• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Phrases/Words that bother you. Opinions?

I just thought of one that bothers me!

"needs fixed"

Yes! I get that at work all the time. Anything that needs to be done: The pump needs rebuilt, the coupling needs aligned, the motor needs rewired.

Hillbillies need edjumicated...

Robert

goodburbon said:
Mais, me I disappoint myself, yeah. <---(cajuns actually construct sentences like this)
My wife's from Lafayette. When I met her, a few of our mutual friends had nicknamed her 'Swampy' for her Cajun-speak. She's very smart and educated (Civil Eng. w/P.E. license) and her writing is nearly flawless, but sounded especially funny here in Denver, where most people have a total lack of accent. Ten years of living here has gotten rid of most of it, but not all. Whenever we go visit her family, it takes me a few days to catch on.
A ditch is a 'cooley'. 'Big Daddy' is more common than 'dude' or 'man' when addressing somebody. "Hey Big Daddy, can you winch my jeep out of the cooley?" "What's up Big Daddy?" I'm not that big (5'9", 180), and I don't have any kids.

My wife's from Lafayette. When I met her, a few of our mutual friends had nicknamed her 'Swampy' for her Cajun-speak. She's very smart and educated (Civil Eng. w/P.E. license) and her writing is nearly flawless, but sounded especially funny here in Denver, where most people have a total lack of accent. Ten years of living here has gotten rid of most of it, but not all. Whenever we go visit her family, it takes me a few days to catch on.
A ditch is a 'cooley'. 'Big Daddy' is more common than 'dude' or 'man' when addressing somebody. "Hey Big Daddy, can you winch my jeep out of the cooley?" "What's up Big Daddy?" I'm not that big (5'9", 180), and I don't have any kids.

coulee' ;)

Cajun bodies of water in their heiarchy
ditch ( trenausse when located in the marsh )
coulee' ( anything between ~6' and ~20' in width
bayou ( anything between ~15' and ~100' in width
river ( anything wider than ~75') depending on application.

We're moving to Colorado very soon, in fact we'll be there this weekend and all of next week. It is weird seeing a body of water larger than a puddle where you can see the bottom, and they have added things like "brooks" and "creeks"

See, I can't even figure out how to spell what they're saying(or trying to say)!
It's kinda rare to see a body of water larger than a puddle here in general, unless you count the snow on the mountains.
Where in CO are you moving to, and why if you don't mind me asking? Just being nosy, so feel free to tell me to get bent if you want.
Let me know if I can lend a hand. Moving sucks, and long distance moves suck worse.

the game.

the_game.jpg

GREEN

POLITICALLY CORRECT

CULTURALLY DIVERSE

ECOSYSTEM

SUSTAINABLE

ORGANIC

LIBERAL

HATE CRIME

PRESS ONE FOR ENGLISH

PEACE

HYBRID

OBAMA

Well, if that ain't enough to stir up the pot, I'm not sure what is......

Oh god, that makes me want to stab things.

Or, as said by the husband, "We're pregnant." You two aren't pregnant, she's pregnant, and it's your fault. There's no 'we' in it.

To hear a guy say something like "we're pregnant" is merely a way of saying "my wife has a firm grip on my balls, -and I am no longer a man".

End of discussion......

That eggo is preggo home skillet

one of the black guys at work (i work sales at sears) was talking to some girl that just walked by us this is how the convo went;
"hey gurl, what yo name is?"
"latasha"
"aw, whur you be stayin at?"
"down town"
'aw got some money wit dat coogi jacket on"
all the rest of the guys laughed and walked away, so thats all i heard but it was ridiculous he jsut started talkin and wouldnt shut up and she was cool with it, and gave him her number.

[RANT]I hate when people refer to "conservative" or "fundamentalist" Christians or the "religious right". In my shop here, we're all right-wing conservatives. Only maybe 3 of us (out of 9) have any religion involved with that. And just because I'm a Christian who believes what the Bible says and believes it when the Bible says it needs no additions, subtractions, or changes doesn't somehow make me a less rational person who's opinions are less valid than a "liberal" Christian.
[/RANT]

:)
Oh, PS: I'm not going to argue back with anyone on this, as I don't want to turn this into a religious debate instead of the fun/rant thread it is.

Back