• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1996 4.0 No Crank, Starter Works When Jumped

Is the NSS still connected? Do your backup lights work?

Pins B & C on the NSS are the ones that complete the ground when in P/N (This is the Pin 10 on the relay to the NSS circuit). Definitely give all of the connectors a good cleaning especially the contacts inside.

You can test the NSS directly using an ohm meter or 12v test light. With the meter or test light connected to pins B & C on the NSS, you should get continuity (low ohms or lit bulb).

The NSS is still connected as far as I know, at least it appears so at the connector in the engine compartment (passenger side rear, near head. There are 3 or 4 connectors there in a "bundle" and all appear to be oil soaked. There is also a wire in that "bundle" that grounds to the passenger side/rear of the engine block that has a cheap non sealed butt connector crimping two halves together. It's hard to see but the wire with crimped butt connector appears to be a black with orange or white stripe. I do have electrical contact cleaner and will try and get the connectors cleaned up and replace the butt connector with a solder sleeve with adhesive sealent early this upcoming week. The engine is not original according to the PO (may be a newer model/year, definitely a 4.0 though. The vehicle itself is a 96) and I have no idea what all has been mucked with. There are a few random loose connectors floating around in the engine compartment not connected to anything.

I have seen a few bypass options in searching, including what I did (run jumper from pin 10 with relay installed, to ground), jumping inside the NSS connector in the engine compartment with a paper clip and installing a switched ground. Is there any concern in leaving the jumper wire semi permanently from pin 10 to ground, other than being able to start in gear? I would think being just an alternate ground it should be fine, but I am far from an electrical expert.

Back