• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cage construction

Sweet rig! Subscribed. :D

dscn3198.jpg

Better?

Seriously, that tile work is sexy. :loveu:

2011-04-11_07-28-04_891.jpg

Cross member with three link mounts and oil pan skid. I need to build a transfer case skid. Debating on whether to have it all as a single unit or build it as two seperate pieces.

Rick.

It looks like it only mounts on the side of the frame rails. If that is so, I wouldn't feel comfortable having it only mounted there.

Cross member with three link mounts and oil pan skid. I need to build a transfer case skid. Debating on whether to have it all as a single unit or build it as two seperate pieces.

:thumbup:

Id say build the t-case skid as a seperate unit. I plan to build a seperate second crossmember/t-case skid so I can drop that outta the way to access the t-case but be able to leave the tranny/suspension alone and in place.

The sides of the rails are plated. Its not like they are mounted to the stock thickness metal there. I may add a saddle on the back two bolts, but it wouldn't do much good unless I plated the inside of the frame rail too.
:dunno:

The sides of the rails are plated. Its not like they are mounted to the stock thickness metal there. I may add a saddle on the back two bolts, but it wouldn't do much good unless I plated the inside of the frame rail too.
:dunno:

Use a hole saw and drill the outside of the framerail. Put the exact same size tube in there and weld it in place. Then add material to your crossmember and sandwich the frame rail.

Use a hole saw and drill the outside of the framerail. Put the exact same size tube in there and weld it in place. Then add material to your crossmember and sandwich the frame rail.

Still would need to plate the inside as well. I was just out there welding up the old 3/8" holes on both the cross member and the frame rail. Now I need to drill and tap 1/2" holes. I hope there is enough room so I don't have to drill and tap welded material....

Still would need to plate the inside as well. I was just out there welding up the old 3/8" holes on both the cross member and the frame rail. Now I need to drill and tap 1/2" holes. I hope there is enough room so I don't have to drill and tap welded material....

If you do it that way the inside would not need to be plated.

Sketchier is the fact that his crossmember looks like it is reduced down to a piece of 4" wide 1/4" plate with a 1/2" lip on one side.

My crossmember mounts on the inside of the framerails with just a pair of bolts on either side, but they are 3/4" diameter bolts.

If you do it that way the inside would not need to be plated.

or to spread the load you could add "weld washers" to the inside of the frame around the through tubes.

I like this crossmember, I'm building mine out of something a little heavier, but I may merge this one with what I'm doing.

I may be looking at it wrong, but is your uca mount like a foot high off the crossmember and welded to the LCA tabs?

Yup.....:confused1

I may be looking at it wrong, but is your uca mount like a foot high off the crossmember and welded to the LCA tabs?

got a better pic?

Its 7" above the lower mount and is part of the lower control arms mount.
Its difficult to tell without any references, but the material is 5"x5/16" plate, with an 1 3/4" lip.

Last edited:
My 2 cents : your idea to move the crossmember fasteners to the side of the frame is good. Puts the fastener failure mode to shear instead of tension. I would recommend you put a sleeves in the frame ( unless I missed that you already did). My inside frame rails are double walled from the factory about 3 inches either side of the factory crossmember bolt holes, plenty enough to weld to. If you make the sleeves slightly wider than the frame, you will be trying to crush the sleeve, not the frame when you tighten the bolting. My sleeves are 0.5 ID and 1.0 OD. I personally like the factory bolt holes for side to side and front to back restraint and retained them ( after tapping to 7/16). If you look at my pics you will also see I tied the front crossmember to the welded in rear crossmember too for front to back restraint. My wife says I over build stuff so take that into account. Anyway, here is a link to the pics for the frame and crossmember project currently in progress if you are interested. There are lots of pics, the ones of the frame sleeves are around #34 to 48. I certainly think you are doing a good job on your build. Good luck and I will keep following your progress.
http://chattacuda.zenfolio.com/p938238263

Last edited:
Unfortunately the current cross memeber was suposed to be a mock up. Once I was finished with it the intent was to build it from the ground up in a more solid fasion. But....I need to finish the damn project, so it is likely to stay put until it fails or I have enough time to build another.

Unfortunately the current cross memeber was suposed to be a mock up. Once I was finished with it the intent was to build it from the ground up in a more solid fasion. But....I need to finish the damn project, so it is likely to stay put until it fails or I have enough time to build another.

'temporary solution' should be the name of your rig

:confused:

Did something change? :D

Back