• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My front frame hack up and rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just the very front part of the frame is taller than the rest. 2x4 will work fine for me. I will add some material to the bottom wherever i decide to mount the steering box. I am moving the front end forward some.

Why would you half ass it & "add" to the bottom of the 2x4 to make up for the lack of using the proper material in the first place:huh: I was only suggesting 2x6 cause I did it... But hey it's your project so party on & guess you can't learn from others mistakes:lecture:

Just the very front part of the frame is taller than the rest. 2x4 will work fine for me. I will add some material to the bottom wherever i decide to mount the steering box. I am moving the front end forward some.

And i think ive decided to just go ahead and link the back instead of using the leaves for a while. I think the rear lower links will be 43" long. Im guessing 2" square lowers. Then round pipe upper wishbone. Need to get some factory xj front coils and slap them in there..

That's the dumbest idea I've ever heard. Why would you just slap on more material, and just add MORE weak spots in a relatively weak design as it is... :dunno:

Maybe you SHOULD take billy's advice since he's done it before. What's that quote about learning from other people's mistakes and progress?

I think the REAL reason you want to use 2x4 is because you've already got some laying around. You'll be re-doing the project later, trust me.

That's the dumbest idea I've ever heard. Why would you just slap on more material, and just add MORE weak spots in a relatively weak design as it is... :dunno:

Maybe you SHOULD take billy's advice since he's done it before. What's that quote about learning from other people's mistakes and progress?

I think the REAL reason you want to use 2x4 is because you've already got some laying around. You'll be re-doing the project later, trust me.

^ bolded portion^ That is great stuff!!

Why do you slam a short piece of 2x6 into a sheet metal sleeve to mount your steering box?
answer- cuz you want to do a whole bunch of not shit but move the stress point a little further back on the frame where the 2x6 stops...

Why do you add 1/4 wall plate to the outside of your unibody?
answer- cuz the unibody is weak/flexes and the outside/bottom needs re-inforced. But lets not worry about the inside... Why dont people do like the mustang guys do and cut the floor out right above the frame rails and drop in a piece of square inside the frame rails and weld it up???

Why do people build off the cherokee platform?
answer- cuz that's what they have..

And apparently billy and others have simply put a section of 2x6 a whopping 9.5" into the frame where it then starts to taper up and get smaller for bumper mounting reasons and again stiffen up the steering box area which i see it as simply transfering stress a few inches further down the frame...

but i'm an idiot.....

And no im not trying to start a pissing match, i want to show folks ideas about how to build stuff. I just dont see anything wrong with adding 2" to the bottom of my 2x4 for a steering box bolt. I mean im not running rebar link bars here....

Last edited:
^ bolded portion^ That is great stuff!!

Why do you slam a short piece of 2x6 into a sheet metal sleeve to mount your steering box?
answer- cuz you want to do a whole bunch of not shit but move the stress point a little further back on the frame where the 2x6 stops...

Why do you add 1/4 wall plate to the outside of your unibody?
answer- cuz the unibody is weak/flexes and the outside/bottom needs re-inforced. But lets not worry about the inside... Why dont people do like the mustang guys do and cut the floor out right above the frame rails and drop in a piece of square inside the frame rails and weld it up???

Why do people build off the cherokee platform?
answer- cuz that's what they have..

And apparently billy and others have simply put a section of 2x6 a whopping 9.5" into the frame where it then starts to taper up and get smaller for bumper mounting reasons and again stiffen up the steering box area which i see it as simply transfering stress a few inches further down the frame...

but i'm an idiot.....

Absolutely none of that ranting tirade made ANY sense... like... at all...

And no im not trying to start a pissing match, i want to show folks ideas about how to build stuff. I just dont see anything wrong with adding 2" to the bottom of my 2x4 for a steering box bolt. I mean im not running rebar link bars here....

Well, you're showing them the WRONG way... Think about what you just said, you don't see a problem with adding 2" to a 2x4 vs. just running a piece of 2x6... Sounds to me like you're trying to build a bridge over a puddle. Why over complicate it, give yourself more work, and in the end, have something that's structurally weaker than the easier method? To each his own I suppose :wow:

Here's a thought, get a 2x6 piece, but cut the bottom out up to taper it up to the 4" where it needs to be and weld up a piece of flat plate on the bottom.

