• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cage construction

I used the plasma cutter to make the brackets this morning. I'm thinking it would be nice to have a roller bearing ring around the tip of the plasma cutter. It would roll along a guide better and that would leave cleaner cuts.

I was making progress....until I needed to drill out the control arm mounts on the axle. What a....ummm.....bitch!
I also need to channel the frame rails in order to clear the arms. They will end up being located above the lower edge of the rails, but it will take some work to rebuild the 'frame' when I get the clearance I want.
Buggybuild.jpg

One step forward, three steps back!

dscn3159.jpg

I started fabbing the cross member mounts for my lower control arms then (luckily) noticed the new misalignment spacers are different than the old ones. Unfortunately I will need to find more of the originals (on left) because the front axle's mounts were designed around them.

What are their dimensions? The ones I just built my steering with are 2" wide when installed in the 3/4 heim.

I've never seen any made that much differently.

Just another day of cutting and grinding....I'm closer than I was yesterday.

I'm thinking about relocating the back shocks. Dave's comment got me doing some research and the air shocks are not fans of big angles.

Would you unwrap the parts before taking pics? Thanks. Nice kitchen.

Being that this IS the Advanced Fab forum, I figured most of us already would know what it all is.
But, I will unwrap tomorrow and start putting it all together, then post a picture of the completed
set up.

Thanks, I built that kitchen myself.
:D

And Scott, Bonnie has gotten used to my UPS shippments getting unloaded on the island.
As long as I get it cleaned up before work tomorrow.

There are no cats or laundry in those parts pics :rolleyes:

You fail at taking pictures, please conform to usual Adv Fab builds around here :D

(green beer made me say this)

There are no cats or laundry in those parts pics :rolleyes:

You fail at taking pictures, please conform to usual Adv Fab builds around here :D

(green beer made me say this)

I have some standards you know. I own no cats, and the laundry is either in my basket or the laundry room, not the garage or kitchen.
Although my wonderful wife is getting tired of the clothes I go through working in the garage (big piles every other day it seems.)

Here we go. This is just about full extension. The control arm mount is on the crossmember (above the frame line.) The fit was tight enough that in order to be able to bolt on the control arm and clear the drive shaft a 2" through shaft had to be installed.
(Ignore the hardware, the crossmember will be mounted with four 1/2" bolts per side, and nothing below the frame line.)
dscn3202.jpg

So, this is what I've been working on the last couple of weeks. In order to use the control arms the way I wanted (same size at the lower rears) I need to do some frame clearance.
controlarm1.jpg

Controlarm.jpg

At full stuff.
Not a lot of extra room and since we all know these buggies never have any frame flex and the control arms will never have any deflection either, there will be just enough clearance.
:D

Back