• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moab June 2010

i would absolutely love to go to MOAB,,, ever since i got into wheeling i have wanted to go but money and time my friends... and i dont have either for a trip like this right now... maybe when my kids are old enough to enjoy it and my wife will go camping with me ill pack them all up and head out west but im guessing it will be another 10-15 years before that ever happens...

You guys are killing me. I'd love to go. Been thinking about going since I was there in '96. BUT, already have a trip planned to SoCal with the family in June, and We haven't been there in 6 years...
I'm thinking rent an RV, trailer the XJ, and drive 3 days out and back. It would be a blast, but I don't think we'd all survive the drive out, wheeling all week, and the drive back in an XJ...some one would need to die...:scared:
I'm planning on likely a 10-14 day trip when we go. But won't be making the trip in June 10. Maybe the next trip...:doh:

You guys are killing me. I'd love to go. Been thinking about going since I was there in '96. BUT, already have a trip planned to SoCal with the family in June, and We haven't been there in 6 years...
I'm thinking rent an RV, trailer the XJ, and drive 3 days out and back. It would be a blast, but I don't think we'd all survive the drive out, wheeling all week, and the drive back in an XJ...some one would need to die...:scared:
I'm planning on likely a 10-14 day trip when we go. But won't be making the trip in June 10. Maybe the next trip...:doh:
DUDE! you are the reason i even want to wheel out west! i saw the pictures of your sammy in offroad adventures,and have wanted to play out there ever since! the pictures i saw were one of my first tastes of desert wheelin! i really wish you could make it, man....

The trip out there is a 2 day trip...(just drive time) 23 1/2 hours, 1525 miles from Nashville to Moab...and it is all interstate.

Day 1---If a convoy was to leave Nashville, say at 5 am, you could be to Hays, KS by about 7:00 pm....roughtly 14 hours.

Day 2---That leaves about 11 hours to pull ...however, we would have to cross the Continental Divide west of Denver and the mountain driving could slow us down. Weather is an issue even as late as May,. but June/July should be fine. Leave Hays at 7 am CT, get to Moab about 5 pm MT to set up camp and have a cold beer. The mountains is why I would consider doing an extra 4 hours on day 1, since it is all Missouri and Kansas for the most part...flat as can be.

2 days up, 3 days in Moab, 2 days back. The trip can be done in 7 days.

Sounds like you've done this before.

MY only issue with a trip like this is that I would hate to go out there, break down, and spend a day trying to fix something or get a part. It would be cool to rent something though. Surely you can get a trail rig for the day.

I have always been a bit divided regarding a Moab trip.

While I would LOVE to wheel my own rig in Moab, the cost and the time on the road gives me pause. To fly out, rent a rig, and fly home, saves a ton of time.

The downsides to that are,
1. I would imagine that the "rollover deposit" at the Jeep Rental Store, will destroy any cost savings, ie. you can only run the puss trails.... why bother going.

2.The loss of the pride you will feel by not wheeling our own beloved rigs that we spend so much time and money on.

I tried to plan a trip some time ago, back for the 25th Anniversary NAXJA event. This is some of the info from back then.....

The Hard Struggler
user_online.gif

NAXJA Forum User

Re: Trip to Moab!
Ok folks here it goes. Feel free to comment good bad or otherwise.I'm using Atlanta as a jumping off point for mileage, so make ajustments as needed. Atlanta to Moab is aprox. 1800 miles one way 3600 round trip. 3600 at 12 to 15 mpg (using my XJ as mileage variable) = 240 to 300 gallons at $3.10 per gallon = $744 to $930. 3600 miles at average 55 mph (counting fuel stops and traffic not unreasonable) = aprox. 65.5 hours so 33 hours each way.
Personally i've got about 12 hours in me at a stretch behind the wheel, so figure at least one night at a hotel $50- $60. I figured around $1000 for there and back. http://www.magiccarpetautotransport.com/ is the best of about 8 different transporters I called. The quote was $13,000 there and back with a max of 10 XJs ,thats $1300 each. There was a one cheaper, but I didn't get a nice soap and water feel from them. http://travel.travelocity.com/flight...28482982082008 has flights for about $600 +or- depending on days.
So $1900 for transportation there and back , more $ , yes, untill you count the TIME, the flight is only 5 hrs vs 33hrs driving. More time wheeling, less time on the hwy. Drive time will turn a 6 day wheeling trip into 10 days off work. If you can swing it ,10 days off work is great , but I can't. I can leave Atlanta at 6:15am and be in Moab at 10:00am with my rig meeting me at the airport:clap:. Now this only works $ wise if you are one man to a Jeep, families air fare will of course be more. Lets talk about it!

