• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Well, the day didn't go as planned....

PacificEd

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Got up this morning with plans to swap out the bushings in the upper control arms along with some Rough Country lower arms. Everything had a lot of play and all the bushings were dry rotted, split, torn, and sloppy. The upper control arm bolts were even wearing. So Coopman82 (Travis) came over and started to tear into the suspension.

10612812_10203273184812796_7590155088418279425_n.jpg

And this got removed.... uh, I think I just wanted to reinstall the control arms with new bushings.

10603394_10203273184972800_1938505772069032456_n.jpg

So all of these ended up on the shop floor. Notice the bushing condition.

10521094_10203273185212806_7883731084174096717_n.jpg

10347536_10203273185812821_6435586956998651796_n.jpg

So we found these but of course the rubber bushings are missing so....do we wait to order new ones or just reinstall new Clevite rubber OEM bushings in the stock uppers and another set of RC arms?

10635806_10203273185532814_3759170884358071889_n.jpg

Of course we then started looking at the mounts and something just doesn't look right. The reinforcement self tappers are loose. The drivers side looks canted a little more. Hmmmm.

10516891_10203273186092828_1052587528967619942_n.jpg

1912125_10203273186292833_689209382062643720_n.jpg

10502536_10203273186732844_5202035025160448758_n.jpg

And of course this led to a discussion on long arms and such. What brand, crossmembers, reinforcements, 3 link vs radius arms, upgrading to a double shear track bar, etc etc etc. We lost traction at this point.

I did manage to install half of the u-bolts and spring plates that I got from HD Off Road Engineering.

10660087_10203273187932874_8404806058760292330_n.jpg

Oh and Travis happens to mention that my rear main is leaking and wow, what better time to address that issue. Ugggghhh!! Now what ?!?

I then installed new brake pads on my Mother-In-Law's 1998 XJ.

That was my Saturday so far. Whew I'm tired.

Last edited:
Oh and let's not forget that the lower control arms on the axle are all beat to doo doo so why not get some mounts and get them welded in now. It just never ends.

Put some poly bushings in those arms and run it.

If you are considering long arm go rock Krawler 3 link. I've been running that kit and haven't had any issues. As far as cross members go I run the TNT flat belly skid. Works with the rock Krawler with some trimming.

Put some poly bushings in those arms and run it.

If you are considering long arm go rock Krawler 3 link. I've been running that kit and haven't had any issues. As far as cross members go I run the TNT flat belly skid. Works with the rock Krawler with some trimming.

Poly bushings in which arms? I have a set of upper and lower Rubicon Express arms (the silver/black ones in one of the above pictures) and the rubber hourglass bushings are gone.

Poly bushings in all arms. Rubicon express is really good about selling replacement bushings I have changed several of there bushings between my jeep and dads.

My original set up used stock upper control arms and Rough Country lowers. I know you can get poly for the stock uppers. I wonder if the stock lower bushings and the RC arms share the same diameter? Also, the way the Rubicon Express arms are made, the bushings would have to be an hourglass shape to fit. The inside bore isn't smooth.

I've always heard to stay away from Poly as they transmit a lot of vibration to the body of the XJ. I have to drive mine up to 7 hours one way for some wheeling trips and would hate to get worn out just driving to and from a ride.

Here are the Rubicon Express uppers and lowers with flex joints. You can barely see the 4 knobs on the inside of the gray arms. Will the poly bushings fit these?

OK, I was just trying to be sure.

I went with rubber bushings because the last XJ I had poly in sucked on the road. I have a set of WJ axle end UCA bushings in the garage to install in my XJ, I read somewhere they are better than stock XJ. Can't remember where I read that though... been a few years.

I went with rubber bushings because the last XJ I had poly in sucked on the road. I have a set of WJ axle end UCA bushings in the garage to install in my XJ, I read somewhere they are better than stock XJ. Can't remember where I read that though... been a few years.

I have heard this before. Really depends on what you are comfortable with. I realize I drive a modified XJ and my XJ has dual purposes for me. I prefer the poly bushings for rigidity and longevity........but it's kind of like switching motor mounts to poly mounts, all the sudden you feel every little thing your jeep is doing

Poly never lasts in any of my junk.... But I'm a touch harder on things than you are. I have never had an issue with road noise transfer with anything other than heims, and even then it's an acceptable trade off for the durability and ease of maintenance

Got a call in to RSOR to get new HD lower mounts welded on along with beefing up the passenger side control arm mount. Just need to work out a time to meet up with him to perform the surgery.

Decisions still to be made on keeping the short arms and drop brackets versus jumping to long arms. To keep the short arms, I can rebuild the Rubicon Express parts with the Super-Flex joints and tighten down everything on the drop brackets (and maybe add some tack welds).

If I go long arm, it will create other potential issues (and expenses). My JKS track bar isn't made for that kind of flex so a new upgraded, double shear track bar mount will be required (RE1660) that I can use with a RE track bar Mark had left over. Also I could need new longer travel shocks and possibly a different steering set-up. It sure would be nice to have a better ride and no more drop brackets.

Decisions, decisions....uggghhh

I stopped by O'Reilly's and picked up a oil pan gasket, rear main seal, and a new drain plug with seal. I didn't think $48 was too bad.

As much as I want long arms, I've decided to stick with the short arms and still get the rear locker.

I ordered the replacement bushings along with some spare parts for the Rubicon Express arms I've got lined up to use. I still need to order a part for my JKS track bar that has worn.

I just hope I can have everything back together in time for Jack's birthday party.

I just bit the bullet and ordered 2 replacement split cone bushings for my JKS track bar and while I was at it another axle end bushing just in case. At least if I need spares I will have them now.

Coopman82 and I are planning to do a rear main and oil pan gasket this coming Saturday afternoon. It should be fun as neither one of us has done one before.

I just bit the bullet and ordered 2 replacement split cone bushings for my JKS track bar and while I was at it another axle end bushing just in case. At least if I need spares I will have them now.

Coopman82 and I are planning to do a rear main and oil pan gasket this coming Saturday afternoon. It should be fun as neither one of us has done one before.

Take pictures of rear main seal. I am afraid I will be needing to do mine soon! Want to know what BS you run into.

I read 5-90's write up in the FAQ section and it doesn't seem to bad. It should go a little quicker since I have no front suspension or axle in the way.

Back