• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Budget Bucket's build

well today i got down to washing and painting her again. this time i painted the fat door dings and i think it came out pretty well in my opinion. tommorrow is the skid and sliders to be installed.

heres before during and after.

man I'm jealous of your sunroof. I just picked up a 99 and its so dam tempting to lift It. yours is set up just how I would do mine.

thanks! ive suprisingly have gotten a few comments on how people like the lower lift set up. i always thought people were more into the taller lifts to be honest. i like the low lift cause it gives me more of a challenge. its also way cheaper AKA the Budget Bucket haha.

thanks ahha. dealer installed. only problem is that it weakend the roof alittle so it rattles in the rear wich i have a plan to fix it. also whistles but i have a part in the mail to fix that as well. all in future plans

alright so kevin (jeeper045) and gordon (favaguitars? or is it gordosmasho?) and i all went to Hollister hills today and had a blast. tons of fun. didnt get to many pictures but i grabbed a few. so here ya go. stoked to get working on my ruff idoling that started happening.

this one here sums up wheeling pretty well, confused, poser, stuck, and too much advise, but overall a great time lol.

here is gordo pulling a miley...

dat ass tho man.. lol

Great weather and looks like you all had a lot of fun.

Hey you forgot that you ran into me..haha. It was really cool getting to meet you and Kevin in person and I had a blast wheeling and hanging out with you guys for the day.

I can't believe Gordo tried a line that got him hung up...:D

Looks like a lot of fun. I guess I should have waited a day and went out to Hollister with you guys. I still had some fun over in PC, but it would have been more fun with some people that I know.

it was an awesome! day! and yes great weather too.

and oh yeah we did run into you guys! that was really cool meeting y'all. so down to wheel w ya again man.

and ya he did haha but its because we all chickened out ourselves. he did complete the top truck challenge course however...so mad props to him, his rig, and his passengers.

ALRIGHT QUESTION TIME!

so I checked my angles (driveline) and my tranny output is at -15.4 and my diff is at 15.7 so its a .3' difference but i have terrible driveline vibrations. is it because i simply have a 242?

If so should i go tom woods and $500 or should i try to build a cheap cheap 231 and see if that fits and solves the problem. is the 231 output shaft longer? trying to figure out what i should do to destroy these vibs man.

im doing a half inch t-case drop tomorrow to see what that does

if you have any experience with this please let me know. im reading forums like a mad man and still am lost.

I had the exact same problem with my 01 with the 3.5 re kit (more like 4.5) I had to do a hackntap and had a front shaft modified to fit in the rear. Tcase drops are crappy band aids, hackntaps are cheap and not to hard to do. Plenty of write ups out there.

How much of a drop in gas mileage have you seen with your current set-up? My 01 never left town really.

awesome pics, looks so freaking fun man. Im super jealous thats for sure.

Drop it half and inch , measure the angles, test drive.

My money is on some axle wrap(due to long shackles, soft leaves, crappy/shot shocks) , a bad pinion U joint in the rear DS(or maybe joint at tcase output bound up and died) , and the fact that you're pinion angle> t case output. You really need that pinion 1-3* below the tcase output to account for axle.

fo tcase drop and dialing in rear angles, you can use washers. stack em a few at a time , until the vibes go away.

If your pinion is too high, no amount of washers will fix it , you will need to shim the pinion down. that means putting the fat part of your shims facing forward.

and replace your U joints. Bad angles and axle wrap will kill them fast then you end up chasing your tail.

I would do the t case drop in the short run , since if it fixes it, you know your problem. in the long run it will kill your motor mounts and tranny mounts faster, but just swap it for a SYE whenever you can down the road.

You best bet is shimming rear axle

BTW

Serious off road has SYEs for around 150$, and you can use a 40$ junkyard front shaft and call it done. So for around 200$ you can have the SYE done. Other than rear axle shims to dial in rear pinion to now be 1-3* below the DS angle

I had the exact same problem with my 01 with the 3.5 re kit (more like 4.5) I had to do a hackntap and had a front shaft modified to fit in the rear. Tcase drops are crappy band aids, hackntaps are cheap and not to hard to do. Plenty of write ups out there.

How much of a drop in gas mileage have you seen with your current set-up? My 01 never left town really.

hmm alright sounds like the way to go. i just want to make it last. ill do some more research. is it harder for a 242 hack n tap? and i havent had to much gas mileage drop to be honest. instead of 20 mpg at 70 i get 21 at 60 but im not complaining haha. its defenitly dropped but maybe only about 5-8? idk i dont realy watch it except for long trips for like school and stuff

awesome pics, looks so freaking fun man. Im super jealous thats for sure.

Drop it half and inch , measure the angles, test drive.

My money is on some axle wrap(due to long shackles, soft leaves, crappy/shot shocks) , a bad pinion U joint in the rear DS(or maybe joint at tcase output bound up and died) , and the fact that you're pinion angle> t case output. You really need that pinion 1-3* below the tcase output to account for axle.

fo tcase drop and dialing in rear angles, you can use washers. stack em a few at a time , until the vibes go away.

If your pinion is too high, no amount of washers will fix it , you will need to shim the pinion down. that means putting the fat part of your shims facing forward.

and replace your U joints. Bad angles and axle wrap will kill them fast then you end up chasing your tail.

I would do the t case drop in the short run , since if it fixes it, you know your problem. in the long run it will kill your motor mounts and tranny mounts faster, but just swap it for a SYE whenever you can down the road.

You best bet is shimming rear axle

hmm ok ill try the drop first since its easy and free and see where that ends up. and ya it could be a whole lot of those things, i hope its not tho. and ok so i need to have my pinion at my rear axle 1-3* lower then the angle out of the t-case? and this is my biggest mod i am doing and hopefully the last before i get to welding in a bunch of plans.

Back