• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stories, ups, downs, carnage, thoughts, etc

mako my day

NAXJA Forum User
Tell all! I couldn't make the trip, but I have been living through all the updates.

So......... Let's here everyone's account of the trip! Spill the beans!

There was an extremely long wait for the event, a long drive to Moab, yadda, yadda, yadda, pooped my pants on wedgie then we went home. Great trip.

Fixed!

If you haven't been to Moab, plan to go! 3100 miles later I'm home and can't wait to get back. Next time I'll be in a rental jeep, though.

Last edited:
Moab is the 4wheeling Mecca....period. Do what it takes to get there someday.

I stood there looking at the scenery when we ran Chicken Corners the first day and thought that the money just doesn't matter......this is priceless.

Oh, and don't forget to check your steering bolts regularly.

Moab is absolutely the best bang for the buck vacation, I could spend double the money on a Hawaii vacation and still not have half the fun

My family had a blast, the pictures don't do it justice. When I get to the point in life where I'm ready to buy a vacation home, it will be within a couple hour drive to Moab.

I urge anyone who hasn't been, to make it a Goal And follow through with it! You WONT be disappointed

Go . no matter what. I knew it would be a blast, but I never thought in my wildest dreams it would be this much fun or scenic and just plain rad. If you dont have a tow rig and trailer then Carpool with 1 or more guys that do have one and share a rig to cut down costs if you have to. Probably the funnest wheeling you will ever do.

The rest of the Naxja chapters are all incredibly cool dudes. Good people. Great to wheel with, great attitudes, they would all give you the shirt off their back .

Bring extra tarps to cover your tent for rain even if the initial forecast when leaving California is clear.

Tons of traction out there. Wow. You dont need tons of lift for moab or huge tires- at least what we ran. You can do alot with just a stock XJ out there (Mitch did...) . Plenty of open/open 31s out there too. . 2 lockers and 33s is probably perfect to do alot of the Bonus lines and some of the tougher trails.

Pics dont do it justice. not even close.

Also the town of moab has lots of good places to eat, and a grocery store, so dont stress about packing food for an entire 9 day trip.

having the con right here and ran it a bunch, and now running Moab, id put Moab up on the bucket list before the con if you have to travel a great distance to wheel both of them.

Kelly, I'm glad we finally got to wheel together! Been looking forward to that after our many talks on here.

Wished I could have. Kelly's jeep is on my top three favorite list on NAXJA.

What? This piece of crap right here? Thanks, man. Those are kind words.

20131010_131855_zps31bb09b4.jpg

For me, this trip was like good sex. There was a long build up with lots of planning and preparation before the ultimate and glorious payoff. Then I got to drive home cold, broke, and alone. :/

Last edited:
Then I got to drive home cold, broke, and alone. :/

Me too...literally.

My wife drove her car down seperate. I didn't even get to enjoy her company on the ride home.

And....thanks to Ram-Rod's generous deal he made me on his roof rack I came home way more broke than I intended to.

Met lots of great people. Only minor damage for me. Made it home safely earlier this evening.
Driver taillight housing lens broke. One of the pins for my first gen re sway bar discos went mia. I have more.

Moab is the 4wheeling Mecca....period. Do what it takes to get there someday.

Nothing else remains to be said. 10 years ago Richard talked me into going in a stock XJ and I haven't regretted it ever. Do what it takes to get there.

You guys are crazy. Worst thing I ever did was drive to Moab three years ago. It haunts me everyday how awesome it was and how bad I need to go back. If I never went I wouldn't have this itch!

this forum is today's work productivity sponge...... it's like crack. i cant walk away from it.
thanks for the great pics and stories everyone!

Back home around the water cooler, everyone asks about our trip. I'm finding it nearly impossible to describe, and pictures simply don't do it justice.

This was our first trip to Moab. We will definitely go back. And when we do, it will surely be spectacular. But as with so many of life's true pleasures, the first time will always be special.

Moab-Rim-180-Degrees.jpg

Kelly, I don't really care much about Jeeps any more but you really impressed me after your sloooooow tipover in the Wedgie. All of the witnesses took the bypass but you drove right down it after getting back on 4 wheels. That was one of the more memorable experiences for me that week! :thumbup:

The not caring about Jeeps is blasphemy, but I get that I guess. A Prius is cool too.

The slow roll was hilarious to me, and although I could have slipped the tranny into reverse and backed out before it was too late, I was laughing while the Jeep was slowly diving into the wedge and was amazed it kept on going. Before long, I realized I had my right foot on the passenger door and nearly standing straight up and it was too late to recover. Hell, if anything it made for a good memory for me too. I'd run that trail again any day of the week and I look forward to my return.

Back