• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moab June 2010

I'm interested if it is towards the end of June...would likely be interested in leaving first thing in the morning Saturday morning, June 19th, from somewhere in GA/TN, and get out there sometime late Sunday...get 3 extra hours on the way out. I'll be driving my 2500 Avalanche towing my 98 Cherokee. As a result, I could carry some passengers. If you haven't ever experienced the passes in Silverton/Ourie/Durango, Colorado, it is worth 2 days and a night in the woods.

WOOOOT! you guys have NO IDEA how excited i am about this trip! i will most certainly be going, even if i have to sell organs to afford it! i would like to make it a fairly long trip, allowing 3-4 days there, 3-4 days back, and whatever i can afford while i'm there. i want to do hells revenge, and possibly golden spike, and again, whatever else i can while i'm there! i want to take lots of pictures, and camp just about every night, to save as much money for fuel as possible!:D if all goes well, i'll be taking a grand wagoneer, which tends to be a little thirsty. everybody on here is more than welcome to join in, and possibly we could meet some of our western NAXJA brethren!

If you want to get the most bang for the buck on metting locals you should do this trip in August when they do the Fall event. You will not see more NAXJA people anywhere at anytime from what I have heard.

Depending on where I am, and if I have a job anytime soon I could be interested if you don't mind a softie jeep along for the ride. The Box and I just got back from NV. My 2 cents is we went out 70 (through Kansas and Denver) and it was slow past Denver (obviously) Was spinning the tires doin 50, but a cummins will do that, anyways. We went up 191 to Provo so just past Moab. We drove about 36hrs straight and it was not a whole lot of fun, mainly the sleeping in the back of a 3/4ton. 2 Days would make it alot more managable.

Depending on the vehicles going/towing you can add atleast 3-4hrs on top of what google says for food and gas stops. But other than that in June it should be a good drive, just slow up the passes and canyons, it gets up to 10,700'

Pretty drive though.

i haven't dreamed of going to windrock or summertown since i was 12;)
my cousin drew wants to ride with, and he says we should take I-40, as I-70 is rather boring. i'm not necesarily wanting to just see moab, i wanna see as much as i can on the way there and back! i'm not opposed to driving 4 days, wheeling 3-4 days, then driving 2-3 days back....

I would say its not the destination, its the journey, but in this case it would be both... for me at least. I dont need no stinkin' trailer. But then again, I dont wheel quite as hard as some. The scenery there and on the way would be the main thing for me!

~James

good man! you said it for me right there! will you be convoying with us then? it sounds like you really get the spirit of this trip for me! i will not be trailering my rig, and i won't be wheeling her very hard, either. i think i will keep a journal, take a buttload of pictures/video, and send it all in to jp or something like that when we get back. i can't wait to get my waggy back and start getting the new motor broken in, and gettin the final touches together!:clap::patriot::cheers:

I would say its not the destination, its the journey, but in this case it would be both... for me at least. I dont need no stinkin' trailer. But then again, I dont wheel quite as hard as some. The scenery there and on the way would be the main thing for me!

~James

amen...the journey...Yeh, and the scenery there is pretty cool...I haven't seen the scenery on this side....I came in from the West the only time I've been there. And, having wheeled in SoCal, NorCal (missed the Rubicon...don't ask), Maryland, Mass/Connecticut, Maine, TN, and Bama....I'd have to say that Moab is pretty special....if given the opportunity...I'd say you gotta see it.:wave:

i can't wait to get my waggy back and start getting the new motor broken in, and gettin the final touches together!:clap::patriot::cheers:

Have they even started working on your engine? Your Waggy has been sitting in the same spot for some time now.

Last edited:
i don't know... i have been meaning to go check up on it. i told the guy i wouldn't be able to pay for it before mid january, since christmas tapped me out. i'm guessing that's why he hasn't started yet. have you seen the ragged out waggy next to it? i think the guy's gonna build both of the motors i took him and put one in mine, and one in the stock one. he offered to do the job really cheap, as in the parts are gonna be 75% of the bill, and he's givin me a pretty good warranty on it, so i'm pretty excited.

If you stop in Hays, KS there is a Natural History Museum there that's pretty cool.

My girl and I drove to Hays, KY once just to go to that museum.

If you stop in Hays, KS there is a Natural History Museum there that's pretty cool.

My girl and I drove to Hays, KY once just to go to that museum.

so there's a natural history museum in kansas that you and your girl went to kentucky to see?

Yes.

4212396738_8c4bc48865_b.jpg

Back