• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My front frame hack up and rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.
dude your goin to have a very sick ride when its done.

keep on rockin

wishin i could find a set of 46" michelins to put on the 20 inch rockwell wheels that came with these axles.... But no luck. My friends got 2 sets of 52" Michelins but those are just waaaaay to big.

that in mind, i CANNOT wait to see the Rockwells in the xj.

are you linking the front, or going with springs?

Yeah, im goin to do a 3 link in the front with my 8" skyjacker coils. Cut the front fenders forward at the top of the fender flare line and move the axle forward a few inches. Im goin with some sort of redneck hydraulic steering, still working on that one, all i have now is an 8" cylinder so need orbital valve and hoses. The rear is still up for debate. Thinking of running the leafs for a while cuz i have them and i will be out no money and quicker finish time.

Anybody want to buy a Ford High Pinion 79 Dana 44 and a 10.25 sterling both 4.11 gears??? 8 lug front conversion, 3/4 ton outers for bigger brakes, Was completely rebuilt a few years ago. Just put them in and ride! Cheap!!

Starboard M said:
Interesting spring perches and steering arms on those duces.

Yeah. They were under an old chevy full size truck. Those perches are solid and that steering arm is actually the factory arm just cut and raised up.
I will be torching off all that crap....
Should start taking the rear axle down friday to flip the rear hubs and take the center section off to weld the spider gears, and will be removing the drum brakes too.
I'll post a few pics of the rear axle being torn down i guess...

What are you going to do for brakes?

Little progress this morning. Working on the rear axle, cut spring perches off and took all the hub and brake stuff off. Still battling the bolts that hold the drum brake backing plates onto the back of the hub!!
100_0860.jpg

100_0861.jpg

100_0863.jpg

100_0864.jpg

Axles, look to be about 1 5/8" didnt measure tho...

took the center section out, removed carrier and split it apart to get the spider gears out. Cleaned them up and started welding them to the cross pin....
100_0866.jpg

Finished welding them to the cross pin, still soaking the side gears in gas to get all the crap off of them. Then i will set them in there and start welding them and then filling in everything.

finished welding the spider gears all up, re installed the carrier and bull gear, put rear end back together, flipped the rear hubs around, beat out/ pressed new wheel studs back in. Now onto the front! Will be ordering a pinion brake kit for the rear. DIY4x4 makes it. Here is a pic or two:
rockwellpinionbrakeparts.jpg

rockwellpinionbrake2.jpg

Its cheap at only $112, and it uses 3/4ton chevy calipers of which i have 2 of them because i run 3/4ton chevy brakes on my dana 44 front end! So i can rob them off my front end and re-use them!

Last edited:
alrite so progress made today. Got the new wheel studs pressed in and stuff. Took my ford 10.25 out and stuck the rockwell under there:
100_0870.jpg

100_0868.jpg

100_0869.jpg

So i'm gonna have to either move the gas tank or get a fuel cell and put it in the cargo area. Still got to make spring perches and put my other blocks under the springs. The ones holding the spring up is just what i cut off the rockwells when i got them. And i used the wheels/tires that came on the rockwells to mock up everything, they are just a hair shorter than my 42" tsl's.

Ive got to buy some rockwell wheel centers from copperhead fab for my 15" wheels. Got to buy the pinion brake kit from DIY4x4, hunt down some u-bolts, And the rear is pretty much done. Driveshaft making will be fun!

Last edited:
Holy axle

ha yeah i have to put a traction bar on this bish. Gonna make a crossmember that will eventually be used for the upper links for my forthcoming 4 link in the rear...

And you know you like those bling rims and uni-directional military tires!

But back to the original starting point of this thread before i got so sidetracked- i will be buying the 2x4 steel this week for my front frame build.

Last edited:
Might want to go with 2x6 material on the front frame rail. I just finished repairing-redoing the steering box area on my junk & 2x4 did not have enough material to capture all the bolts in the steering box.
I only removed the rail on the drivers side from motor mount forward & leaving the outer skin of the uni-body rail there then plating over it on both sides. Major PITA job but very happy with the results..

Holly shit them are some monster axles!

ha yeah i have to put a traction bar on this bish. Gonna make a crossmember that will eventually be used for the upper links for my forthcoming 4 link in the rear...

And you know you like those bling rims and uni-directional military tires!

But back to the original starting point of this thread before i got so sidetracked- i will be buying the 2x4 steel this week for my front frame build.

Just the very front part of the frame is taller than the rest. 2x4 will work fine for me. I will add some material to the bottom wherever i decide to mount the steering box. I am moving the front end forward some.

And i think ive decided to just go ahead and link the back instead of using the leaves for a while. I think the rear lower links will be 43" long. Im guessing 2" square lowers. Then round pipe upper wishbone. Need to get some factory xj front coils and slap them in there..

Might want to go with 2x6 material on the front frame rail. I just finished repairing-redoing the steering box area on my junk & 2x4 did not have enough material to capture all the bolts in the steering box.
I only removed the rail on the drivers side from motor mount forward & leaving the outer skin of the uni-body rail there then plating over it on both sides. Major PITA job but very happy with the results..

Holly shit them are some monster axles!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back