• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Phrases/Words that bother you. Opinions?

"at the end of the day"

Improper use of the word "sale"

"I am going to sale my parts."

WTF!?!

"I am going sell my parts."

Don't get me started on the incorrect use of simple verbs.

I have to second the hatred of politically correct language. It is inaccurate and dishonest. Most of the time, it is just plain wrong. For example, saying that someone is "developmentally challenged" instead of mentally retarded. A challenge is something that may be overcome, whereas mental retardation (e.g., Down Syndrome) is a permanent condition.

I have to second the hatred of politically correct language. It is inaccurate and dishonest. Most of the time, it is just plain wrong. For example, saying that someone is "developmentally challenged" instead of mentally retarded. A challenge is something that may be overcome, whereas mental retardation (e.g., Down Syndrome) is a permanent condition.

Challenged being a handicap. Challenge being difficult to perform daily life.

I agree with you though.

"let me axe you a question" , and "meh."
:roflmao:
Thats like "Fa rio"...I think it's hoodrat for "For real"

"hot water heater" instead of "water heater"...Drives me insane!

Or anything that comes out of my Mother-in-law's mouth...:)

I can't stand people that agree with something that has been previously posted and type X2 (or X3, or whatever the case may be).

Actually, I'm surprised that doesn't bug anyone else.

I can't stand people that agree with something that has been previously posted and type X2 (or X3, or whatever the case may be).

Actually, I'm surprised that doesn't bug anyone else.

X2

:D

when people say "alls i know is..." -100 IQP

When the news reporter , or anyone else for that matter says ..."It's 9 am in the morning...." pick ONE

"I been gonna get some of that" cant stand it but it makes me laugh a little.

'Me Likey" came around again when Chris Farley said it in Tommy Boy.

While watching the news one night, I heard a news man utter "efforting". WTF?

Whenever I hear ebonics, I repeat exactly what they said but with a normal accent. So I'll say it "like a white person" but with everyone left off/chopped up. People who see me everyday stopped using ebonics around me :D

ebonics for sure, or people that just refuse to use any semblance of grammar or spelling in their typing or speaking.

its just freaking annoying.

people that call me bud are annoying as well.
- um ... for me, people who don't use a Capital or upper case letter at the beginning of a sentence ... :laugh3:

But seriously ... where do I begin???

- When people say "it's gonna be all right" when something bad happens. Huh? Since when did you become the Almighty? Or psychic? How in heck do you know it's gonna be alright?

- The phrase "New & Improved" really irks me. If it's "new", how is it improved? It never existed before! If it's "improved", then clearly it's not new.

- People who refer to my Jeep as a "rig". aarrghh!!

- When people pluralize the word "beer" (I had 6 beers last night). So why don't you say "he went hunting & brought home 2 deers"? Listen up guys ... it's 1 beer, 10 cans (bottles) of beer and so on. It takes longer to say, but at least it's correct!

I'm gonna butt out of this thread now because there's lots more ... and I admit I'm a snob since I was an English major in college. Nope, Americans just don't speak English! Here's a suggestion: just don't speak when I'm around - it bothers me ... :D

(All true, but all in good fun. No disrespect intended ... and I am an American.)

... and I admit I'm a snob since I was an English major in college.
Wow, I was impressed to see someone correctly use the ellipsis (space before and after). Then my excitement was met with disappointment as you placed punctuation (commas and period) outside of the quotation marks. Didn't you learn nothing in college? :laugh3:

Back