• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cage construction

shocktowers.jpg

Shock towers are completed. Waiting for control arms and steering...

Jump this, I can make this for you no problem. The only issue is laser time would be out a few weeks.... But I could even have a full skid and control arm mounts cut up, ready for you to weld where you desire.

Just a thought.

Crossmember.jpg

This is what I need. Anyone know who might be able to fab up another one?
What I had decided to do is have my front lowers the same length as the back lower control arms so I'd only need one spare (36" eye to eye.)
What that ends up doing is having the mounts equal with the stock cross member. Although I have already built a strong, flat belly, cross member, there is no protection for the t-case or tranny (yet.)
If I can find something like this all I'd need to do is add the control arm mounts and it would be done.

Jump this, I can make this for you no problem. The only issue is laser time would be out a few weeks.... But I could even have a full skid and control arm mounts cut up, ready for you to weld where you desire.

Just a thought.

A good thought it is! I'll have some mounts built up soon, but I'm looking for more protection for the tranny and transfer case.
Send a PM and talk some numbers.

Thanks for your time!

Crossmember.jpg

This is what I need. Anyone know who might be able to fab up another one?
What I had decided to do is have my front lowers the same length as the back lower control arms so I'd only need one spare (36" eye to eye.)
What that ends up doing is having the mounts equal with the stock cross member. Although I have already built a strong, flat belly, cross member, there is no protection for the t-case or tranny (yet.)
If I can find something like this all I'd need to do is add the control arm mounts and it would be done.

I have one of those.

Its bent.

dsc_0545.jpg

Someday I'll straigthen it and reenforce it.

I'm planning on running some 1.5x1.5x.120 box on the leading and following edge to add bending strength.

Last edited:
Just run some 1X1X1/4 angle on the leading and trailing edges , it is stronger in the ^ position than square tube and stich welded it 2 inches every 4 inches and will sit lower giving more room/ clearance

if you want you can call me rick and we can chat

Agreed, I have cut some pretty good straight lines with an angle grinder... it's all in patience, doing a few real light passes to get the cut started with a very steady hand. Did some leaf spring plates from 1/2" stock that are damn near perfect.

Cut off for sure can be very striaght.

Plasma cutter with a guide is nice with a guide as well with more clean up though.

Angle grinder + cutoff wheel. That's how I did all my brackets; here's what's left.

4654868783_4f39fa733c_b.jpg

Pretty easy to cut nice straight lines that way.

April says spray paint it flat black, sling some paint at it from a distance, make a stand and list it on Ebay as "Abstract Art". Starting bid $2,500. :)

This morning's project was building the brackets for the front lower control arms. The mounts are above the unibody frame. After they are mounted I'll run the numbers through the 3 link calculator and then build the upper mount on passenger side.
Clearance for the drive shaft will be tight, and the only problem there is finding a way to be able to run the bolt through the mount with the drive shaft in place. I might just build the driver side mount as a unit and actually bolt in the mount. Plenty of room for some very large bolts.

Passenger side.
dscn3134.jpg

Drivers
dscn3133.jpg

Back