The logistics of the above post I see now are almost impossible!
I feel the best compromise is 4 friends to a tow pig and a trailer that will carry at least 2 rigs.
Split the fuel 4 ways, drive without stopping, except for fuel, pee stops, and hope for no breakdowns.

Last edited:
MY only issue with a trip like this is that I would hate to go out there, break down, and spend a day trying to fix something or get a part. It would be cool to rent something though. Surely you can get a trail rig for the day.

That is why I think I'd trailer...if it breaks, you can still get home. And I'm pretty sure I don't want to spend that much time in this XJ...the first one wasn't as noisy nor vibrated as much as this one. I'll get back there...someday:wave:

I like the trailer idea. Anyone planning on going have a trailor? I've had several ideas pop in my head. One was thechief's idea of flat towing. My recent idea was renting a uhaul car hauler and rent a truck to tow it. That's probably a very expensive idea though.

yeah, i was thinking that the uhaul and truck would be expensive. as for towing yours with the waggy, i figured flat towing-rv style would save us the extra weight of a trailer, and would only put about 4,000 miles on your truck, so it wouldn't be like doubling the mileage or anything. we could build a tow bar to work with your bumper, unlock the steering column, and throw the tcase in nuetral! i have some magnetic lights that just plug in to the trailer pigtail, and those would be your taillights for the ride up there. then we coul go halfsies on gas, and hopefully save some money! it may not be the safest thing to do, though, and my 20 year old jeep might not appreciate it.

2 days of travelling is very optimistic. You'd be much better off planning for 3 days, even if the last day is only 8 hours.

There are some pretty hairy places up and down through the mountains. You should really consider towing other vehicles with vehicles designed to tow.

Gas and food stops take time and even though we'd all like to think we're iron men, you're just not going to be motivated enough to climb back in after a formula 1 pit stop and put the hammer down after 10 hours in your jeep.

If you break while you're there and you have to drive the jeep home, there are plenty of autoparts stores. They know they're the only game in town and you're going to pay for it. Keep that in mind.

Good luck. I'm still paying for our moab trip. It was worth it, but there's not a chance I'd do it without a tow vehicle from the SEC. We went 12 hours north to ohio to pick up my brother and his jeep, then west for 22 hours to Moab, in a very plush f250 lariat and still couldn't wait to get out.

Edit: There are people on nc4x4 that will rent their trailer to you for a much better rate than you'll get at a uhaul place. I'm sure if you ask around you can find one, then you just need to find a tow rig and you're set. Drive a jeep, tow a jeep, hope that only one of them breaks while you're there.

Last edited:
yeah, i was thinking that 3 days there and 3 days back would be a lot more manageable. i'm taking the whole month of june off, just in case;) as far as paying for it, i've been saving for over a year now, so i think i'll be ok. also, since i'll be in a vehicle that is starting to get rare around tennessee, i'll be doing a lot of bypasses, so i can keep my pristine quarter panels, rockers, and fenders lookin good.
EDIT: i also plan to camp out just about every night. i might pay for a hotel one or two nights, but this trip for me will be about rugged individuality, like old school cowboys.(not the gay ones) i have a jeep, a tent, and i know how to make a fire. i'll even bring some firewood, since i doubt it will be easy to find in moab. i figure the trip will prolly be a couple hunnert dollars cheaper that way.

Last edited:
Careful on the firewood. There are some states that will not let you bring wood from other states because of insect infestations.

Travelling with tenessee wood across 6 states to utah might cost you a lot of money if you get caught. I would read up on the laws first.

last time i went, i did it in 1, non-stop, 24hr (exactally) day, 2 drivers. it was brutal and would'nt want to do it again. the drive back we did in 2 days and is very easy, with 2 drivers. having a good CB in the truck prevented many tickets.
whatever the cost, if you love this sport, it's worth it.

If we get dates settled (which for some people will be crucial for work vacation requests), and those dates work into my schedule, and I can make the trip, I would be willing to help out with the logisitics.

I am a professional travel planner and put together about 100 trips a year for preformed groups numbering anywhere from 30-300.

First, like I said, let's get some dates!

Back