• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How ill-prepared are you?

I get a horrible whine out of the rear ends on both of my Jeeps intermittent. When it gets real bad I drop the kids off and it goes away.

I need to do engine mounts, possibly transmission mount, and fix the gaping exhaust leak.

I just need to rebuild the CV of my driveshaft.

I need to fix the engine miss (got an injector harness today from the JY), do some electrical repair (headlights, tailights, dash lights are handy items), install water temp gauge, and install new fan controller. There are about 3 million other minor things to do as well, but nothing that will keep me from coming.

Then I need to pack all my camping gear in there, in some sense of order.

David Bricker / SYR

I need to keep making progress on getting my alternator swapped out (messing with it for less than an hour in the evenings after work before it gets dark). Hoping that resolves the lack-of-charging issue (pretty likely, as alternator's putting out 11.8v instead of 13.8v).

I will replace my sway bar bushings while skid's off, and then install "new" uncrumpled stock skid. I need to drill holes in "new" skid for the locator pins for my JKS discos.

Maybe hose down my engine compartment... I couldn't find a green charging system wire, because it was brown...dust coated... Bad Carol!! My Jeep takes "being a dirty girl" to a whole new level...

I get a horrible whine out of the rear ends on both of my Jeeps intermittent. When it gets real bad I drop the kids off and it goes away.

I need to do engine mounts, possibly transmission mount, and fix the gaping exhaust leak.

Transmission mount and exhaust happy now! Plan to swap out the engine mounts this coming weekend and drive the pig to work Monday.

Swapping rear leaf bushings this weekend. Did a tie rod OTK flip last weekend and need to do some welding on the driver's side modified swaybar mount to make it more streetable. Then again, I might get lazy and just do without.

Well, I got the alternator out, & in spite of it only reading 11.8v ON the Jeep, it tests fine (14+v) on the machine. Dumped about 1/2 cup of dirt out of the works while removing it... THAT might've had something to do with it.

I will clean it out, reinstall it, check if it increases battery voltage when running, see if system charges. If not, I'll be doing some work on the positive battery cable, I'm sure.

I'm very grateful to all my friends whose brains I've picked over this...

Ok, the list is shorter now that I can get the jeep in the garage.

Here's what's left to do:

Remove rear 8.25
Remove front beam axle.
Install drop brackets new front arms
Install front D30
Install Rear D44
Remove 2wd Transmission
Install 4wd transmission.
Install Skids
Install bumpers
Install winch
patch rust hole in floor pan
paint floor
install radio

I'm sure there's more that I'm forgetting.

Mark

weld in the rear stiffeners and the new cross members. DONE
Get the front and rear shocks re-valved.
Wire up rock lights.
Hook up breather hoses all around.
Possibly rebuild leaf spring mounts... DONE

In preperation for the Ventura Offroad Show the this weekend the jeep has been getting a lot of TLC.

• New Radiator
  • New Windshield
  • New window Trim
  • New LED Roof Bar
  • and a bunch more...

bah, they really need to fix the delays here. :( Double post...

Last edited:
Ok, the list is shorter now that I can get the jeep in the garage.

Here's what's left to do:

Remove rear 8.25
Remove front beam axle.
Install drop brackets new front arms
Install front D30
Install Rear D44
Remove 2wd Transmission
Install 4wd transmission.
Install Skids
Install bumpers
Install winch
patch rust hole in floor pan
paint floor
install radio

I'm sure there's more that I'm forgetting.

Mark

I thought I had long list!!

build a DIY front and rear bumper from JCRoffroad installed them.
Install a new CB and i should be good to go.
Just finished up a locker and chromo axle install

Well, so far finished up the new lift and front air bumps, along with steering and front locker, winch, bumper, fenders and hid headlights and new MTRs.

Now all thats left is installing the new CB since the old fell death to a little elec fire, finishing up the final touchs on the lift and dialing in the bumps and fabbing up the front shock resi mounts, getting the new LED lights mounted and wired, and get some testing this this weekend out at coral canyon for the socal roundup.

Mines almost done!!
0487B3FF-3203-45AE-A22B-B3E97D6B61F3-463-000000EFC16C8E3A.jpg

Just need to...
Figure out how to build bastard leaf pack
Install rear axle
Figure out rear breaks
Rear shocks
Bolt down seats
Install 4 point harnesses
Install lights
Build transfer case skid
Plate boat sides
Reinstall CB
Remove windshield
Primer body panels that remain
Start.... Hope it still runs
Test drive
Drink beer
Show up to socal fest

Oh, an all this with a 60 hour a week carrier...

:eeks1:

I've got to get my mid arms installed + longer brake lines
Oil change
Quick maintenance check.
Hopefully complete my hitch rear tire carrier.

I got everything done that needed doing, except for replacing the effing front Ox locker cable. I cheaped out and tried to repair the damaged section with some heater hose instead of replacing the whole thing. It didn't work and now I'm out of time. So I'll be wheeling with a locked rear end only.

Well did a shake down run this weekend out at socal roundup in corral canyon, all went well, other than a busted out rear upper shock bushing. Looking forward to this weekend!

Well, mine is 4wd now. Still need to bleed the brakes, put the wheels/tires on and throw the shafts in. Looks like I'm not going to have time to get the armor on, or get the bumpers on. So I'll stick to the easy trails like John Bull or Holcomb Creek. Wife is going to be driving it. So much left to do, so little time.

Back