wrap injectors and fuel rail with heat tape. Install hood vents. That should fix most heat soak issues.

For Heat Soak:

exhaust leaks make heat soak far worse. Check all manifold bolts for torque. check for cracks in the manifold, loose bolts at the cat. and the collector flange. Wrap injectors and fuel rail with heat tape. Install hood vents. That should fix most heat soak issues.

X2. Also I've seen some stock manifolds with heat shields built into them in the spaces between the runners. On mine I put a heat relfective mat material under the intake manifold, worked great.

The intake manifold and surrounding parts would get super hot when there was low flow of air and after sitting with engine off and hot. Would idle like crap for awhile under it cooled off. I've heard it can lead to bigger issues so I'd jump on it. I could see hood vents and some kind of heat shield helping a lot.

Last edited:
Back