• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Phrases/Words that bother you. Opinions?

-
- When people pluralize the word "beer" (I had 6 beers last night). So why don't you say "he went hunting & brought home 2 deers"? Listen up guys ... it's 1 beer, 10 cans (bottles) of beer and so on. It takes longer to say, but at least it's correct!

So by that logic...

1 Goose...5 geese

1 Moose....5 meese?

:rolleyes:

English has very few rules that are absolute - you should know that being an English major.

I'm going to go drink 2 more beers and go to bed! :cheers:

Wow, I was impressed to see someone correctly use the ellipsis (space before and after). Then my excitement was met with disappointment as you placed punctuation (commas and period) outside of the quotation marks. Didn't you learn nothing in college? :laugh3:

He also didn't capitalize "aarrghh."

:D

"let me axe you a question"

I typically have to follow this phrase up with "No sir, you can't pay for tools with food stamps or WIC."

people calling hand guns "gats"
and being called "mane"
living in the south im fine with being called bud, man, chief, hoss, boss, or what ever. and im guilty of calling people i have never met "bud"

So by that logic...

1 Goose...5 geese

1 Moose....5 meese?

:rolleyes:

English has very few rules that are absolute - you should know that being an English major.

I'm going to go drink 2 more beers and go to bed! :cheers:
I wasn't trying to be "logical" ... just using another word that followed the same rule. But you are right: English has very few rules that are absolute.

Tom R. said:
Didn't you learn nothing in college?
Nope, it wasnt nothin worth learnin :laugh3:

A fun thread like this shouldn't be allowed to die ... YET. Or is it simply that I like to peek inside others' private peeves ... hmmm.

Don't ever come south of the mason-dixon line
It's not the pronunciation that bothers me as much as the actual spelling. It just seems extremely lazy to drop the g. 'Looking' is a seven letter word; the person already typed the first six letters correctly. Why the heck did they stop?

It's not the pronunciation that bothers me as much as the actual spelling. It just seems extremely lazy to drop the g. 'Looking' is a seven letter word; the person already typed the first six letters correctly. Why the heck did they stop?

"Looking" is pronounced differently than "Lookin".

Could be the person want's the convey the different pronunciation.

oh, i spell it properly i just drop most of my g's

1 Goose...5 geese

1 Moose....5 meese?

I :heart: this language.

The one that drives me absolutely nuts is when people say "higher" instead of "raise." Yeah, like, as a verb. So, instead of "I need to raise the front end of my Jeep," it would be "I need to higher the front end of my Jeep." Painful.

Used to hear that one all the time growing up, as the neighbor kids were dumb as rocks. Ten years later, it's come back to haunt me - one of my friend's sisters is dull enough to say it.

I hate it when people diagram my sentences and correct my spelling on internet message boards.hasta

"and what not"

Translated means, I have nothing more to say, but I wish to say something. ESPECIALLY when people say it repeatedly in one dialogue.

"Feeler" when used in for sale ads. Either you're going to sell the damn thing or you're not. I won't even open a thread with feeler in the title.

I just thought of one that bothers me!

"needs fixed"

The jeep needs fixed before I can use it again. The omission of the verb really grinds my gears. :D

I grew up enunciating all of my words properly but the longer I stay here the more retarded my verbal skills become. I can't say "this or that" without concentrating any longer, it has become "dis or dat".

I catch myself saying stupid shit like "prolly" when I mean probably. It started out as a joke and soon enough became a fargin habit. I have an IQ in the neighborhood of 145 and I am speaking more and more like a cross between a mouthbreathing hick and a cajun every day.

Mais, me I disappoint myself, yeah. <---(cajuns actually construct sentences like this)

"Transparency" the new political buzz word.

Also, when I hear the UFC fighters say " Its gonna be a WAR"

It just rubs me wrong....

Back