• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Budget Bucket's build

We put the fat side in the rear to bin the pinion angle up.

Damn phone.

We put the fat side in the rear to bing the pinion angle up. The pinion angle looks pretty darn close to the driveshaft angle ( which I don't think is right)

What is the proper way to measure the pinion angle?

How many degrees should the pinion be pointed below the driveshaft angle?

Sam you can probably download an angle finder/level onto your phone to find the angle.

Damn phone.

We put the fat side in the rear to bing the pinion angle up. The pinion angle looks pretty darn close to the driveshaft angle ( which I don't think is right)

What is the proper way to measure the pinion angle?

How many degrees should the pinion be pointed below the driveshaft angle?

Sam you can probably download an angle finder/level onto your phone to find the angle.

thats your problem if he doesnt have a SYE. if he has a SYE then its correct. With a stock setup(NO sye) you need that shim gone, or if needed, the fat part facing the front of the jeep.

you need the tcase output shaft angle u joint and pinion u joint to be operating at the same angles. rotate the DS so that the U joint cap is straight up and down. put a shallow socket on it . take that angle.

now do the same for the U joint at the tcase output. Put an angle finder on it. It should be the same, but opposite.

technically they are supposed to be parrallel.

if you are too lazy to measure, I would first pop the shim out and drive it.

if that doesnt fix it, then put it back in, fat part forward not rearward.

you really need to measure to know how much you need to bring the pinion up or down or the same for the t case output shaft.

a tcase drop effectively drops the rear output shaft operating angle down, and usually when you lift the rig you point the pinion up, this gets the angles more in line to being parrallel.

sweeet well thanks guys! i solved the problem by taking out those shims. only vibrates at certain RPM's im guessing tires and some u joints but whatever lol. jk?

Anyway its finally done! all parts that i have at the moment are on the jeep and bolted in! soooo as i know you all love pictures as much as i do so i took some for yall NAXJA . so here we go!! :yelclap:

start with some stock stuff and then get to it!
this is from sierra fest, my last stock wheeling trip. wheeled right up those stare steps! :passgas:

then i started working on it. heres what parts looked like when i got em. (now painted black and silver dont have picks of done product but they look good)

then we tore her all apart. :repair:

got sketchy while doing some springy stuff
:gee::wow::spin1:

then the stupidest part of the whole lift....the ever so popular shock bolts broke.... ALL 4 OF EM!! which sucked because i had to get this done in a few days. thank God for Kevin's welding and engineering skills and made some mounts for em.

heres the black and silver paint

some drilling and tight corners and frame railes later i got the skid and hitch on.

then bought some rubicon express quick releases. cant tell if they fit well or not. the springs are too stiff to notice a sway bar. i take it off and it feels like its still there. such good springs.

then i had to take a small break to go on this here backpacking trip.
MT. whitney in one day. 14,459 ft. tallest MT in the lower 48. hiked in one day 19 hrs. trust me....dont do it in one day lol. flash floods and hail...but at least NAXJA made it to the summit and back lol

then i took out the shims and got her running better than it was. fixed some more small stuff. had to take a semi poser pic but couldn't get it fully extended. unfortunately urban wheeling has its limits..... lol :piratefla :cheers: :party:

well that concludes my update on the BUDGET BUCKET!!!

whats wrong: everything lol jk...
  • a small driveshaft clunk when you let off the gas and also when coasting :gonnablow
  • possible small vibrations from rear end when at certain speeds and rpm's.
  • need to cut fenders in front. rubs the nipples raw (the tires.. not mine..)
  • straighten out steering which is easy

what to put on:
  • grand cherokee tie rod assembly i bought
  • transfer case skid plate i have.

what i need still that isnt fabed or customed; to wheel it properlly
  • diff covers

any way shes up up up and running. gonna hit some trails in reno once im all moved in and settled. so stoked to join this great group of fellas and all the other heeps of xj's!

then i had to take a small break to go on this here backpacking trip.
MT. whitney in one day. 14,459 ft. tallest MT in the lower 48. hiked in one day 19 hrs. trust me....dont do it in one day lol. flash floods and hail...but at least NAXJA made it to the summit and back lol

Nice. I have a three day permit for the last weekend of sept. Looking forward to testing out the new heart valve. Lol

Jeep looks good and I am not even going to ask about the coil spring and jack....

what was your pinion angle before removing shims?
what was the angle after? whats your DS angle?
whats your t case output angle?

with the bad angles you had with the shims , you could have eaten the pinion U joint a bit. I bet new U joints in the rear DS might fix the rest of the vibes, unless your angles are still off.

Nice. I have a three day permit for the last weekend of sept. Looking forward to testing out the new heart valve. Lol

Jeep looks good and I am not even going to ask about the coil spring and jack....

haha ya three days is probably the perfect time for it. one day was just killer. oh and bring your raint suit, mine apperently doesnt hold water off anymore..... and thanks!!!

ya that was kevs idea....but it worked....lol

and thanks favaguitars

and john....i dont think your going to like my answer....

pinion angle before removing shims = very bad
pinion angle after= excellent
and i have no clue lol havent measured
and i think your right. after further inspection (getting into the ujoint) it looks like ill need to be getting new ones.

btw i didnt ignore your input i just had a super short timeframe and just skipped measuring

lessons learned with that story. It was cheaper to replace the ujoints than the drveshaft, pinion yoke, pinion bearings. It had me and many other people on the freeway eating seat.

I am not even going to ask about the coil spring and jack....

That right there was the result of some top notch redneck engineering. We had to get those (fully extended) coil compressors off the spring somehow haha

Heres some shots of this past weekend on slick rock because Sam is too lazy to post his pictures up :roll:

Sam's rig did great and never ceases to surprise me with what it can handle. 31's open open is where its at.

If you look closely you will see Sam's famous wheeling face... Which is only seen on the stair steps.

Sam did the high clearance tie rod modification on the trail that day. Gained at least 3" of clearance.

One more solid wheeling trip in the books. Many more to come.

How was the weather on the forecast when you were looking to go ? We are looking at going next week, but the forecast is highs of 35 /lows of 12 and snow all weekend basically. think we might do boards for hte camping part and a day run to SR on sat.

Back