• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mottino Wash Trail Report...........we'll maybe

Would a person be better off with lockers and 35's? I am locked front and rear on 33's, were taking this trip later this year..
thanks

With 33s with lockers you are fine.

1) IT IS ON BLM LAND. THEY DO NOT NUMBER TRAILS - THAT IS A NATIONAL FOREST THING. Generally speaking anything BLM that is not in a closure zone (like bighorn sheep land) is open. This would be treated the same way Stoddard or Johnson Valley are treated. If this trail were on national forest land, it would be illegal to run it.

Time to clear up some misconceptions. BLM land is basically broken up into three categories in respect to OHV use: OPEN, LIMITED, and CLOSED.

OPEN: You can drive ANYWHERE you want. These are areas like Johnson Valley OHV area, Stoddard Valley OHV area, Rasor Road OHV area, etc. I believe the only current areas that have the OPEN designation are the formally designated Off Highway Vehicle areas.

LIMITED: You can drive on designated routes only. If the route is not signed it is not considered an open route. Yes the BLM has a route designation system. For example the Ord Mountains and Rand Mountains have designated routes, you are limited to travel on those routes.

CLOSED: No OHV use allowed, vehicles must be licensed for the street and on designated routes(I'm not 100% sure on this in respect to the licensed part because I can't get on the BLM website at the moment) These are areas like the Rainbow Basin area north of Barstow.

In respect to Mottino, it is not a designated route, it is not in an OPEN designated area.

So, does this mean that I cannot do it with a 2" Budget Boost, 30's and a limited slip in the rear??
:dunno:

:spin1:

E

Off-roaders are the only ones I ever hear that from. We must have a complex.
Really, in the last couple years I've witnessed people who do not think much about off-roaders at numerous meetings including local city council(norco) county supervisor( san bernadino and riverside) district planning(phelan pinon hills CSD) and of all places at a meeting in big bear for the animal sanctuary/zoo (depends on who you ask what it is). There's a lot of unaware people that spew garbage about how all ohv use is destructive hazardous and even one nut job that said it was un constitutional
Then again I tend to show up to meetings when they interest me like land use issues etc so maybe that's why I've seen it.

Really, in the last couple years I've witnessed people who do not think much about off-roaders at numerous meetings including local city council(norco) county supervisor( san bernadino and riverside) district planning(phelan pinon hills CSD) and of all places at a meeting in big bear for the animal sanctuary/zoo (depends on who you ask what it is). There's a lot of unaware people that spew garbage about how all ohv use is destructive hazardous and even one nut job that said it was un constitutional
Then again I tend to show up to meetings when they interest me like land use issues etc so maybe that's why I've seen it.
Please keep me posted when there are meetings in this area. I would like to see what all the fuss is about.

What about me? Am I your friend too :anon:

Sounds like alot of bitching. Good on you for telling them what great people we are.

Sounds like alot of bitching. Good on you for telling them what great people we are.
I do what I can, its never much fun nor do I enjoy ignorant turds on either side talking smack when they are to lazy to seak out information for them selves.

And Avery you can buy my friendship it will only cost that pos mj ;)

I do what I can, its never much fun nor do I enjoy ignorant turds on either side talking smack when they are to lazy to seak out information for them selves.
;)

Uninformed and unaware are better words. The word ignorant is generally insulting. I'm sure those people at the meetings are nice people like us. Just need to be informed, and made aware.

Time to clear up some misconceptions. BLM land is basically broken up into three categories in respect to OHV use: OPEN, LIMITED, and CLOSED.

OPEN: You can drive ANYWHERE you want. These are areas like Johnson Valley OHV area, Stoddard Valley OHV area, Rasor Road OHV area, etc. I believe the only current areas that have the OPEN designation are the formally designated Off Highway Vehicle areas.

LIMITED: You can drive on designated routes only. If the route is not signed it is not considered an open route. Yes the BLM has a route designation system. For example the Ord Mountains and Rand Mountains have designated routes, you are limited to travel on those routes.

CLOSED: No OHV use allowed, vehicles must be licensed for the street and on designated routes(I'm not 100% sure on this in respect to the licensed part because I can't get on the BLM website at the moment) These are areas like the Rainbow Basin area north of Barstow.

In respect to Mottino, it is not a designated route, it is not in an OPEN designated area.

I'd have to disagree. There are too many roads and routes to count all over the desert and mountains on BLM land that are not marked and are open, and are not in designated OHV areas like JV or Stoddard. Heck, you can be in JV or Stoddard and run out of the OHV area and the roads are not marked and are open. Unless it has changed, BLM has always allowed travel on established roads and in the bottom of washes, unless they are posted as closed.

Back