• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moab June 2010

Anyone figure out dates for this little get-together yet? I am interested in going out, but need to get vacation on the calendar at work sooner rather than later!

i'm taking the entire month of june off, and was planning to go whenever we had enough other people who could go. i'm down for the whole month, though. i took off school, work, and the wifey knows i'm gonna be gone, so i'm open to whenever you guys have time. i personally don't want to drive straight there and straight back, but see some of our beautiful country on the way. i could, however, go straight there and slow ride on the way home, if somebody needs to haul arse back to the SEC.

still like June 18-19 as departure date, can we get a consensus on departure date? Once date is confirmed, we need to get list of participants......and coordinate the group.

Let's make this happen.

i can prolly do those dates, but i was kinda wanting to go a little earlier than that, if possible. it's gonna start getting real hot the longer we wait, and in case there are any setbacks like a breakdown or something, i HAVE to be back in tennessee by july 1. i'll be taking summer classes that i can't afford to miss out on.

Obviously it's more fun to wheel in your own rig, but for anybody considering flying out / renting, here's what I found.

You can get a lifted Rubicon TJ for a week for $1000 from http://cliffhangerjeeprental.com/

Normally I'd fly to Vegas or SLC or Grand Junction and rent a car / enjoy the scenic drive but I don't want to pay for a rental car that'll sit for a week in Moab. I called and for one person, a round trip flight between Denver and Moab airport is ~ $223. They said they have details on http://Flygreatlakes.com. They have a regular flight between the two airports so it's not the big bux of a charter.

Cliffhanger Jeep Rental will pick you up & drop you off from Moab Airport for free.

Here is my suggestion

June 11--5:00 pm meet at a central location to caravan. Leave about 6:00 from Nashville and go to the other side of St. Louis
June 12--Leave 8 am CT and get into Denver area about 8 pm MT
June 13--Leave 8 am from Denver and get into Moab about 2:00 pm. Set up camp and take some afternoon runs
June 14-15--wheel all day
June 16--Leave Moab at noon and get into Denver about 6:00 pm
June 17--Wheel in the Denver area...Hook up with the Colorado NAXJA folks???
June 18--Depart for home
June 19--arrive home

Regardless of dates, I still would need to get the time off...

I wouldn't be trailering, so I would want to run more of the mild stuff and taking in the scenery.

Here is my suggestion

June 11--5:00 pm meet at a central location to caravan. Leave about 6:00 from Nashville and go to the other side of St. Louis
June 12--Leave 8 am CT and get into Denver area about 8 pm MT
June 13--Leave 8 am from Denver and get into Moab about 2:00 pm. Set up camp and take some afternoon runs
June 14-15--wheel all day
June 16--Leave Moab at noon and get into Denver about 6:00 pm
June 17--Wheel in the Denver area...Hook up with the Colorado NAXJA folks???
June 18--Depart for home
June 19--arrive home

Regardless of dates, I still would need to get the time off...

I wouldn't be trailering, so I would want to run more of the mild stuff and taking in the scenery.

I'm liking this idea too. I would run the milder trails as well and take in the scenary. Someone mentioned earlier documenting this trip with pictures/vids/written commentary and maybe sending it to JP mag or something like that.

any way we could plan for more than a day and a half in moab? i might convoy up there, stay a couple days, then solo it back home. i don't even drive to memphis to stay a day and a half, let alone drive across country for it. that just kinda seems like it would suck for something i've wanted to do since i was 12 to be over that quick. it's like losing your virginity, and not getting to cuddle afterward.:(
edit: just saw that it's 2 full days, but still. i think i wanna stay just a little longer. maybe one or two more days?

I was seeing it as 2 1/2 days--maybe 2 3/4 in Moab...the afternoon of arrival (13th) and then 2 full days (14 & 15). Maybe even a short run before a noon departure for Colorado (16th) This was just an idea.

I would think the scenery and driving conditions in Moab will be pretty much the same after the 3rd day of driving it and, given the opportuity to do something in the Rocky Mountains, I would want to take advantage. As much as I want to drive Moab, I am very intrigued by the Colorado trip reports I have read on NAXJA. Kill 2 birds with one stone!

This outline would give us 3 1/2 days of wheeling in 2 different locales, but sure, we could certainly stay longer in Moab, or we just caravan out as a group and leave it up to each individual to find their way home.

how about your plan, which sounds great to me, don't get me wrong, but maybe make it one day longer, and spend that day in moab? if you're takin off work now, one more day wouldn't kill you would it?

Eric, I think your reading the schedule wrong. Notice the 13th and 14th are on the same line. I read that as one day at first also and thought you might have done the same.

Back