• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My front frame hack up and rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is for any build, if you do things that are just going to break or could be done better in a different way then we should point it out, isnt that the point of posting a build thread?? I had my build thread for almost 2 years on OahuJeepers and got most of my ideas from the people that had done it before. I knew what I wanted to do, stated throwing out ideas and got lots of feedback, from that feed back I would decide what I could do better. If your just posting to show what you can build then make sure it is correct, we dont want some newbie thinking that is the way to do it.
I dont think anyone here has been to hard on Murdered Out? atleast considering what he is building and plans to build it with.
Maybe im just spoiled cause we had pipe benders and proper lessons on how to set things up in High School, or was it the awsome sheet metal training we had in prison? no it must have been all the time I spent REdoing most of the mods I did on my offroad toys.

MO, you can take offense if you want, but I really am interested in seeing this thing in action. Maybe you will prove us wrong?

i'm not taking offense. Its whatever, i mean i dont build trucks by buying pieces out of a book ya know. I'm not gonna sink a bunch of money in this thing just to tear it up and take it apart and scrap it. Which it is inevitable but fun for the time being...
I'll post more pics as i will be getting my 2" square and 2x4 steel this week and working on the new front frame..

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

got my 2x4 1/4" wall and 2" square 1/4" today. 20 ft of both. Man that 2x4 was heavy!
So i should start on that and have some pics for yall soon.
I wanted to get a stick of 1.5" square 1/4" wall thickness to use for my upper wishbone in the rear and my upper front arms but i didnt have enough money on me.
I got the 2x4 for $4 a foot so $80 for 20 ft.--- hook up on that. $100 off on that!!!
and 2" square for $92 for 20 ft.---- 30 dollars off. heh...

Last edited:
keep up the build.

I'm learning from your experience, so I say rock on.

as for the build...well, worst that can happen is you pull all of the parts off the body after it's mangled from having fun (ab)using it, as that's what it's designed for, you get a new body, and maybe make it a bit more elegent next time.

for now, if it works, you da man!

Damnnn, people are touchy touchy.

Murdered Out, if you post up, you should realize people will be giving your their thoughts on your build, no need to be yelling and screaming back at people for doing so. In the end, it is your build, so do it as you please, but know that when you decided to bring the post to a national forum, people are gonna give you their two cents......

the man is putting rocks under an xj in his driveway! not too many people have done this by using the stock chassis so give him a break! i might gave to swing down there sometime and see it in person...

the man is putting rocks under an xj in his driveway! not too many people have done this by using the stock chassis so give him a break! i might gave to swing down there sometime and see it in person...

Rockwells, front frame clip, Big Block Chevy, 4 link front and rear, driveway jones.

Dont get me wrong this is the first time ive really built something like this, ive done minimal fab work to get my old set up under my jeep but i mean i surpassed bolt on long ago. I think that happened when i plasma'd out the front frame rails????? Need to post a pic of that too...

Shoot yeah man. Might want to wait a bit tho, so at least you can see something more than some axles laying under a jeep!! Shouldnt be too long before i get the wheels made (rockwell centers)and start putting the front suspension together.
Oh and did you get those frame stiffeners?

Last edited:
100_0882.jpg

100_0881.jpg

100_0880.jpg

just in case youve never seen some steel before:
100_0883.jpg

yep. then to the inner fenderwell, then a tube from the firewall down to 2x4, then tie the 2x4 into the exo up thru the fender. But for right now yes just welded to the plate and innerfender.

Rockwells, front frame clip, Big Block Chevy, 4 link front and rear, driveway jones.

Dont get me wrong this is the first time ive really built something like this, ive done minimal fab work to get my old set up under my jeep but i mean i surpassed bolt on long ago. I think that happened when i plasma'd out the front frame rails????? Need to post a pic of that too...

Shoot yeah man. Might want to wait a bit tho, so at least you can see something more than some axles laying under a jeep!! Shouldnt be too long before i get the wheels made (rockwell centers)and start putting the front suspension together.
Oh and did you get those frame stiffeners?

ok ok more than just rocks!

yeah i got em - was in atlanta this weekend and brought em home to jackson... they are going to work great and really beef up the unibody with my HD engineering unibody stiffeners and cagework... thanks!

100_0886.jpg

100_0890.jpg

copperhead fab rockwell wheel centers=
100_0891.jpg

Made 1 rim last nite=
100_0888.jpg

100_0889.jpg

made another rim tonight, cut out 2 plates for the outside of my frame, welded 1 in place still got 3 more pieces to make and weld up for the front to be finished like i want it. The wheel centers i bought are working out great, it awesome to tell somebody you made your own rims.
I still am thinking of what color i want to spray paint my rim centers, i thought about orange but probably just goin to go black. Black centers with rusty chrome lips!!

So hopefully this week i can get all my plating finished up front. Then i will start on mocking up my front axle/springs/links.

finished making the last 2 wheels. Painted all the wheel centers black. Then just stopped working...

How do you get that plate perfectly flat and centered inside the rim? Wouldn't that cause some serious wobble and imbalance if it were off even a little bit...

Do you think the weld from the 2x4 to the plate will be strong enough? Even with the reinforcements you described, I can picture it flexing a lot which might lead to fatigue. The firewall isn't all that rigid.

Are you planning to drive this on the road?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back