• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mottino Wash Trail Report...........we'll maybe

I know of several groups who have run into BLM going into Mottino and it is no issue. I am not sure on the exact law, but I am with Richard on this one, if its a established road or trail, and not marked, you are good to go on BLM land.

chill on the name calling or Imma gonna break out my super duper laser mouse and do some clicking around. Lets keep this thread INFORMATIVE on facts and less on the baby drama.

chill on the name calling or Imma gonna break out my super duper laser mouse and do some clicking around. Lets keep this thread INFORMATIVE on facts and less on the baby drama.

What if I'd rather drag it off topic into absurd name calling?

What if I'd rather drag it off topic into absurd name calling?

I sort of enjoy the fact a simple trail report with pics I created turned into such a sh!tstorm.

I sort of enjoy the fact a simple trail report with pics I created turned into such a sh!tstorm.

Anything you create is followed by a sh&t storm :) followed by crackerbation...

Ya it seems to remind me of socal a years back, back when a few rowdy sob's actually gave a damn about actually wheeling, the occasional outburst was between friends and people could actually have fun and not worry about offending, before everyone and their neighbor thought they could fab because they had a welder, before the required 35 and 2 locker runs became the norm, when you could be invited on a run back channel and not called a elitist when you posted that you went and didn't advertise it.... I can go on but I'm sure there are better things to do than remember about the good days

I thought it was sh@t storm then crackernipples then crackerbation have I been doing it wrong this whole time?

Eek I think I've been doing it wrong :,( somehow u gotta fit blumpkins in the steps

I thought that blumpkins only applied when you used the hot pocket or dirty sanchez before crackerbation?
Dangit why are the rules so confusing
I think it varies, all ask cracker what the proper steps are

Ya it seems to remind me of socal a years back, back when a few rowdy sob's actually gave a damn about actually wheeling, the occasional outburst was between friends and people could actually have fun and not worry about offending, before everyone and their neighbor thought they could fab because they had a welder, before the required 35 and 2 locker runs became the norm, when you could be invited on a run back channel and not called a elitist when you posted that you went and didn't advertise it.... I can go on but I'm sure there are better things to do than remember about the good days

I loved those old day sh!tstorms but wait, I was involved in them

I don't think I was an elitist though.........but I wheeled with them .!. :D .!.

Good old days.......bad old days, whatever. When other people determine your fun you're in a sad shape. New trails are VERY few anymore, so it's nice when someone runs one and posts up about it. I can't be accused of that.........we run them and don't post up about it. :D

Not only did they know how to spot and drive they did trails on 33's and smaller tires that people now say 35+ or you can't go

And Richard your trail breaking runs I'm sure are a blast I'd love to ride along but there is no way in hades I'm taking my little old pos heep and following the buggies

I'd have to disagree. There are too many roads and routes to count all over the desert and mountains on BLM land that are not marked and are open, and are not in designated OHV areas like JV or Stoddard. Heck, you can be in JV or Stoddard and run out of the OHV area and the roads are not marked and are open. Unless it has changed, BLM has always allowed travel on established roads and in the bottom of washes, unless they are posted as closed.

Straight from the Barstow BLM office website

Off-highway vehicle (OHV) riding is one of the major recreational activities in Southern California. Public lands available for OHV use are designated as either "Limited Use" areas or "Open" areas. Vehicles are required to remain on designated routes of travel within all of the "Limited Use" areas; "Open" areas are contained within a formal OHV boundary and permit cross-country travel.

Now there is the letter of the law, spirit of the law and enforcement of the law. The BLM has how many 1000's of square miles to patrol. I know the route designation exisits, I have seen the route markers in the Ord Mountains and in the Randsburg Mountains and Jawbone area.

In my opinion, after paying attention to OHV access issues for almost 30 years, I doubt we will see anymore "open" riding as has occured in the past. All the land managing agencies have gone to or are in the process of some sort of Route Designation.

If you all are interested in maintain what we have then you better get involved. There is no excuse for not knowing what is happening on our public lands.

Last edited:
Because its true

If you all are interested in maintain what we have then you better get involved. There is no excuse for not knowing what is happening on our public lands.

Yes, but what is the definition of "designated"? A dirt road is an established and designated route without being signed. My issue is with the interpretation of a route needing to be signed to be an open or designated route. The whole issue of "open unless signed closed" or "closed unless signed open" has yet to be resolved. The old law is open unless signed closed on non-open OHV areas. Until the BLM makes hard rules, posts them, and enforces them, then we have to assume that "open unless signed closed" is the prevailing principle.

Take Calico for an example. All BLM land (except for the private sections), and no route designations at all. If you talk to a ranger they pretty much don't care where you go as long as you stay on existing tracks and in the bottom of the canyons. We need to be smart about this, but we can't let them win by assumption. The burden is on them to spell it out clearly exactly what they expect. We need to use what's there as a way to keep it in use, and not point fingers at each other over a stricter interpretation of the rules than the BLM is willing to take themselves.

JMHO

National Forest is very different from BLM. NF has gone through a very detailed route inventory program, with a very public route designation procedure with many opportunities for public comment, and has done much to both work with and educate users. BLM has done none (or very little) of that. Not that BLM won't in the future, but they haven't yet. If we treat BLM land like we must treat NF land we are severely cutting ourselves short as far as current and future opportunity go.

Back