I understood all of what "murdered" said.

his point is this;

he has what he has, and he has the ability to make what he has in material work, with the project that he has going on. it's likely not a question of spending money, it's more likely than not a question of him using what he has to show that you can achieve more than you'd think with less than you'd like.

I understood all of what "murdered" said.

his point is this;

he has what he has, and he has the ability to make what he has in material work, with the project that he has going on. it's likely not a question of spending money, it's more likely than not a question of him using what he has to show that you can achieve more than you'd think with less than you'd like.

Something like that.

But you know what, since it seems that my methods arent up to par with the booty fab police on here i will end this thread now and bid you farewell. Like i give a damn if anyone ever see's my pile of crap. I was simply trying to show a serious step up in drivetrain and powertrain can be done.

Peace out
Ya'll stay black.

Come on! The world won't end just becuase someone insulted your fab skills on the internet. I may not choose the exact methods you would, but it's still cool to watch it come together.

i agree. stop all this back and forth stuff and let the man build as he wants, if it breaks do what we all do and offer a hand in fixing it if he wants help.

and id like to see more as this thing comes together.

Typical of the left coast. There way is always the best. I hope you show us more of what you are doing. I for one like to see people try different things.

Someone with murder in their screen name should have thicker skin.........besides, jim is crazy, and you can't logic with crazy.

Keep the tech coming.

Typical of the left coast. There way is always the best. I hope you show us more of what you are doing. I for one like to see people try different things.
Typical of the left coast? What because we usually like to do things RIGHT? Is there something WRONG with building something stronger, cleaner, better? If there is you let me know, and I'll bow out of this thread right now... I'm sorry but when someone mentions "redneck engineering" they're referring to people like you, that thing hack jobs are ok.

Well said, although I'll correct that "there" for a, their. Just so them thar west coast boys don't start baggin' on our southerin' spellin'...:D.

I got bagged on plenty with my waggy 44's... The 'ol West Coast boys seem to think the only way is HP 44 and a rear 60. The MJ did fine with the new owner on all of this...

untitled.jpg

The point? Keep posting your project progress. Ignore those few ( There are only a few, most are good 'ol boys like ussin's....) on the West Coast that seem to think their way needs to be gold plated and hung on the walls of NAXJA... hello Jes... :D

Besides, they need to over build, out that way, to handle all those subs blasting that "Crap" music. Country music doesn't need all that thump, so our builds can handle what we use them for....

Last edited:
okay, took the front end apart and am putting it back together. Found out the front axle has been narrowed so now i have to take the rear axle's hubs back off and flip them around while pressing the wheel studs out and back in the other way. Damnit.
But i mocked the front axle up:
100_0874.jpg

the pinion is offset about 2" to the pass side but i'm hoping the driveshaft will clear the transmission since it will be at a slight angle..
And i still have to cut off that damn steering arm...

Everything is just semi mocked up. I mean the rear springs are just resting on the axle to give me an idea to build the rear 4 link from. The front axle is laying in front of the jeep, i have to completly remove the front frame and put 2x4 1/4" wall tube in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Typical of the left coast? What because we usually like to do things RIGHT? Is there something WRONG with building something stronger, cleaner, better? If there is you let me know, and I'll bow out of this thread right now... I'm sorry but when someone mentions "redneck engineering" they're referring to people like you, that thing hack jobs are ok.

I don't think hack jobs are ok, but I have seen a lot of things that have been thought of as "hack jobs" but ended up working fine. I for one am intrested in his build and not your opinion on what he is doing. Lets see your rig or the one you are refering to with 2.5 tons under it. Keep us posted on where you are going. IS there a cage/frame stiffening in it already?

I don't think hack jobs are ok, but I have seen a lot of things that have been thought of as "hack jobs" but ended up working fine. I for one am intrested in his build and not your opinion on what he is doing. Lets see your rig or the one you are refering to with 2.5 tons under it. Keep us posted on where you are going. IS there a cage/frame stiffening in it already?

The frame is plated with 3/8" angle from the front factory LCA mount to the rear spring hanger. The inside of the frame is plated with 3/16" from half way back. The front frame from firewall forward will be 2x4 rectangle steel. There will be 2x3 rocker skids incorporated to an exo cage made from 1 1/4 schd 40 pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back